Top 10 Posters

Buying fabric online

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 51 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 545
Bobbie posted on Fri, Jul 27 2012 8:58 AM

I am new to quilting and was wondering about buying fabric online. Can someone tell me their favorite places to buy fabric online. I'm looking for quality and good prices. I'm always worried about buying things online because you don't always know what you're getting. 

Thanks,

Bobbie

• | Post Points: 215

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Answered (Not Verified) Nana replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:57 PM
Suggested by Quiltless

Quiltless

I have found that a fabric brand and pattern is the same across the board no matter where I order it.  Except some manufacturers will make a lesser quality of the same fabric design to sell in places like JoAnn's and Walmart.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
358 Posts
Points 5,635
dardar replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 8:57 PM

I have two favorite online fabric sources. First is equilter.com.  They have a great selection, easy to use search, related fabric search and find this color to look for companion fabric.When I have a special theme in mind I start here. Also their description on fabric  includes names of colors used. This can be really helpful if you are trying to find a match.  For example I just bought an oriental dragon fabric with maize in it. I searched for maize and got lots of fabrics with this color in that fabric selection. I found a nice tone on tone to compliment my panel. They also have a wish list where you can save selections and use a design board to play with your selections. They have patterns you can upload your fabrics unto and email them to yourself. It can really get the creative juices going. I don't usually use the patterns, but it helps me see how fabrics might relate and play off each other before I purchase them.  Finally a % of their profits go to charity.

Fabric.com...I have learned a lot about the various manufacturers from this site. You can browse by designer and it shows you the collection together.  You can search a variety of ways. The prices are good. usually lower a 1:00  that many and they have sales and clearance. They have free shipping over $35.00 and you know it's not hard to spend that much on fabric. -

I have tried a few others on occasion, but  these are my tried and true favorites.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
794 Posts
Points 12,820

Nana

Hummm.  Does that mean that Joann's or Walmart's fabric is like a "knock-off" under another label or are they selling a lower quality fabric under the same brand as a quilt shop?  In other words, is it branded Moda at both the LQS and at Walmart? 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 7:52 PM

Quiltless

It is branded with the manufacterer name.  JoAnn's has started getting better quality fabrics than they were for awhile.  However, every now and then you will find a lower quality of a brand name fabric.  It is sort of like sending their "seconds" to JoAnns to sell.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 10

I buy a lot of fabric online but always look for the ones that offer free shipping.  Some online fabric shops kill you with the cost of the shipping.  And they don't cut you a break on the cost of the fabric.  Christa Quilts offers free shipping on everything.  I also use fabric.com.  I have used FabricDepot.  They charge shipping but have wonderful customer service.  I ordered some fabrics and online they looked like they matched.  When I received them they didn't match at all.  I had only purchased a 1/2 yard of each.  According to their website they won't refund you money if it is less than, I think, 2 yards.  I contacted them and told them how unhappy I was with the fabric and even though it was only 1/2 yard pieces they refunded my money on the fabric I wasn't happy with.  Most of the shop owners are wonderful to deal with.  I have also questioned some of the shop owners when I want to order a pattern and it comes up that the shipping is $6.50.  Most of them will work with you and send it to you for a reduced shipping rate.  For the most part buying fabric online has been a good experience and as others have said I usually have the merchandise within days.  Good luck.

Not Ranked
31 Posts
Points 725

Someone turned me on to Thousand of Bolts. Most fabrics are under $7.00 and they run great sales.

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20

I love shopping online!  You can spend so much more time and get so many ideas.  I let them percolate for a bit and eventually I have a quilt idea ready to go!  Then I purchase in store or online for backings or what ever I can't find in the store.  Lot's of great stores with high quality!!

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20

You might want to check out https://www.fabricstreet.com. They have a good selection and pretty good prices.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,482 Posts
Points 417,094
gini replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 7:59 PM

hi craftyfabric, welcome to the group and thanks for the link.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,577 Posts
Points 246,572
Thea replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 8:06 PM

Oh no - Gini - another enabler - I refuse to look!!! teehee welcome crafty fabric ... enjoy it here at QCA.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

My favorites are Connecting Threads and Fabric Depot...

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 10:33 PM

Spud

I am anxiously awaiting an order from Connecting Threads....LOL.   Do you use the Essentials line of threads?

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Nana:

Spud

I am anxiously awaiting an order from Connecting Threads....LOL.   Do you use the Essentials line of threads?

I'm waiting for another one also LOL I do use the essentials thread for piecing and I really like it.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 1 2012 10:44 PM

Spud

I have several spools of essentials brand but my Janome doesn't much like it.  If you would like to have them I would love to send them to you.   They are just taking up space in my drawer.   I even have several that have never been opened.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 3 of 4 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use