Top 10 Posters

Question for Longarm Quilters

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465
safrmaz posted on Fri, Jul 6 2012 6:55 PM

I took my MQ6 to a longarm quilter last week and after getting it home I noticed a hole in the fabric where it was evident she removed some stitches and started over.  I was a little upset by this but then today I noticed a slit in the quilt top about 1/4" long, too.  This wasn't near the stitches that were removed.  Now I plan to lay the whole quilt out and examine it closely.  This is very upsetting because repairing these holes will no doubt show.  Also, I discovered some of the piecing in the blocks have small sections in the middle of a seam that look to have been opened.  I have no idea why and it doesn't appear to have happened from the front.  There are just noticeable gaps in the seams that need to be sewn shut.  If a seam were to come undone, it seems it would be at the beginning or end, not in the middle.

I was referred to her by a reliable person who had seen her work.  I also found out she operates an E-bay quilting business and upon checking, she has 100% satisfaction.  The quilting is very nice but to get it back with damage is upsetting.  At the very least she must have known she made one hole with the seam ripper.

I sent her an email letting her know of the damage but have not yet received a reply. 

Does anyone have any ideas why my quilt got damaged aside from the obvious removal of stitches where she was careless with the seam ripper?  Could it have happened in the loading & unloading it onto the frame?

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,199 Posts
Points 24,300

Sheri, how destressing.  It sound like mabe she had to remove a lot of stitches and was very careless on how she did it.  I have done a LOT of ripping out when I first started learning on my longarm but was very careful and did it from the back not the front.  At the least she should refund you your money.  The fact that she did not tell you about the problems when she returned the quilt is also not ok.   If she does not get back to you promptly I would leave neg feedback on her ebay site.  I know that you did not do it throough ebay but she needs to make good.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi Sheri,

I am so sorry to hear about your quilt damage, i know that it is heart breaking. I quilt all the time and thank the good Lord that my only issue was a stain on the backing fabric that the client brought to me.  I tracked back to the quilt store. 

Picking out stitches can cause a tear or rip if you are no very very careful. Also if you stretch the quilt too tight you can pull seams apart especially if they were seams that had to be fudged to catch a point.  It sounds like maybe the longarmer left the needle in the down position and then bumped it. This would tear and pull the quilt at the same time.

I think at the very least the quilter should apologize and come clean, offer a rebate or an extreme discount on a future quilt.

I would be mortified,

Judylee

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I hope I never am in this situation with my customers!  I am so extra careful with quilts given to my care!  And if I ever did have an unfortunate situation ( I know it can happen) I would definitely talk to the customer up front and work out a solution together.  I would feel so bad!  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
936 Posts
Points 15,850

Sheri A.:
I took my MQ6 to a longarm quilter last week and after getting it home I noticed a hole in the fabric where it was evident she removed some stitches and started over.

Sheri - I am so sorry for the frustration you have experienced on this transaction.  First of all, she should have talked with you immediately when you picked up the quilt.  She definitely should give you a generous credit towards the next quilt or refund a good portion of what you paid her.  She would have had to have really put it on the frame super tight to pop stitches so don't have an answer for that.

I will probably not ever quilt for customers and I would be devastated if I did something to someone's quilt.  I definitely know the blood, sweat and tears that can go into a quilt top and am pretty darn careful with any quilt that goes on my frame.

I hope she steps up to the plate and makes it up the best she can in view of the fact the quilt has been damaged.  Good luck!

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

Judy Lee:
It sounds like maybe the longarmer left the needle in the down position and then bumped it. This would tear and pull the quilt at the same time.

Judylee,

That sounds like a possible explanation for the slit.  I couldn't figure out how that would have happened.

Thanks for the input everyone.  I never thought about the stretching of the quilt on the frame as the reason for the popped seams.  At least I can repair those with applique stitches and they will never be seen.

I considered giving feedback on E-bay but wasn't sure if I could do it since I didn't go through the site.  So far I have received no reply from her and if I don't in a reasonable amount of time, I may seriously consider giving negative feedback.  All I really want is a sincere apology.  She doesn't charge much for quilting so getting money back isn't a huge issue.  As far as credit toward future quilting, I don't think I want to use her again.  I would be too worried about my quilt while in her possession. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Jeanine,

The quilt backing incident with the stain was heartbreaking. The client had just lost her mother and she desparately wanted to be able to wrap up in her her mother's quilt. The mother and her twin had made the top together , both had passed so there was a lot of meaning behind it.  I traced the staining back to the quilt shop that the backing was purchased. I talked to the shop owner who told me to fold it up and not say anything. I told her she may do business that way but I do not!

I had the client meet me at that shop and showed her the quilt and then the backing. She was really unhappy. I had an idea to cover it that she fell in love with...I did a double heart label to represent the mother and her twin. My client cried and I made a label.  It didn't take that much extra effort to make things right. I sure hope this other longarmer does the right thing!!!!

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

Judy Lee:

Jeanine,

The quilt backing incident with the stain was heartbreaking. The client had just lost her mother and she desparately wanted to be able to wrap up in her her mother's quilt. The mother and her twin had made the top together , both had passed so there was a lot of meaning behind it.  I traced the staining back to the quilt shop that the backing was purchased. I talked to the shop owner who told me to fold it up and not say anything. I told her she may do business that way but I do not!

I had the client meet me at that shop and showed her the quilt and then the backing. She was really unhappy. I had an idea to cover it that she fell in love with...I did a double heart label to represent the mother and her twin. My client cried and I made a label.  It didn't take that much extra effort to make things right. I sure hope this other longarmer does the right thing!!!!

Judylee

She actually told you to ignore the stain?  Yeah, I don't work like that either.  Most people understand that things can happen and will work with you to come up with a workable solution if you are up front with them.

Not Ranked
Female
29 Posts
Points 972
sissi replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 9:48 AM

I have a quilting questions.....I noticed that my color thread is showing on the other side and has bubles...or loops

1) WHY?

2) Can I continue just quilting the middle (if I get the problem fixed) and the sides and remove the quilt from the rollers and then remove all the bubbles....go over where I removed the stiches.....?

It means that my quilt would be already sandwiched and I would just use 2 rollers to quilt it again.

I have a tin lizzie 18 and I think my tension knop is not working...I tunr it and not tension is happening.

3) I start quilting and the thread does not make any sewing.....just a long piece of thread on top....WHY?

Thanks

Celine

Celine

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use