Top 10 Posters

jelly roll race quilts

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 80
fayelmo posted on Mon, Jul 16 2012 5:44 PM

Hi everyone, has anyone wondered about or more importantly, figured out how to create a specific sized (say queen) quilt using the race method?  I mean other chan more racing and cutting adding to sides, using borders, sashings, what have you?  It is driving me and my sister crazy (doesn't take much). Regardless, thx a bunch.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

Feeling better now...8 days after the surgery.  I had this "plan" that I was going to be back to normal is about 2 days...NOT!  The leg pain did go away at about day 4, but the muscle spasms in my back have been pretty severe until yesterday.  I'm now tapering off the pain killers, so things are looking good...YEAHHH!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 25
Nomes replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 1:29 AM

Hi, I know this is a bit late for your question, but I believe I have the formula for working out almost to the inch how to make the Jelly Roll Race quilt the size you want it, without it coming out too wide and not long enough.

For instance, I wanted to make a 42" x 72" quilt for Aussie Hero Quilts (Similar to Quilts Of Valor in the U.S.) and for the first two flimsies, couldn't get it right....but with the help of a quilty friend, we think we have it whacked!

In my third quilt, I had a brainwave of adding an extra strip/row in after the 3rd row (when you have your work measuring 8 strips wide), so what I did was work out I needed 36 rows (72 ÷ 2=36) not the 32 rows that the original JRR ends up being (no matter how many strips you add in at the start, you'll always end up with 32 rows, but if you add more strips, it will just make the finished quilt wider) so, as I said, once I got to having my work 8 strips wide, I added a strip, making 9 rows, which, when you do the math, x 2 = 18 rows then x 2 again = 36 rows or a 36" long quilt.

Now to tackle the width part.....if you join your strips using the bias/diagonal join method, you will loose 5" of your 42" long strips, so the finished length is 37", and I want my quilt to end up being 42" wide. I calculated several different figures, and came up with 37.5 strips x 37" = 43.36" wide finished(allows for that little bit of creepage when you quilt it...and is easily trimmed off).

I haven't as yet done a final test of the math, but theoretically it should work out...and I'm happy to come back and offer help or you can contact me via email beadnv at westnet dot com dot au if you want/need further help with the calculations.

Hugs, Naomi from Sth Australia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,351 Posts
Points 46,480
Angele replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 7:05 AM

Naomi, i would like to see à picture of your Quilt this JRR sourds interesting.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use