Top 10 Posters

Southwestern Grandma's Flower Garden

Page 11 of 14 (198 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 197 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,795
Debbie-do replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:13 PM

Marie:

Debbie-do:
will they still have some on the bolt when I get there!?

Debbie, keeping my fingers crossed that they will.

YES!  Woo Hoo!  They had more than enough.  I'm so glad because I really didn't want to have to think tonight...

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:33 AM

Debbie,

I would have kept my fingers crossed for you but due to the time difference i was snoring my head off, but im very glad they had enough for you.

lots of love

Francesxx

Ps yes you are an expert cause you finished one i think i must have committment issues lots on the go without coming to the end of one.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 12:40 AM

Marie:
everyone is so caught up in all the hustle and bustle, we've even lost that.

Marie,

Maybe i just make more of an effort im not sure, how do you celebrate Marie and what do you have for Christmas Dinner, and does it change state to state is Debbie more likely to have something different to you, here we pretty much all have the same Roast Turkey, Roast Potatoes, Roast Parsnips, Sage and Onion Stuffing, Yorkshire Pudding, Cranberry sauce and Carrots, Brussel Sprouts and Peas.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,795

One difference in Christmas dinner I've found between Texas and the northeast is everyone loves and expects corn bread stuffing down here which I'm not a big fan of.  Growing up in New England (and most of my adult life -10 years) we always had bread stuffing.  Mom made it from packaged stuffing mix, my mother-in-law made it with fresh bread.  She also made about 10 different vegegables and several other side dishes while mom was straight forward with turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, bread stuffing, mashed potatos.  Another difference here in Texas is there is usually a turkey AND a ham and you'll usually find some jalapenos in something!  Desserts are the same... pie!  Pumpkin, apple, pecan.  yummm

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,681
Points 179,378
Marie replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 4:39 PM

Frances:
what do you have for Christmas Dinner

Well Frances, it has changed since I was younger but I'll try to give you some idea.  First of all, I am of Italian decent so our big celebration was always Christmas Eve.  We had fish of all kinds, some baked, some fried and some put into soup.  Pasta cooked with olive oil, walnuts, bread crumbs, anchovies.  Broccoli soup with dry cod and pasta.  Fried smelts, srimp and octopus.  Baked stuffed squid.  Fried bread dough, first one made into the shape of a cross and the rest into large doughnut shape.  For dessert, everyones favorite pies which were numerous.  Not many got to the pie so Christmas morning was pie and a beverage.  Mid afternoon was turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes smothered in turkey gravy, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, corn, antipasto and to top everything off a big serving of PEPTO BISMOL.  :  )

For the past four years we're down to baked stuffed haddock and fried shrimp and a salad for Christmas Eve.  Leftovers for Christmas dinner along with a lasagna and meatballs.  Just a couple of pies for dessert.   

For Thanksgiving we will have turkey and the fixings at my DD's newly renovated home.  Her first holiday as a host, wish us luck, her name is SANDY!  LOL

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,795
Debbie-do replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 11:16 PM

The back of my quilt is ready to go!  Woo Hoo!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 1:53 AM

Debbie,

Way to go, do you only work on one quilt at a time, because you seem to be very quick.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 1:55 AM

Debbie,

Best you wait too start Christmas dinner until I knock on the door, im at your place this year.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 1:59 AM

Marie,

Do you not have pannetone, and  when you were younger after eating all that how did you move afterwards.

Im lucky enough to have been to Italy, I loved it and if i could go back anywhere that would be one of my choices.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,795

Frances:

Debbie,

Way to go, do you only work on one quilt at a time, because you seem to be very quick.

lots of love

Francesxx

Frances, I've usually got several things going.  This one took on a life of its own.  I worked on it whenever and wherever  I could and had to force myself to put it down at the end of the night and go to bed.  I'm not entirely sure what that's all about.  I'm glad the temps are finally going down because quilting comes next and having a lap full of quilt when it's warm isn't too appealing.  I'm not sure how to approach the quilting.  I've got a  floor hoop and a plain hoop... I've never hand quilted a quilt!   Any suggestions??

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,630
Points 48,795

Frances:

Debbie,

Best you wait too start Christmas dinner until I knock on the door, im at your place this year.

lots of love

Francesxx

You'll be hungry I'm afraid.  Since my divorce, Christmas day is usally pretty quiet around here.  I may have to come to you and have some of your Yorkshire pudding!  We had that a lot growing up and I loved it.  I could never get mine to come out as well as mom's.  My requested birthday dinner growing up was always roast beef -rare, Yorkshire pudding and green beans!  Yum!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 8:45 AM

Debbie,

Im no help on quilting it i havent quilted one yet, i did get part way through hand quilting a log cabin but had to unpick it all because my backing wasnt flat like its supposed to be, since then i havent been brave enough to try again, im hoping at the retreat in Branson i can pick up a few tips.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,681
Points 179,378
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:39 AM

Frances:
Do you not have pannetone, and  when you were younger after eating all that how did you move afterwards.

My BIL always sends us a Pannetone from Italy but we save that for breakfasts the week ofter Christmas.  As for moving afterwards, we didn't, we stayed at the table and "caught up on all the news" for about a half hour.  :  )

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:33 AM

Marie,

I normally have a panetone at Christmas but i make it into a Bread and Butter pudding.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,681
Points 179,378
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:09 AM

Frances:

Marie,

I normally have a panetone at Christmas but i make it into a Bread and Butter pudding.

lots of love

Francesxx

OOH, do tell, that sounds yummy.  We usually slice, toast and butter.  Please share your recipe!

Millbury, MA

Page 11 of 14 (198 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use