Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy Posted: Sun, Jul 8 2012 12:33 PM

I'm posting this under "Share your tips," but in reality I'm asking for your tips.

I have been stacking my fat quarters on a shelf just like my regular cuts of fabric.  I had sworn off fat quarters for a while, but now that I'm doing more paper piecing and applique, I find myself purchasing more small cuts, and now my shelf is overflowing.  My fat quarter piles are sorted by color, but I can't easily see the piles at the back of the shelf, and some of the stacks are starting to topple over.  This is not a practical arrangement.

I know many of us have posted pictures of sewing rooms and stashes before, but could you take a moment to post once again pictures specific to your fat quarter storage?  I need ideas!  Thanks!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 125
replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 1:23 PM

Hi, I recently revamped my sewing studio. I had a closet close by, so i went to big lots, and bought the hanging sweater shelves 2 of them for some fabric, and a hanging shoe one which fits perfectly in the middle. the pockets are wide and deep, they hald  alot. also no dust or light can get them to keep the fabric looking new. It is such a handy fix. i used to keep mine on shelves to. This is also a space saver.... I have large cabinets for the rest of fabric. But this was great for my fat quarters, hope it helps.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 125

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

The ideal type of storage for me, are my dresser drawers.  I can label them on the outside, and use dividers inside.  I have 3 that use to be neatly sorted, but it has been several years, more trips to the quilt shop, and procrastination on putting things away. I really really have to take time to resort my stash.

The larger pieces of fabric go in the back and the smaller ones up front.  I have a drawer just for novelty pieces, a box (clear) for landscape fabric, and a drawer for batiks.

If I buy fabric for a project, I put the pattern with it and box it up or use skirt hangers and organize in the closet. 

Panels and the fabric that go with them get hung up too.  Quilt tops that need backings go on hangers.

Deb in Micigan

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:07 PM

I don't have a pic handy, but I fold my fat quarters as described on nancysnotions.com site.  At the bottom of the page you'll find "Expert Sewing Advice".  Click on "Tips and Techniques" and look for the file "Fat Quarter Fabric Folding Technique".  That way they are all neatly folded and don't come undone when removed from the clear, cheap "shoeboxes" I buy at stores like WalMart.  The fat quarters are in a single layer and each color can be put in a different box.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:17 PM

Mn Nancy

That looks like my FQ storage...ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,048
Points 369,207
Kris replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:41 PM

Nancy,

I do what Richard suggested. I have long narrow clear  "shoe" boxes that line up next to each other I can stack them three deep in my cabinet but they're easy to pull out to see what's in them. Keeps the FQs neat and tidy. All my boxes have lids but I don't use them. I store half yard cuts the same way.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 3:41 PM

I have lots of fat quarters and I separate them by color and sometimes themes like florals, etc.

Here's an old photo, the shelving unit on the left holds all my baskets, like Kris I store 1/2yd or less with my FQ's

and a close up of a basket (I've just about reached max capacity, don't forget to leave room for your FQ stash to grow!)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 745
Lola B replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 5:38 PM

Costgo sells the spring garden lettuce in clear plastic containers.  I save these and they are the perfect size for storing fat quarters.  Repurpose - recycle.  Keeps them out of the land fill and keeps my fabric so happy.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,436
Points 38,440
Linda replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 8:43 PM

I bought 2 sets of drawers (3 drawers each) from Walmart and now all my FQ are in t hose. The FQ are sorted by color. One drawer has nothing but batiks regardless of colors.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 9:41 PM

I have a "pantry" cabinet for storing my stash. The top shelf is the width of the whole cabinet & I have my FQs folded & stored in clear plastic shoe boxes I got on sale at a Container Store. I can stack them up & see what's inside without having to move them too much.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 12:20 AM

nancy, i store my fat quarters and smaller in clear plastic tubs and stack them on shelves.   with the clear plastic i can see which color i need easily. i'll see if i can find my studio pictures

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 12:22 AM

there are my clear tubs up on the third shelf.  it is easy for me to see which color i need.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 12:25 AM

Perhaps you could hand them from light fixtures, like some gremlins do.

I myself put them in those clear plastic shoe boxes, sorted by color or theme.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 6:13 AM

Wow Gini that's a lot of fabric! I'm green with envy.  I have plastic drawer units, color co-ordinated. And piles of new stuff I like to have out so I can look at it : )

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use