Top 10 Posters

Buying fabric online

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 51 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 545
Bobbie posted on Fri, Jul 27 2012 8:58 AM

I am new to quilting and was wondering about buying fabric online. Can someone tell me their favorite places to buy fabric online. I'm looking for quality and good prices. I'm always worried about buying things online because you don't always know what you're getting. 

Thanks,

Bobbie

• | Post Points: 215

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Bobbie ,the shops I wrote about in the other thread all have quilt shop quality fabric, You don't have to worry about getting inferior fabric   from any of them .There are alot of us here that buy our fabric from these shops . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 10:01 AM

connectingthreads.com and quiltfabriccloseouts.com have good fabric and prices everyday. Lots of other online stores have good sales and/or clearance sections. It's good to get on their email lists and then you get notified of their sales.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
1,507 Posts
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 10:21 AM

Hi Bobbie and welcome to this site.    I order from many different on-line sites and have never been disappointed.  You just have to know that you are ordering from quilt shops and they have the highest quality of fabric.  I order from fabric.com a lot for the wide backings.  Just start looking around and have fun.   A great place to go and find lots of shops is   www.fabshophop.com       They have hundreds of quilt shops all over USA and Canada.  They have a search engine too if you are looking for something particular.   Have fun and hope this helps out.

Diana in East Tn.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,591 Posts
Points 118,860

Jacy:
It's good to get on their email lists and then you get notified of their sales.

That is for sure! I'm on Eleanor Burns list and she has fantastic sales. But like Bobbie, I'm always unsure about getting fabric online as I like to see it, touch it, carry it around the shop to match up with others. Walking into the shop is such a warm fuzzy! But not everyone has local shops and good online resources are invaluable. I do frequent the local shops but also buy online.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 10:37 AM

I use all of those previously mentioned, but also:   www.fabricdepot.com  They are located in Portland, OR and I have been in their store several times...it is HUGE (the size of a Safeway store).  After seeing their fabrics (hands on), I am confident buying from them...and they have great sales.  Getting on their mailing list is also a must so you know about their sales.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
794 Posts
Points 12,820

www.keepsakequilting.com

Very nice catalogs.

They have weekly specials, daily deals and a bargain bin. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 11:21 AM

I get a monthy scrap pack from them that is wonderful the fabic is 9x22 and works great for extra little projects , and you get a great variety of fabric . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 12:02 PM

http://www.missouriquiltco.com/

I check in to see the daily deal first thing each morning!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 545
Bobbie replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 2:18 PM

Thanks for the posts everyone! I have a lot of places to search now. I guess I was just a skeptic, it's nice to know that you all have shopped at these fabric places. I too like to carry pieces around the store with me. I live in a small town and the two closest little fabric shops have closed down in the last couple of months so now I only have the Joann's fabric store that's about a1/2 hour away. It's not too far but I liked the little fabric shops.

Thanks again for all the great posts!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Nancy ,me to ,everyday..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,356 Posts
Points 31,985

Bobbie,

If you like modern patterns and colors, one of my new favorite places is Pink Chalk Fabrics.  They have a good sale section, sometimes have scrap bags available at a really reasonable cost, and I LOVE their service.  http://www.pinkchalkfabrics.com/ 

Max

Not Ranked
17 Posts
Points 250

I really love my local independent quilt shops, but sometimes I can only find the exact fabric I want on line.  I have never had a problem with receiving my fabric quickly and it has always been nice quality.  I find the shops through quiltshops.com, by typing in a key word and then it does the searching for me.  I once had a local quilt shop order fabric for me, b/c I wanted to give them the business, but I think I was the only one who bought the fabric they ordered, b/c it's in their sale bin now, so I won't ever do that to them again.  I should have just ordered the kit from the magazine!  Anyway, on-line fabric shopping works fine.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,398 Posts
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 8:53 PM

I have always been very pleased with the fabrics I bought on line.  All came very quick, in days.   The exception was something from Hancocks.  They were out of stock on one of the fabrics I ordered, but but they sent the rest.  The other arrived a couple weeks ago. (a couple months later,) but I am so glad they kept my request and filled it as soon as they were able.  No one else still carried it.  And I searched for a long time.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 9:03 PM

Patti

I have always found Hancocks to be slow with shipping.  They have great fabrics though.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use