rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 11:42 PM

Marie:
I snip one edge of the fabric from the selvage and pull a thread across grain and clip as I go.

Marie, you learned to sew in 6th grade?  I didn't learn until 7th grade.  You must have gone to the gifted school!

I like your straight of grain technique.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977

I use to rip  and I use to get ripped :)

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 8:12 AM

MNnancy:
Marie, you learned to sew in 6th grade?  I didn't learn until 7th grade.  You must have gone to the gifted school!

Nancy, it probably was 7th grade, can't count on my memory these days.  I'm going to take another guess here and say, the only thing the school was gifted with was quite a few "hunks", one of which I married.  You know, the one with the great legs.  : )

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 8:23 AM

I like this demonstration. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 8:55 AM

Leslie :
 I use to rip  and I use to get ripped :)

Careful Leslie, it takes longer to recuperate from a party night after you turn 50!  LOL

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 37
Points 275

I was also taught this method.  To me, ripping seems to pull too much on the threads, like you have to do a clean cut to get rid of it.  I guess these days, anything goes!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 3:19 PM

Has anyone else used the 2-person pulling method to "straighten the grain" of the fabric.  I have shown a few friends how to do this. 

I learned this years ago from my DMIL who was an excellent seamstress.  She hated to waste even an inch of fabric!  She also worked for many years in a fabric store.

This is hard to described and it does takes a little time, but it does work very well.  You gradually put tension on the length of the fabric...both people would start on the corner on their left (or right).  Moving across the width..pulling with less tension on the side that is least out of square and more where it is most out of square.  It does work to bring the selvage edges more closely into square without the wave on the fold.  I have used this on fabric that is way out of whack to waste less fabric when I cut to square.  (My husband just loves this honey-do project...LOL!  But he has gotten pretty good at it over the years!)

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 6:04 PM

Donna, I have used this method on my own at times.  Not easy and if it's a big piece of fabric I  do it stretching my arms out and moving down the fabric to the other end but mostly I use the pull one thread method.  Works for me.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977

Oh I'm safe Nancy, haven't done that in 30 years, lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 10:09 PM

Donna B:
Moving across the width..pulling with less tension on the side that is least out of square and more where it is most out of square.

Might have to have you demonstrate this at Leavenworth.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 10:11 PM

MNnancy:
Might have to have you demonstrate this at Leavenworth.

Be happy to!

Winthrop, WA

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use