Top 10 Posters

Fabric reviews

Page 5 of 9 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 130 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 8:27 AM

Nancy ,Windham fabric is a very good line of fabric as well ,they do have alot of civil war fabric and it is wonderful ,feels fabulous and a good tight weave to the fabric and sew up great ,I give it 2 thumbs up .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 10:56 PM

Updated: 08.01.2012 / 11 p.m.

Chart removed for next update.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,932
Kris replied on Thu, Aug 2 2012 9:16 PM

Just an FYI Nancy. Timeless Treasures do not make Bali Pops. Those are from Hoffman Fabrics.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Thu, Aug 2 2012 10:34 PM

Here's and article from Keepsake quilting about fabric quality

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/articles/quality2.aspx

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 7:53 AM

Kris:

Just an FYI Nancy. Timeless Treasures do not make Bali Pops. Those are from Hoffman Fabrics.

Sorry, that was my mistake.  The fabric I was rating is Tonga Treats by Timeless Treasures.  Got my batiks mixed up!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 8:23 AM

Nancy, Love this thread so very helpful.  I just came back from my LQS that is actually expanding and bought a lot of yummy fabric.  I didn't pay much attention to the manufacturers as I went on feel, and color since I was in person.  I will look to see if those aren't mentioned in your list and send you my ratings on them.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 10:44 AM

Nancy, I just purchased some fabric from  Joann's which is not something I do very often ,but this was halloween fabric , made for joann ,and I'm very pleased with it , nice strong weave ,yet soft to touch , good color in the weave , I give it a thumbs up .and  I don't do that to often with this fabric. Just have to shop and feel when buying from them.

the Second fabric I got there was by David Textiles Inc, they to had a nice weave ,with the fabric soft  and good color. I am not familiar with this fabric ,but it appeared to be of good quality . I give both a thumbs up

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 12:36 PM

Thanks, Jacy - good article and the follow-up article was interesting, too.    I still wish someone would definitively answer whether or not the name brand fabric companies sell inferior runs to the the discount stores using their regular brand name.   Is it guaranteed that if I purchase a cut of RJR fabric that it will be the same quality no matter where I get it from?  And, for that matter, are all of RJR's lines the same quality?  I bought some Thimbleberries fabric (RJR) once that I thought frayed excessively.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 12:49 PM

Nancy if you go to the fabric swap group ,and cllick on pages ,I have three very good articles there on fabric , that might answer your question. I found all of these online and are wonderful artlicles . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 4:43 PM

Barbara:
go to the fabric swap group ,and cllick on pages ,I have three very good articles there on fabric , that might answer your question

Barbara, the first article [How to Choose Quality Fabric] is excellent!  I hope all new quilters read it.  Unfortunately, it only applies to purchasing fabric at stores.  I started this thread particularly for ordering online when all you have to go by is a picture and a brand name.  I understand how important it is to support the local quilt shops, but I also know my money goes a lot further online.  I tried to balance my purchases between the two.

Okay, off to read the other two articles.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 4:53 PM

Nancy thanks I really liked them as well ,They really give you a lot of info in a short space. and Yes I understand about the online. I just thought this might help with the buying of fabrics from places like Joann's and Walmart. explaining how the seconds come to be. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 5:13 PM

QCA-ers, please help us develop this fabric review chart into a meaningful tool.  With only one or two thumbs up, I wouldn't advise rushing out to order that brand.  When we start seeing 20 to 30 thumbs, we'll be on to something.

Over the next weeks, try to find a few minutes to take a look (and feel) through your stash.  Come back here and tell us 4 or 5 brands you really like for their quality and 1 or 2 that don't quite measure up.  I try to update the chart each evening.  Thanks!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,195
Pamela replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 6:38 PM

Nancy,

Looking over your list, I have a couple of immediate responses without going to my stash.

Kaufman Kona solids - like them for color choices and stitching, but if you are planning on hand quilting - thumbs down - the weave and thickness make it difficult to needle.

Henry Glass- thumbs up- any of these fabrics lines that I have purchased have been of a really good quality.

Moda Marbles by Patrick Lose - I purchased mine back in the 90's - they are a thinner fabrics, although the colors are nice and they keep their shape after washing. I haven't purchased any since, because there are much better choices these days. I would give them a thumbs down.

There have been a lot of discussions about fabric quality, greige goods, first runs, etc. Some of these brands can be found at Wal-mart and would not recommend them for quality. Timeless Treasures  and VIP come to mind. I prewash and these fabrics tend to be starched, which washes out and causes warping. My experience anyway.

• Filed under:
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 8:14 PM

Thanks for your input, Pamela.

As far as the Patrick Lose Marble line going back to the 1990's - I'm wondering if that is like the early Connecting Threads batiks - a bad batch to start with and improvement after the consumers weighed in.  Input anyone - have you seen an improvement in that line?

Page 5 of 9 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use