Top 10 Posters

Does anyone have a simple pillow pattern?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355
LearningDayByDay posted on Sun, Jul 8 2012 11:15 AM

Hi!

I found this cute wall hanging pattern by Sandy Gervais (Pieces From My Heart, #443 Brrrrrrrr!) and got it into my head that I can make Christmas pillows for everyone on my list from this.  It will take a little configuring on my part to adjust the size of the blocks to fit a standard pillow form but what I don't have and need is a pattern for making a pillow.  And by that I mean just a pattern for a simple square pillow and how to put it all all together once I have the top part finished.   I'm thinking I want to make the fabric part removeable so that it can be easily washed but am trying to avoid a zipper.  I've seen pillows like this, the back has an opening in the middle and the top and bottom halves overlap, the pillow can be slipped out of the opening.  I hope this makes sense, I can visualize it in my head but may not be explaining it as best as it could be.  I don't want it to get too complicated as I will be making about 25 of thesel  Sometimes my ideas are bigger than my time or expertise, I hope I'm not getting in over my head.

Ellie

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 12:26 PM

youtube.com has a video called "How to Make an Envelope Pillow Cover"

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355

Pat - thank you so much!!!  That is exactly what I was looking for.  I didn't know it was such an easy pattern, maybe I will be able to carry this off after all.  Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.

Ellie

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,292 Posts
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:19 PM

Cute pattern and they will make lovely /pillows. For the type of pillow cover you are describing I make the front just like I would a quilt until the point of  adding binding. For the back you need two pieces of fabric. These pieces are as tall as the front but each about 4" wider than half the measurement. For a 17" pillow cut these two pieces 17" by 13". Hem one 17" edge of each. For making the cushion, lay the pieced part facing you, one of the back pieces, right side on top of this with the hem in the middle. Pin. Repeat with the other piece. Now sew all around the perimeter. Turn it right side out through the flap. I then like to do a top stitch close to the edge to give it a bit crisper edge. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110

You're welcome.  I often go to youtube for videos---I learn better when I can see what's going on.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355

Agnes - thank you, I likey our idea of adding a row of topstitching.

I have another related question -shoud the top (quilted part) be made up like a quilt with batting and a back (which won't bee seen of course) and stitched together before the actual pillow is made, or should the top be left as is?

Ellie

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110

Ellie--

You can either quilt it or leave it unquilted---whatever you want to do.  If you quilt it, I would use a very thin batting.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,292 Posts
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 8:19 PM

LearningDayByDay:
shoud the top (quilted part) be made up like a quilt with batting and a back (which won't bee seen of course) and stitched together

I quilt mine with a thin batting but as you say the backing won't ever be seen. This is a good place to use a piece of fabric that has lost your favor.

Most importantly, have fun.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,421 Posts
Points 415,844
gini replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 5:23 AM

you don't need to put a backing on it, just quilt the top and the batt.  i've done this for purses that are lined.  quilted the pieced outside with batt and no backing  made the purse up and put the lining inside.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use