rated by 0 users
This post has 197 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:52 AM

Okay nice and easy,

Slice your panetone, spread with butter and for an extra tang spread with marmalade (dont know if you call it that jelly made with oranges)  place in a deep oven dish (the kind you would cook a casserole in) if you want an extra place dried fruit in between slices with a sprinkling of vanilla sugar. next take a jug put about 2 pints of milk in and 2 eggs a bit of sugar ( i dont measure probably about 2 tablespoons) 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and for an extra kick a bit of brandy whisk pour over the pannetone put in the oven until its golden brown serve with cream or custard.

lots of love

Francesxx

Marie really i just make it up as i go along or whats in my food cupboard at the timexx

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:03 PM

Ok ,Frances and Marie what is Panetone?? never heard of it. A mid west small town girl LOL    Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,826
Points 123,520

Barbara:

Ok ,Frances and Marie what is Panetone?? never heard of it. A mid west small town girl LOL    Barbara

I also wondered and had to Google it. Here's what I found...

Panettone is a type of sweet bread loaf originally from Milan 2] usually prepared and enjoyed for Christmas and New Year in Italy, southeastern France, Brazil

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 178,388
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:52 PM

Thanks for the recipe, Frances, I'll be sure to try it this year, yum!

Frances:
vanilla sugar

I get all the rest but this is foreign to me?

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Debbie-do:
I'm not sure how to approach the quilting.  I've got a  floor hoop and a plain hoop... I've never hand quilted a quilt!   Any suggestions??

Debbie,

Been a while since I've done any hand quilting, but here is a blog site that may have some inspiration for you.  Look down the left side of the page and there are some old post under the "hoops and frames" subject.   Mostly it will come down to what is most comfortable for you to quilt using...frame, hoop, or even holding in your hand. Practice each way and see what works best for you.  

I used to hand quilt in a frame, but the last quilt I did by hand I basted really well and worked on it without a frame or hoop. It was a lap quilt so it wasn't hard too manage.

Your quilt is beautiful, and I love the SW style!  Have fun with your quilting. http://celebratehandquilting.blogspot.com/

Max

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 178,388
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:58 PM

Barbara, Judy is correct, it is a sweet bread.  I'll let you in on a secret as long as you don't share it with my BIL from Naples.  We have it here in MA at the CVS Pharmacy.  It's in a beautiful red box with a gold ribbon, comes in the shape of an angel food cake.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 2:14 PM

Judy and Barbara,

It is also speckled with fruit through it and its very light the one i buy is big and round but you can get mini ones as well.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 2:18 PM

Marie:

Thanks for the recipe, Frances, I'll be sure to try it this year, yum!

Frances:
vanilla sugar

I get all the rest but this is foreign to me?

Well you can buy it but the easy way is to stick a vanilla pod in a bag with some sugar it gives it the flavour of vanilla, leave the pod in and every so often just top your sugar up its great to use for puddings and in custard (not sure if you have custard).

lots of love

Francesxx

By the way do you have marmalade (orange jelly) and if so what do you call it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 2:45 PM

I am making some green tomato chutney.   Everything is in kilos and grams, and they want me to bung the ingredients in a food processor.   2 kilos of green tomatoes!  Didn't have a food processor, so I had to chop everything.  Then I had to substitute a few things.  No raisins, so used dates.  Added more peppers and less sugar.  Thought it was too sweet and not hot enough last year.  We shall see.  Hope it turns out as there is a lot of it. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,603
Points 178,388
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 5:04 PM

That's interesting Frances.  Yes we do have marmalade and that's what we call it.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:30 PM

Debbie,

Honey how far have you got?

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,618
Points 48,360

Hi Frances,

I'm about 3/4 of the way through thread basting !  How are you coming with yours?

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,618
Points 48,360

Max, thanks for your link.  I've decided that once I'm done thread basting I'll try putting in on my oval floor hoop and see how it goes.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:47 PM

Well done Debbie,

Just a little more to do and then you can get to quilting, do you like the quilting part im hoping maybe someone at Branson retreat will be hand quilting and show me how, i think i probably need to get a floor stand and hoop but they are really expensive over here about $400 since they come from the states in the first place, i dont have space enough for a full size quilt frame, but im not sure if i can do a full size quilt on a hoop any ideas?

My EPP has become less portable as its getting too big so i think i will sew it in segments and then sew it all together.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 9:13 AM

Frances, I have used a snap together pvc pipe quilt frame.  You can get them in various sizes, very light weight, or even make one.  google pvc quilt frame, and you can even find directions for making one.  Its about as inexpensive as you can get for a quilt frame. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 12 of 14 (198 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use