Top 10 Posters

Southwestern Grandma's Flower Garden

Page 8 of 14 (198 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 197 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,309
Points 18,345
Erin replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 11:20 PM

Debbie, it looks AWESOME! I cannot believe how quickly it's coming together.

Debbie-do:

I'm so excited to get to this point!  All the whole flowers are together!!   I'll be stitching in some half flowers on the sides then adding the border.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,488
Points 47,820
Frances replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 2:56 AM

Marie,

I forgot to say you might find it easier using Applique or silk thread as it would probably blend in to your fabrics better, so your stitches wont be so visable, when you are stitching on a large hexagon stitch sizes are not such a problem but the smaller the hexagon its more of a problem, anyway hows your orphan does it have a playmate yet.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,488
Points 47,820
Frances replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 2:58 AM

Erin,

Please be careful this is very addictive and before you know it you could be making your own.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 6:25 AM

Debbie

Your quilt is beautiul.  This has always been one of my favorite patterns.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,309
Points 18,345
Erin replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:49 AM

Frances~ I started making Hex flowers months ago, I wanted to "try to make one" and I made 12!!! My hands started cramping so I sat them aside. Now when I am watching TV, on long car rides or just bored I make a flower or two. Not sure exactly how many I have at this point (a large basket full) but I think it is probably time to start making my white background pieces...LOL This will be for a spare bedroom so I am really in no hurry and I do enjoy making each beautiful, scrappy flower!! :)

Erin

Frances:

Erin,

Please be careful this is very addictive and before you know it you could be making your own.

lots of love

Francesxx

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,282
Points 173,413
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 10:34 AM

Debbie, this is lovely, you did a great job.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,282
Points 173,413
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 10:40 AM

Frances:

Marie,

I forgot to say you might find it easier using Applique or silk thread as it would probably blend in to your fabrics better, so your stitches wont be so visable, when you are stitching on a large hexagon stitch sizes are not such a problem but the smaller the hexagon its more of a problem, anyway hows your orphan does it have a playmate yet.

lots of love

Francesxx

Thanks for the info.  

My orphan has a mate still in pieces though.  I also put her in with the mama pieces I enjoyed making.  Working these small ones is not for me.  This is the size I like to work on.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,282
Points 173,413
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 10:52 AM

Frances, here is a better photo.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,282
Points 173,413
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 10:54 AM

Frances, did you start your wall hanging from the book?  What size hexies do you plan to use?

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,541
Points 46,765
Debbie-do replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 6:02 PM

Thank you ladies.  I was a little bleary eyed last night when I was done and by light of day (and a good night's sleep) I realized I shouldn't put any half flowers but fill out the empty spaces with background and make one more row around the outside of background then add borders .

Marie, your bigger hexies  are looking great.  They seem to be about the same size as mine.  I haven't tried the minis yet.

Frances, that's a great idea about the silk thread.

Erin, sounds like you've been well warned!  When I start I find it hard to stop.

I'm trying to decide if I should be a 'purist' as Agnes put it and hand stitch the borders and binding on .  Looking for volunteers to talk me out of it. :o)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,309
Points 18,345
Erin replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:06 PM

Marie:

Frances, here is a better photo.

Wow Marie~ how small are the small hexes??  Mine are 2 inches finished and that's small enough for me. Yours are awful cute though, you must have a lot of patience!

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,488
Points 47,820
Frances replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 11:40 PM

Erin,

Please can we have pictures, everyones hexies always look so different, i feel great now i thought i was about the only one doing this now i find theres quite a few doing it.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,488
Points 47,820
Frances replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 11:44 PM

Marie,

Your adult hexies look great such beautiful colours, and i really love your baby hexies they are so cute.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,488
Points 47,820
Frances replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 11:48 PM

No Marie,

I havent started the wall hanging yet (i think this will be an over christmas to do since i have 2 weeks off work over Christmas) as for size well i was convinced to make them bigger but now ive seen yours.........im rethinking see what you do to me, i am thinking of changing the wording instead of welcome home something more me like "insanity lives here".

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,488
Points 47,820
Frances replied on Wed, Oct 24 2012 11:55 PM

Debbie,

Rather you than me putting borders and binding on by hand i draw the line i can hand stitch hexies but i dont  trust my stiching well enough to do borders.

I cant take the credit for the silk idea, Gini has been teaching us in the Applique group and she suggested it (it just took me a while to remember it). One of the best things i ever did was join QCA i would never have attempted Applique on my own, or tried so many different things or seen so many things that inspire me.

lots of love

Francesxx

Page 8 of 14 (198 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use