Top 10 Posters

What good finds have you found at a goodwill or thrift shop to use for quilting?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 1,780
Lindy Posted: Thu, Aug 9 2012 10:01 PM

So this week I went to the good will store and found some really good buys to do my donation quilts for kids.  I was fixing to buy some fleece because it is so soft but the other day I'm looking and I find these sheets. They look really great and only a $1.50 a piece so I bought 3 of them, 2 white and one brown. So when I separated them I know can make 8 quilts and put them on the back of my quilts. I'm so happy I know me I would have spent like 20 dollars or more to get that much fabric. So I just wanted to share this I just wanted to know what you have gotten that has saved you money.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 5:36 AM

I buy wool clothing, to cut up, and put up in my stash for   my   ( one of these days)

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 6:54 AM

My best deal was my drop in sewing cabinet with double extension tables. Best deal I've ever gotten. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,531
Points 51,085
Ginny replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:10 AM

I haave tried that, but not very good luck.  I think the pickers go thru our area and grab it all.  Either that or there are too many others having the same thoughts.  Ginny

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
jretzlaff replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:41 AM

That is so great!  I actually work at a Goodwill and make denim blankets.  I buy all my denim there :)  I love it.  Trust me working there is just as great as shopping there, all the treasures you see!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 143
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:56 AM

My wife haunts the thrift shops for us. I am not mobility qualified for those narrow cluttered aisles.

She finds gobs of stuff. Real quilt cloth and such is there sometimes. She gets lots of new or nearly cotton clothes and we cut those up. She has found a surprising amount of high-quality silk as well.

Not only do I like the nearly free cloth but my social rebel side delights in cutting up snooty brands for quilt cloth.

Upcoming, well the top is done, a car quilt called "two-shirts-and-a-sheet" because, well. You get it.

And she makes aprons from dresses, and lots more. We use sheets for quilt backs. We love the thrift score.

Wait, one more wandering thought before I go. Cutting all these snooty labels up learned me about how stuff is made. You should try it if you haven't. And I report that the best made thing I've cut to pieces was a lady's shirt by LL Bean. Those are made to last, I tell you what.

Happy Thrifting.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 8:29 AM

I have gotten some nice shirts and dresses at Goodwill.  I also got a really nice treadle sewing machine at Goodwill.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 8:35 AM

Thanks for the reminder.  We have a row of Thrift shops all lined up together, making it so easy to thrift shop.  Think I'll go there on my way home from work today.  Hope I find great stuff like you all did....

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 656
Points 16,605

I buy sheets and men's shirts for my charity lap robes.  I shop an independent charity store as Goodwill has gotten way too expensive around here.  My last find was 2 100% cotton double sheets for $2.00 each, and they were brand new.  Shirts for 10 cents on the last Friday of each month are a great bargain.  I look for ones with more cotton than poly.  Another recent great buy was a king sized bedskirt for $1.00.  The drop turned out to be 100% cotton and the platform 50/50.  Judging by the label, I don't think it had ever been used. 

Although I haven't done one, I have a pattern for a jeans quilt.  If I choose to do one, I'll wait until jeans and pants are 10 cents and load up.   

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,406
Points 415,664
gini replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:48 PM

i get most of my wool from thrifts on their half off days.  and clothes for the kids and sam and me.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,200
Pamela replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:15 PM

Leslie :
I buy wool clothing, to cut up, and put up in my stash

Ditto. My best wool buy was a all around pleated skirt. After taking out the pleats, the fabric quantity was yards long.

• Filed under:
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 143
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 8:02 AM

And then there's Craigs List. That has worked out well several time. My wife watches for Yard Sales that have fabric in. We have scored big several times. Last time I chortled here about the score at the quilt lady yard sale, about two banana boxes of "scraps" for $7. And her idea of scraps does not match mine. Yards, what I mean.

We have several good scores on there, maybe three of four a year in this area. Good stuff.

And she's still looking, who know what this weekend could bring?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use