rated by 0 users
This post has 130 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:58 AM

Nancy

I have been wondering the same thing.  I used to couldn't find anything in JoAnns that I would use for quilting.  Now I am finding several different brands that have really nice fabric.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,200
Pamela replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:33 PM

MNnancy:

Interesting how many good reviews we're getting for JoAnn's.  I wonder if they've come to realize they needed to improve the quality of their fabrics.

I've found many fabrics in the last few years that are good quality. They have quilter branded fabrics now, as well. They also have on-line shopping available.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 10:14 AM

I just finished a quilt top in which I used an off-white Makower "Essential Dots" as a neutral background.  This fabric seems thinner than the other fabrics surrounding it, and is fraying more.  I'm going to give this sample a thumbs down.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 10:18 AM

Update 08.14.2012 / 10 a.m.

Fabric Brand

Thumbs Up

Thumbs Down

Comments

*You may assign a rating of ½, 1, or 2 thumbs up or down.

Andover

Excellent weave, very little fraying, soft good colors and sews up well.

Anthology

Slightly stiff, due to sizing. Doesn't get flimsy when washed.

Benartex

A lot of varieties of prints, good basic fabric. One sample seems softer than another.  Affected by the dying process?  Love Fossil Fern blendables.

Blank

Usually can find more reasonably priced online than in LQS but quality is a plus in their fabric line.

Camelot Cottons

Clothworks

Connecting Thrds - cotton

Good quality for the price. Quirky color combinations? (Opposing - I don't like for hand appliqué.  It is fine for piecing.) Halfhearted thumbs up.

Connecting Thrds - batiks

Fabric Editions

Weave is good, the colors and patterns/variety are excellent, no problem with colors running, starchiness or shrinkage, even the ones I got at the Walmart.

Fabri-Quilt

They make a good line but they also have a very cheap quality in one of their lines of fabric.  It is a brand that I have to see and feel.

Free Spirit

A division of Westminster Fabrics.

Henry Glass

Includes Peter Pan Fabrics, Inc.

Hoffman -cotton

They are a leader in the quality of fabrics that they put on the market. Have never seen a lesser quality of fabrics under their umbrella.

Hoffman - batiks

In the Beginning

Great silky feel

Joann Fabrics

David Textiles, Legacy Studios, and Colorbok seem to be good quality. Debbie Mumm (MMFab) is good. JoAnn’s own holiday fabric has strong weave yet soft to touch. (Opposing – watch out for cheaper qualities of fabrics here.) Several comments that Joann’s is improving overall.

Kaufman – cotton (inc. Kona & Fusions)

Fusions: Rainbow of colors, washes up, weave is not too tight, nice feel to the fabric, prefer these for blending over Moda Marbles. (Kona solids difficult for hand quilting)

Kaufman - batiks

A big thumbs up to the Robert Kaufman's 'Artisans Batiks'.   I've bought both jelly rolls and yardage of both of these lines, and love them.

Lakehouse

Very good quality.

Makower UK

(Neutral “Essential Dots” is thin and frays)

Marcus Fabrics

Very nice fabric, good tight weave, soft and great color.

Michael Miller

Moda

Beautiful look and feel!  (Opposing – had some that frayed / Moda Marbles by Patrick Lose are too thin) Another person likes Moda Marbles, so some disagreement there.

Northcott

Very smooth – almost a sheen.  Like their flannels, too.

P & B

Soft and smooth with lovely prints.

Red Rooster

Riley Blake

Have a looser weave to them - nice prints though so maybe a half-hearted thumbs up.

RJR

Jinny Beyer! among other lines.

South Sea Imports

A division of MMFab.  Includes Debbie Mumm.

Studio E

Nice "hand" and good tight weave - some nice contemporary prints.

Timeless Treasures - cotton

Good basic brand. (If from Walmart -  tends to be starched, which washes out and causes warping)

Timeless Trsures - batik

Tonga Treats

Unbranded backing

Ordered from Fabric.com. This had a real silky feel, but the design looks and feels stamped not woven and I could plainly see my fingers through it. 

VIP

It is a little stiff, but workable. This is a wildly variable brand. Some are good, others barely acceptable. (If from Walmart - tends to be starched, which washes out and causes warping)

Westminster Fabrics

Includes Kaffe Fassett, Free Spirit, Ty Pennington, and Rowan.

Wilmington Prints

A division of MMFab.

Windham

Wonderful, feels fabulous and a good tight weave

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 8:16 PM

Nancy

I have a fabric from my stash that I cut today that is Seattle Bay Cottons.  I give it a Thumbs up.  Great hand, good weight.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 8:29 PM

I hadn't heard of this one, Nana, so I googled it.  It's a division of Kona Bay Fabrics (no relationship to Kaufmann Kona solids), and it has some really interesting looking Asian fabrics.  Thanks, I'll add it to the chart.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 12:06 AM

The one I have isn't an asian but it sure is pretty.  I would definitely buy more of their fabrics.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 15 2012 10:43 PM

Nana,I have seen some of this brand at some of the quilt shops online, I have never tired it , but I'll keep an eye open for it local. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 11:03 AM

MNnancy:

I hadn't heard of this one, Nana, so I googled it.  It's a division of Kona Bay Fabrics (no relationship to Kaufmann Kona solids), and it has some really interesting looking Asian fabrics.  Thanks, I'll add it to the chart.

Gosh, I just read an article not too long ago about the two "sisters" that started this.  It is actually sisters-in-law (if I remember correctly) and the "in-law" is of asian heritage.  I believe they did have a quilt shop in Snohomish, WA but I just tried to google it and came up with nothing.  I became aware of them from the little ads in the quilt magazines (FPLOQ).  They do have some gorgeous batik-like prints, leaning toward asian influence.  If I have a chance, I will find a link after I get back home (have to shower now and go to the SAIL class - need to keep these "old people" moving...LOL!).

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:01 AM

I just found this link and find it very interesting.  I buy a lot of fabric online and haven't had any problems with any of it. I try to buy neutrals when shopping for the first time before buying any colored fabric. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 7:25 AM

Bringing this thread forward now that the site is working better.  We welcome fabric reviews from all our members.

I found this on Quilting Board and thought it was pertinent to our discussion...

Q:  How does a bolt of fabric become a flat fold? Are the flat folds a cheaper type of fabric? 
A:  Fabric that failed quality control at the mill is distributed as flat folds. It is usually cheaper than the fabric of the same kind that has passed all inspections. But it does not mean that such fabric is necessarily bad or unusable for quilting purposes. Just check it thoroughly before you buy to make sure it's good enough for you, and you'll end up with a better deal on pretty much the same fabric.

Page 9 of 9 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use