rated by 0 users
This post has 197 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 12:51 PM

Patti,

Thank you very much yes i have one of those but i cant get on with it, i think its going to be hassle everyone at the Branson retreat and see how they do it (thats one of the problems of not knowing any quilters in person, i tend to have to work it out by myself).

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 109
Points 1,005

I have been reading your progess on your flower garden, I admire anyone that has the time for this kind of handwork. I have only done a couple of flowers which were appliqued to blocks in a sampler, but I have put bindings on several for other people. Most of them  wanted me  to follow the shape of the hexegons around the outside of the quilt, usually the top of the quilt is straight.  I use a fabric marker and just draw around the hexegons to make them curved into a scallope shape around each flower along the outside edges, the corners can be tricky , that is why I draw the seam line on it first. Its hard to explain. Then I trim the little corners off after I have stitched (using sewing machine)  the binding to the top and then turn it over to the back and hand stitch down.  Be sure to use bias binding so it will follow the curves easier. I use 3 inch strips for binding, it gives you a little more room to fold over and stitch. I hope to see a picture of it when you get finished. bj

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,631
Points 48,800
Debbie-do replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 10:21 PM

Frances, Ask me in a week or two if I like the quilting part as well as the piecing.  I finally finished thread basting last night.  My back decided I shouldn't do more than about 20 minutes at a time.  I really haven't done much hand quilting, mostly just that pillow in my gallery so I'm wondering just how it's going to go with a  quilt on a 26 x 19" hoop.  I can't remember if I put that pillow top in a hoop or not.

Patti and I were thinking alike with regards to making something.  Surely there are plans online.  Check this out:  http://www.hgtv.com/video/joe-sladkys-quilt-frame-video/index.html  I really miss this show .

BJ, thanks!  I pondered whether to leave the edges angled or just cut them off.  I just wasn't up to the challenge.  I pressed out the edges and starched the heck out of the whole top to keep all the edges from flipping around while I sandwiched it.  I used my long ruler and a rotary cutter to trim it up using the edge of the closest finished hexagons as the reference point.

Before I bring my hoop out and get excited about starting I have to make a birthday present for my friend who's birthday was a weekandahalfago, make my Secret Santa giftee something AND cut up my fabric for MQ7 now that my cutting tables are free again.  Hopefully I'll get at least one of those done this weekend!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 8:27 PM

Has anyone been thinking of buying the precut hexagons papers?  www.paperpieces.com has free shipping until Nov 24th, domestic AND international shipping so even Frances gets free shipping!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 8:40 PM

Look at the top quilt on this page. If you click on it you can see a bigger picture

It's a king size quilt made with 1/4" hexies, over 60,000 of them. That is alot of patience to complete that!

http://www.paperpieces.com/contents/en-us/d7.html#p320

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,631
Points 48,800
Debbie-do replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:50 PM

Jacy:

Look at the top quilt on this page. If you click on it you can see a bigger picture

It's a king size quilt made with 1/4" hexies, over 60,000 of them. That is alot of patience to complete that!

Oh My gosh!!  WoW!!  That's totally inSANE!!  I like watching the progress in the slideshow.  It *almost* feels like a challenge!   HA!  Thanks for sharing that Jacy.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:51 PM

Bless you Jacy for thinking of me. I will check these out. Getting lazy as i get older cant be bothered to cut out mine anymore.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:58 PM

Jacy:

Well done Jacy, at least you have found Debbies next project, Dont worry Debbie if you dont have enough fabric i will send you some, just think this would keep you quiet for at least a couple of months:)

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 7:51 AM

Debbie,

You must be too busy picking out your fabrics for the insanity quilt, ah well keeps you out of trouble.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,631
Points 48,800
Debbie-do replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 9:00 AM

Frances, thanks for thinking of me.  I'm afraid that challenge is going on the back burner for now. My GFG is in the hoop ready for me to start the quilting, my MQ7 is in pieces waiting to be sewn together, my MQ5 waits to be sandwiched and quilted for my step daughter for Christmas (tho in will probably end up being a birthday gift in March), there's a double wedding ring I started over a year ago that needs to be finished for Christmas (just a wall hanging, but the first anniversary was last week) .  I"m expecting a pattern to come in the mail today for a bag I 'volunteered' to make months ago that needs to be done soon AND I just received EQ7 in the mail yesterday and I have a feeling that will eat up some time as well.  So... I have enough to keep me out of trouble and quiet for months!

Hope you're doing well :)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 10:03 AM

Im doing great honey,

So im presuming you will be joining the UFO 2013 group then??? :)

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,631
Points 48,800
Debbie-do replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 10:14 AM

Yeah, I should really try to finish up a bunch before I start anything new!  In my dreams!!  LOL

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 2:03 PM

Well if you make it up to 365 ufo then you will have one for each day of the week.

Im okay until Thea starts posting things, i brought the book on one block wonders after i saw her quilt, and then when i saw her halloween quilt im tempted to get that one too, and we dont even celebrate halloween in our household, i think shes a bad influence on me.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:03 PM

Debbie,

Honey hows your quilt coming along????

lots of love

Francesxxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,687
Points 179,408
Marie replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:14 PM

France's, nice to see you posting again, I missed you.

Millbury, MA

Page 13 of 14 (198 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use