My name is Vicky and I am thinking of bringing in some felt in my little store and I don't know what kind, wich colors, etc. Would you be able to help me by answering a few questions? That would be so helpful :)! I have noticed a lot of Kunin brand in retail stores so I am thinking of going with that brand...I have spoken to the lady at Kunin and she gave me her felt collection (see attachment). I like the fact that they are 50% eco-fi (made with recycled plastic bottles) and 50% acrylic! But I feel overwhelmed and I don't want to make a mistake. That's why I really need your "felt" expertise. Thank you so much for answering my questions!
Here they are:
1) Do you prefer buying 9" x12" pre-cut felt sheets or fabric by the bolt?____ Why?______
2) Wich kind of felt do you find yourself using the most, the Rainbow classic felt Kunin or the Stiffened felt?___ Can you give me an exemple of what you like to create with it/them?______
3) Wich felt colors do you find yourself using the most?______
4) Do you ever use the Glitter Felt (bolts only)?_____ For what?_____Would it be worth it for me to have it in my store all year long?_____In wich colors: white, red, fuschia, royal blue, kelly green, black?_________________
5) The Plush felt (bolts only) would be so perfect to create stuffed animals! Do you ever buy it?______Wich colors: White, honey, chocolate, vanilla and/or black?________
6)There is also some Peel & Stick pieces made with Classic Felt in 9"x12" as well. Should I carry some? In which colors: White, yellow, red, tan, neon green, fuschia, copper, kelly green, brown, royal blue or black?__
7) Any other tips I should know before going into this?
Thank you sooooo much for your time, I really appreciate it :) I hope to hear from you soon!
I am certainly no expert but last year I purchased several bolts of red felt to make door stockings (my own pattern). I ordered from Joann's as I wanted the nice heavy material and could get it at 50% discount on line but was not available in stores (did not even look this year.?) I wanted the heavier, washable kind as there was a lot of time and money being put into the project... I love wool too and will use it when feasible. Doubt this helped you any but unfortunately that's all I can honestly contribute to your questions.
Oh daer, Vicky, I don't think I will be much help either. I do use felt, though, so will try to answer some of your questions.
1. I usually buy the 9 x 12 sheets. Because my projects with felt are mostly small applique.
2. Embarrassed to say, but I use Walmart felt. Our local LQS does not carry it, so Walmart is my only local source. And it is cheap. I use it for Christmas ornaments, and for applique on some of my fabric post cards.
3. Christmas Red, Christmas green, black, navy blue, cream, yellow, white, orange, and gold
4.I have never seen glitter felt. I would sure think that any colors that could be used, for Christmas projects, would sell well. I think I would try a bolt of white, red, green and black. I think this would be trial and error. You would just have to see how it goes for a year.
5. Never saw plush fel before. I don't make stuffed animals. That said, I would buy it for other projects. Such as Santas, snowmen, animals (applique), etc. I would think it worth your while to get a bit, maybe a couple basic colors and see how it goes. I would say the white, black...oh, I like ALL the colors. Just go with what you know of your customaers. Or, ask them first.
6. I would defintely use the peel and stick, in all colors. What a great idea for scrapbooking!
7. Be sure to know how it holds up and is it washable. Even what applications, the company has sold it to other stores for. All this info you could pass on to your customers. Oh, and make up some samples for your customers to see, add applique books and patterns, also.
Do you have an online store? It was my pleasure to answer your questions.
I don't use felt much. I still have treeskirt pattern to make with felt and its about 15 yrs. old. I mostly sew quilts now but when I was a Girl Scout leader we did projects with the small rectangle pieces rather than by the yard. Hope this helps.
Quilting My Rainbow
Hi Vickie, here are my answers.
both, basic background in bolts, and pre-cut for the various colors I would use in applique.
2) Wich kind of felt do you find yourself using the most, the
Rainbow classic felt Kunin or the Stiffened felt?___ Can you give me an
exemple of what you like to create with it/them?______
the classic felt. booklets, table runners,
I love a variety of colors, those rainbow colors look very nice. Back ground, generally something neutral.
4) Do you ever use the Glitter Felt (bolts only)?_____ For
what?_____Would it be worth it for me to have it in my store all year
long?_____In wich colors: white, red, fuschia, royal blue, kelly green,
I think I would use the glitter for Christmas only.
5) The Plush felt (bolts only) would be so perfect to create
stuffed animals! Do you ever buy it?______Wich colors: White, honey,
chocolate, vanilla and/or black?________
Haven't used it before, but looks like it would be fun for stuffed animals as you say.
6)There is also some Peel & Stick pieces made with Classic
Felt in 9"x12" as well. Should I carry some? In which colors: White,
yellow, red, tan, neon green, fuschia, copper, kelly green, brown, royal
blue or black?__
I generally don't like kits. So I may not like these.
I really haven't done much with felt. Having samples of things made up, with patterns, and perhaps some pre-cut kits might attract a lot of people who haven't done anything with felt since grade school. Simple cute projects might be great for kids, like decorating a can to make a pencil holder.
I don't use felt much but I have purchased it and used it for applique. Both regular and glitter. I purchased mine from Joanns and from Hobby Lobby. Only the squares, not yardage. Also, I haven't used it on anything that will be washed. Mostly appliques and hair clips.