rated by 0 users
This post has 130 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 10:12 AM

Nancy

Thanks for all your hard work.  I must say that I haven't really paid much attention to brands before but will definitely be watching closer now.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 12:00 PM

Nancy, I just received my fabric from the shop that Thea told us about with the fabric sale. I'm very pleased with what I received . One is from Henry Glass Fabric which Si beautiful ,very nice weave to it ,soft and has good color,I think this is a good thumbs up fabric,. My next one is from Marcus Fabric ,again very nice fabric , good tight weave, soft and great color, I give it a thumbs up as well.One of the fabric that was not marked on the web page is called P & B Fabric ,100% cotton and is beautiful .very good weave , nice a silky smooth and its a neutral so can't give you much on this . My last one is from Andover Fabric . again good weave color this fabric is a little stiffer then the other but still soft .I had ordered another fabric but it was out of stock so I didn't get any .all the fabric is I received get a thumbs up .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 209
Points 2,170
StefiKay replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 12:24 PM

MNnancy:
Has anyone purchased name brand backing fabric, or is it all a cheaper product?

I haven't made it all the way through this thread yet so maybe this has been mentioned already but I've found Backside Fabrics and Thousands of Bolts both have a pretty good variety of Brand name Backings. I've ordered from both and depending on the Brand you do get the quality you would expect. Both of those stores are online.

For the Fabric ratings I was wondering if anyone else has used "Fabric Palette" from Fabric Editions? I can get it from both my LQS and WalMart, but I was wondering if it was a brand specific to Canada?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 10
mjclk replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 1:23 PM

Thanks!  This is not only great for buying online, but for buying at resellers.  A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to shop at a store that buys lots from co's going out of business or with overstocks.  They had a lot of quilter quality fabric, but I was leary to buy anything where I didn't recognize the brand name - Blank being one of them.  I got some great buys, but might have gotten some more if I'd had this list!  Again, thanks!!!  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 2:10 PM

Barbara, good to hear that the sale fabrics were quality after all!  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 2:12 PM

StefiKay, I haven't heard of "Fabric Palette" or "Fabric Editions," but even if it's Canada specific, we should add it to the chart because the US customers occasionally order from Canada (though not too often since your prices appear to be higher).  Would you give them a thumbs up or down?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 209
Points 2,170

I'd give them one thumb up....the weave is good, the colors and patterns/variety are excellent, I have had no problem with colors running, starchiness or shrinkage, even the ones I got at the Walmart, but not quite as good as Northcott and Bernatex who I would give both two thumbs up.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 2:26 PM

Ha, StefiKay, you do the same thing I keep doing with the Bernatex name.  It's actually Benartex.  Why does that seem so awkward?  I think Bernatex flows better.  They should switch their name.  :-)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 335
Heather replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 6:27 PM

I am from Canada as well and do find that good fabric is fairly expensive here. I have purchased from about 5 online stores in the US and have been pleased with the quality of all the fabric.  My favorite companies are Moda, Benartex, Makower UK, Free Spirit and Robert Kaufman.  I have purchased fabric from Sew Sisters in Ontario and their prices  and quality were  very good.  There is one fabric store in Nova Scotia that does carry good quality fabric and the prices aren't bad but they are usually older lines of fabric. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 783
Points 12,620
Quiltless replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 3:19 PM

Okay.  I have a question about buying fabric online.

(Deleted and moved to the thread "Buying Fabric Online.")

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 9:22 PM

Updated: 08.10.2012 / 9 p.m.

Chart removed for next update.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 10:16 PM

Nancy

I picked up some cotton fabric at JoAnns to make some bedroom curtains.  It is called Colorbok for JoAnn stores.  Has a great hand , good weight, and doesn't fray.   I give it a thumbs up.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 10:48 PM

Interesting how many good reviews we're getting for JoAnn's.  I wonder if they've come to realize they needed to improve the quality of their fabrics.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 335
Heather replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:02 AM

You cannot order online from the store in Nova Scotia.  In the US I have ordered from Fat Quarter Shop, Keepsake Quilting,Hancock's of Paducah, Missouri Star Quilt Company and Fabric.com and was happy with the quality of all the fabrics I received.

Page 8 of 9 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use