Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 1,995
Bonnie Posted: Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:28 PM

OK, I now have the Drunkards Flower Path loaded and ready to quilt. I added butterflies around the center.  I am just wondering should I do an overall or should I work with each circle and the white area around around each circle and frame of it? Just can not decide. What color thread should I use? I have a variegated yellow, plain yellow and white. Should I do the white area in white and the yellow/red/orange are in yellow? Any ideas would be great! 

Thanks Bonnie B

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,462
Points 116,615

Bonnie:
Should I do the white area in white and the yellow/red/orange are in yellow? Any ideas would be great!

Bonnie, what about using a varigated thread in yellows and golds?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 1,995
Bonnie replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:57 PM

I was thinking about that. I do have a variegated yellow, but I do not think it has gold in it. Would it look good to quilt the white are with it? I am wondering about what type of motif I should quilt in the yellow/red area and what I should do in the white area? I am going to use Quilt Motion when I do this, so the quilting should look decent. I have a lot to chose from also. I love this quilt and had to do it when I saw it in the quilt magazine. So I want it to look nice. I am thinking about doing  wall hanging to go with it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,242
Points 239,772
Thea replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 7:09 PM

Oh Bonnie - it would look fabulous done with a variegated over the whole quilt - and I think you should do each section - no overall design on this one!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 1,995
Bonnie replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 7:49 PM

Ok, so variegated it shall be. I also think the blocks should be done individually, then do the white background. I have King Tut variegated yellow, but it does not look like the colors change much. However, I do like it.  I wonder if I should go to the LQS and see if they have any good variegated thread.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 10:40 PM

Bonnie:
I wonder if I should go to the LQS and see if they have any good variegated thread.

I can't think of a better reason to go to the LQS!  You can look over the new fabrics while you're there, too, because it looks like this project is almost finished!  Can't wait to see your quilting when it's done!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 1,995
Bonnie replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 6:29 AM

I totally agree. I am going to go to the LQS today and look for thread other then what I have. I need to drop off one of my machines anyways to get fixed. I would like to find a different variegated thread other then the yellow that I have. Thanks for the input. I truly appreciate it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 1,995
Bonnie replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 6:30 AM

You are just too funny! ;D

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 11:30 PM

Ah yes, the million dollar question,  What to do with this quilt now that I have spend mega time and money on.  When you come up with an answer, let me know.  We all want to know.  this is the hardest part of quilting.  The final fontier so to speak.  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 3,740
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 1,995
Bonnie replied on Thu, Aug 2 2012 6:36 AM

Hi Kim, Thanks for the suggestion! That is the thread I bought. I love it and it is working well. I purchased it from my LQS. I was delighted that they had it. He also suggested using a prewound bobbins that were an off white/cream color for the bottom thread and it is working great. I am slowly quilting it now. I need to work on it some more today. 

Quilt On,

Bonnie B

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 1,995
Bonnie replied on Thu, Aug 2 2012 7:12 AM

Hi Vivian,

Well, I stuck with the theme of the quilt. It is called Drunkards Flower Path and I added 4 appliqued butterflies around the center block. So it is Drunkards Flower Path with Butterfly Kisses. So I am quilting flowers and leaves on each block. I am quilting butterflies on the corner of the smaller outer blocks and around the center block in the white area then I will fill in the rest of the white area with some heavy stippling. How does this sound for a plan? I tried to stay with the theme of the quilt. Is this a good idea? I would like to know for future reference.

Thanks

Bonnie B

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Aug 2 2012 7:24 AM

Bonnie

I sometimes stay with the theme of the quilt and other times I go off on a wild tangent.  It tends to depend on my mood when I start the quilting process...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,784
gini replied on Thu, Aug 2 2012 9:15 AM

bonnie, people say, "let the quilt talk to you", well, i can tell you a quilt has never told me how to quilt it.   i just wing it, and if something doesn't work, i know not to do that again.  if it works, i tend to repeat it a lot.   you could call my quilting, stuck on meander

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use