Top 10 Posters

Need suggestions for quilting with metallic thread

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 120
LauraJP posted on Sun, Jul 22 2012 6:31 AM

I decided to step out of my comfort zone...instead of using invisible thread and stitching in the ditch, I'm trying a Sulky metallic thread and using the blanket stitch on my sewing machine.  It started out just fine, but now the bobbin thread is pulling thru to the top and the metallic thread occasionally breaks.  I've set the tension as low as I can, but still haveing problems.  Maybe using that thread wasn't a good idea?  Any suggestions?

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,507 Posts
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 8:55 AM

I'm not a thread expert, but I've heard you need a bigger eyed needle for the metallic threads because of the way metallic threads are made.  They are usually flat instead of round so they might need more room to slide thru the eye of the needle.  Hope this helps you out.

Diana in East Tn. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I was also going to suggest a bigger needle.  http://softexpressions.com/help/faq/faqmetallicthread.html offers some tips but the first is the correct needle.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

http://softexpressions.com/help/faq/faqmetallicthread.html

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,398 Posts
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 9:06 AM

I have  some metallic thread, but I haven't used it yet.  But I have a book, Machine Quilting Made Easy, that has in the back different threads with suggested needles, etc.   Tell me the brand and size of thread and I will look up what it says for that thread. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,400 Posts
Points 415,559
gini replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 11:54 AM

hi laura,  welcome to the group.   i use a metallic needle, a new one everytime i start a new project, and  i loosen the tension just a bit.  don't give up on it.   you just need to learn what settings your machine likes with that thread.  it is recommended that you write those settings down somewhere you can find it.  i'm not that organized.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 120
LauraJP replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 12:40 PM

Patti, I'm using Sulky Holoshimmer metallic thread.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,018 Posts
Points 28,450
Ramona replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 2:23 PM

LauraJP,

Welcome to the site. I'm very interested to see what others say about the metallic. I haven't jumped in on it yet. What little I do know is that Holoshimmer metallic thread is a flatter thread. It has to come off your spool straight. It can not twist. So however you have to set or make  the spool to get the thread to run off flat and straight might help.  The larger needle is also a must as well as the tension and stitching slow.  Let us know what you find that works for you. Good luck. I hope others have info for you.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,398 Posts
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 3:00 PM

LauraJP:
Patti, I'm using Sulky Holoshimmer metallic thread.

My book was published in 1994, so it is undoubtedly outdated.  But it does list 2 sulky metallic threads.  Sulky metallic embroidery thread, and Sulky Sliver Metallic which is described as ribbon like.  the recommended needles are the same.  90/12 metafil or 80/12, 90/14 topstitch.  Says they are good-quality metallic and describes the sliver as being easy to use.  It also suggests for the bobbin thread to use 60/2 weight or 50/3 weight cotton.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,400 Posts
Points 415,559
gini replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 3:47 PM

i use 60 wt auriful in the bobbin.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,532 Posts
Points 138,998

When I use the Sulky holoshimmer,  I first do like Gini suggested and use a 60 wt thread in the bobbin, a metallic  or topstitch needle, and have found it helpful  to adjust my spool pin vertically so the thread stands upright. That way it comes off the spool straight out and doesn't get the twist that laying down gives it.  And sometimes it  is necessary to adjust the tension. Best of luck on your project. It's a beautiful thread and worth the extra effort.

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 120

I'm currently using Sulky Premium Bobbin Thread, size Fine.  Not sure what weight that would be.  And I will give the topstitch needle a try.  (Guess I need to go visit the quilt shop!) 

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
76 Posts
Points 1,330

I know that using a Janome 6600p it was strongly recommended to use the blue tiped needles and good grief it worked,my guru sure didn't steer me worng and I also had a similar question a year ago but I was hand sewing and applying thread heaven I believe everyone says a larger needle may make a difference

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use