Page 1 of 14 (198 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 197 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,604
Points 48,215
Debbie-do Posted: Sat, Aug 11 2012 8:40 AM

Does anyone know where I can buy precut fabric hexigons (solid color for background) in large quantities?  or better yet, do you have a method of cutting them yourself?  Someone gave me several hundred hexis and I've been busy basting them to templates but it occurred to me that I'll need at least as many plain color hexis for the background  in order to do a grandma's flower garden!  Cutting all those templates out was a pain and I'm looking for an easier solution for the background.  The fabric ones I'm working with have 2" sides.  Thanks for your help!! 

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,951
Points 368,307
Kris replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 11:54 AM

Debbie-do,

I'm not sure about fabric but you can get templates from Paper Pieces. Cut squares to use with the templates.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 12:49 PM

Sorry Debbie-do,

Im no help i do EPP most of the time but i always cut out my own hexagons, in England we have lots of paper posted through the door advertising, so thats what i use to cut my hexagons. A warning however i once brought a partway finished Grandmothers Garden from Ebay and the hexagons were so inaccurate it was unfinishable, thats part of the reason why i always cut my own (if its out in its measurements then there is only one person to blame).

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 1:01 PM

Debbie, there are several rulers for cutting hexagons, here's what they have Joann has

http://www.joann.com/search/_hexagon_ruler/

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Debbie,

I did a google for 'pre-cut fabric hexagons'.

There are a few sites, mostly outside the US, that have pre-cut hexies.

Another thing you may consider, AuccuQuilt GO has dies for cutting hexies.  If you know someone with a GO cutter, maybe they would cut them for you in the colors you need, if you buy them the die.  Just a thought.

Max

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,604
Points 48,215
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:17 PM

Thanks Kris, the paper template part is in the bag.  I was hoping to find some ready cut pieces of background fabric!  Do you think I'll need to trim corners off the fabric squares?

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,604
Points 48,215
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:21 PM

Thanks Frances!  I managed to cut my templates from a collection of cards that fall out of magazines and other ads and faux covers on/in magazines.  The fabric hexis that were given to me must have been cut with a CriCut or something similar.  They're all perfect.  I'm down to about the 25 when I realized I'm no where near done with the basting part because I need to do all the background as well.

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,604
Points 48,215
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:24 PM

Jacy, thanks for the link.  Maybe if I cut the squares to size like Kris suggests I can trim the corners with the template!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,604
Points 48,215
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:28 PM

Max, I came up short too when googling the same.  I figured if Google didn't know certainly someone here would have the answer!  I don't have many local quilting buddies so I'm afraid I won't be able to use your idea.  I *could* just buy a go-baby myself!  I"ve needed an excuse to do so...  hmmm.....

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 6:42 AM

Debbie-do,  I think I remember Someone named Rose who said she does that as part of one of the services she offers.  I'm sorry I don't remember the real name of her quilt site , she had started going to some shows, so I don't know how often she is on here. Actually, I thought she would have jumped in here on that by now.   Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,951
Points 368,307
Kris replied on Sun, Aug 12 2012 3:14 PM

Debbie-do:

Thanks Kris, the paper template part is in the bag.  I was hoping to find some ready cut pieces of background fabric!  Do you think I'll need to trim corners off the fabric squares?

Debbie,

I don't think you'll need to cut the corners off. I've seen a few people cut squares just big enough to cover the templates. YOu still get a hexagon shape without the hassle.

Ginny is talking about Rose. She has Custom Quilt Kits. She will die cut your fabric for you. That's a good idea.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 7:48 PM

Kris

I was just about to recommend Rose as well.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 9:03 PM

Thanks to you Kris for remembering the key info about Rose that my weary brain couldn't remember.  Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,604
Points 48,215
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 6:06 PM

I ended up cutting strips to width then cutting squares.  I tried basting w/o cutting off the corners but it bugged me so I cut corners off as I went.  I've got all 66 centers basted and I've started putting together the flowers in my southwestern flower garden.  I'm going to wait to pick out background fabric.  It takes at least 45 minutes to sew one flower together and I'm wishing I had bifocals! 

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:38 PM

Debbie

These are very pretty.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 14 (198 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use