Top 10 Posters

Fabric reviews

Page 6 of 9 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 130 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 9:03 PM

Updated: 08.03.2012 / 9 p.m.

Chart removed for next update.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,403
Points 361,167
Kris replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 11:28 PM

MNnancy:

Thanks for your input, Pamela.

As far as the Patrick Lose Marble line going back to the 1990's - I'm wondering if that is like the early Connecting Threads batiks - a bad batch to start with and improvement after the consumers weighed in.  Input anyone - have you seen an improvement in that line?

It's still the same. I have it in a brown and a green. Wouldn't purchase again.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 8:48 AM

So there's another complication to our fabric chart - variations within one brand of fabric.  I've noticed that within the Benartex brand - some are beautiful and some seem more cheaply made.  I'll make a note about the Marbles with the next update.  Maybe if/when others post less than positive reviews, the name of specific lines should be included in case it's not representative of the entire brand.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 8:56 AM

Nancy I have been using osme Andover Fabric ,by I don't know if I"m suppose to tell you the designer or not , by Its Kim Schaefer ,wonder fabric, excellant weave, very little fraying ,soft  gooc colors and sew up well, Thumbs up.

Grand Finale,by Sandy Grvais  for Moda. again excellant weave,sews up wonderful  very little fraying ,good color ,soft ,thumbs up ..

Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 8:58 AM

Thanks for additional reviews, Barbara!

I think we'll just include specific lines with negative ratings.  I don't want to make the chart too cumbersome.

(Did you get some rain last night? We did as a cool front moved through.)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 9:00 AM

Nancy ,no but  I think we are suppose to have a chance for it today ,so keep your fingers crossed ,Right now it is cloudy, so I hope this is a good sign. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,285
MizPat replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 3:24 PM

Anthology: Basic quilting weight. Slightly stiff, due to sizing. Doesn't get flimsy when washed. Thumbs up

Benartex: A lot of varieties of prints, good basic fabric. Thumbs up

Connecting Threads: Cautious thumbs up. Hesitation is due to quirky color combinations and choices.

Hoffman: Two thumbs up. If I could, I'd give it three thumbs up.

Kaufman: Two thumbs up

Kona Bay: Wonderful orientals. Silky hand, but substantial fabrics. Not thin. Two thumbs up

Moda: Top of the line fabrics, with all that implies. Thumbs up

Peter Pan: Basic fabric, slightly coarser than some other brands, but overall acceptable. 1/2 thumbs up

RJR: Jinny Beyer. That says it all! Two thumbs up

Timeless Treasures: Good basic brand. Thumbs up

VIP: This is a wildly variable brand. Some are good, others barely acceptable. 1/2 thumbs up

These are just some of the brands I have in my stash.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 4:30 PM

Miz Pat ,I love the RJR Jenny Byer Fabric ,it is a three thumbs up in my book. I don't think I have ever felt a fabric that was so silky smooth and quilts up wonderful . I like to just sit and hold it . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 4:40 PM

Thanks Pat an Barbara - I've seen some great online deals on Jenny Beyer, and I've never tried it.  I certainly will now.

Thanks, too, for rating Anthology since that was one of the original unknown fabrics that I was wondering about.

I haven't actually been giving any fabrics 2 thumbs up by a single user, but perhaps I should since we've been using the 1/2 thumbs up for some inconsistent brands.  I could go back and tally those 2 thumbs up votes.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,195
Pamela replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 8:51 AM

Agreed. I have several pieces leftover from a block of the month. I've checked them out since to get some additional cuts for anotehr quilt, but decided not to. I will just use up the scraps and not buy anymore.

I really like Robert Kaufman Fusion cottons. They come in a rainbow of colors. It washes up nice and the weave does not warp. The weave is not too tight with a nice feel to the fabric. I now prefer these for blending over the Moda Marbles.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,195
Pamela replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 8:55 AM

I should clarify, I was referring to Kris' comments on the Moda Marbles.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,704
Points 436,475
Nana replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 9:17 AM

I love Kaufman Fusions  ....  2 thumbs up.   I also love Fossil Ferns but don't remember who makes it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 9:49 AM

The Fossil Fern fabric is by Benartex.   Update is overdue - I'll add these tonight!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 10:07 AM

Nancy, just thought in case the review is getting too difficult to control:  Being as your thought was to make "blind" buying not so blind over the internet, how about just limiting detail reviews to those that rate with a thumbs down.  And then have a listing of acceptable lines of fabric to ensure that they have been reviewed and are out of the thumbs down column.

Just a thought, but you know what they say about opinions......  hehe

just seeing if that might help you, because what you're doing is so great and helpful, I don't want it to go away, I have already created a new online shopping list just to try out these fabrics I would have been afraid to buy without actually seeing it.

Thank you for all your hard work and TERRIFIC Idea

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,461
Points 137,928
Stephanie replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 10:36 AM

Moda-Thumbs Up. Every line I have purchased including Marbles is A-1. The wovens are lighter weight and fray easier. I think this is the norm for all fabric termed as  woven 

Bernartex- Thumbs Up

RJR- Robyn Pandolph line thumbs up

MMFab- Debbie Mumm line purchased at Joann's - Thumbs Up

Legacy Studios- Susan Wingett line - Thumbs up

Northcott flannels - Thumbs up

Jenny Beyer- Thumbs up

Red Rooster- Thumbs Up

Fabric.com unbranded backing- Thumbs down . This had a real silky feel, but design looks and feels stamped not woven and I could plainly see my fingers through it. Considering that I only paid  $6.00 a yard for 108 inch wide, what did I expect?

Page 6 of 9 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use