Top 10 Posters

Any suggestions for quilting patterns for teenagers.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 5,577
Joanne Posted: Sat, Jan 2 2010 12:26 PM

I have two great nieces who I want to make a small quilt for.  I am trying to find  patterns that would be good for teenage girls.  One is 14 and the other is 17 years of age.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:02 PM

Joanne

I have used the Turning Twenty patterns and Log cabin patterns for girls in that age group.  I have also made quilts based around a perticular theme that they liked.  I did one for my grand daughter with Tinker bell squares in the center and then finished off with color coordinated squares.  Also did a Disney theme for my youngest DD.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:23 PM

when i made quilts for my nephews for christmas, i took them to the fabric store in the summer,  and made them pick out fabrics they liked.    you should have seen the big galoots  picking fabric.  they were so funny.  and the anticipation grew as  christmas approached wondering what their quilts were going to be like.   gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:24 PM

oh, the patterns.  i just picked three fairly easy patterns that went together easily, and suited the fabric the boys picked.   igni

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,237
Points 239,627
Thea replied on Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:41 PM

I made the fairy quilts for my girls last year and they loved them - it was easy - just bought the fairy panels and made up blocks to go around them.  The girls absolutely love them. 

There are so many theme fabrics out there - if you know what they like - that is half the battle - and then just build it into a quilt.  You can use all the same blocks or make a sampler.  Fun to design.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 2 2010 3:22 PM

My firend Sarah is 21 and she likes the turning 20 patterns. I think the girls will like quilts like this. I think Gini's right if you let them pick out their own fabrics the anticipation will be great.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Sat, Jan 2 2010 3:48 PM

joanne, i heloed a 10 year old girl make a quilt this summer.   she picked minke for the back.  the kids love minke.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:10 PM

I recently did disapearing 9 patch for my grand kids.  It was quick and easy.  And I was able to use some pretty wild fabric colors and patterns with it.  You can actually get the top sewn in a day.  The fabrics really make the quilt and the kids can have their favorite colors.  I was thinking the fabrics Eileen used in her red, black and white crazy patch on the UFO challenge forum would be liked by a lot of teenagers.  My grandkids' quilts are towards the end of the forum on what quilts did you make for Christmas.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 313
Points 6,970
Wynnie replied on Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:50 PM

I like the pattern of Irish chain. In the large square, you can choose a printed fabric and you fussy cut this square.

Québec, Canada

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Joanne--

Unless you want the quilts to be a surprise, getting the girls involved in the planning is the way to go.  If you live close enough to shop together, take them fabric shopping to make their own choices.  Pattern choice might best be left to you unless they have definite favorites. Happy shopping.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Sun, Jan 3 2010 1:10 PM

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quilting/quilts_patterns/colorful_kona_squares/

There are several fun patterns on this site that are free.  I think the link above would be a good one for teenagers.  You could use some of the bold, geometric fabrics.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 5,577
Joanne replied on Sun, Jan 3 2010 3:14 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions on the patterns for teenagers.  From all of the suggestion I agree that large blocks are a good way to go and beings that I need to make two quilts, I can get them done a lot more quickly than I originally thought.

Jeannie thank you for the Robert Kaufman link.  there are  a few patterns on that site that I like and I think I will chose a couple of those....have not decided which one yet, still looking them..It was a great suggestion. 

British Columbia

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use