Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 110
Vickkky Posted: Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:05 AM

Hi!

My name is Vicky and I am thinking of bringing in some felt in my little store and I don't know what kind, wich colors, etc. Would you be able to help me by answering a few questions? That would be so helpful :)! I have noticed a lot of Kunin brand in retail stores so I am thinking of going with that brand...I have spoken to the lady at Kunin and she gave me her felt collection (see attachment). I like the fact that they are 50% eco-fi (made with recycled plastic bottles) and 50% acrylic! But I feel overwhelmed and I don't want to make a mistake. That's why I really need your "felt" expertise. Thank you so much for answering my questions!

Here they are:

1) Do you prefer buying 9" x12" pre-cut felt sheets or fabric by the bolt?____ Why?______

2) Wich kind of felt do you find yourself using the most, the Rainbow classic felt Kunin or the Stiffened felt?___ Can you give me an exemple of what you like to create with it/them?______

3) Wich felt colors do you find yourself using the most?______

4) Do you ever use the Glitter Felt (bolts only)?_____ For what?_____Would it be worth it for me to have it in my store all year long?_____In wich colors: white, red, fuschia, royal blue, kelly green, black?_________________

5) The Plush felt (bolts only) would be so perfect to create stuffed animals! Do you ever buy it?______Wich colors: White, honey, chocolate, vanilla and/or black?________

6)There is also some Peel & Stick pieces made with Classic Felt in 9"x12" as well. Should I carry some? In which colors: White, yellow, red, tan, neon green, fuschia, copper, kelly green, brown, royal blue or black?__

7) Any other tips I should know before going into this?

Thank you sooooo much for your time, I really appreciate it :) I hope to hear from you soon!

Vicky

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 132
Points 1,755
SoBuzy replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 9:10 AM

I am certainly no expert but last year I purchased several bolts of red felt to make door stockings (my own pattern). I ordered from Joann's as I wanted the nice heavy material and could get it at 50% discount on line but was not available in stores (did not even look this year.?) I wanted the heavier, washable kind as there was a lot of time and money being put into the project... I love wool too and will use it when feasible. Doubt this helped you any but unfortunately that's all I can honestly contribute to your questions.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 10:59 AM

Oh daer, Vicky, I don't think I will be much help either. I do use felt, though, so will try to answer some of your questions.

1. I usually buy the 9 x 12 sheets. Because my projects with felt are mostly small applique.

2. Embarrassed to say, but I use Walmart felt. Our local LQS does not carry it, so Walmart is my only local source. And it is cheap. I use it for Christmas ornaments, and for applique on some of my fabric post cards.

3. Christmas Red, Christmas green, black, navy blue, cream, yellow, white, orange, and gold

4.I have never seen glitter felt. I would sure think that any colors that could be used, for Christmas projects, would sell well. I think I would try a bolt of white, red, green and black. I think this would be trial and error. You would just have to see how it goes for a year.

5. Never saw plush fel before. I don't make stuffed animals. That said, I would buy it for other projects. Such as Santas, snowmen, animals (applique), etc. I would think it worth your while to get a bit, maybe a couple basic colors and see how it goes. I would say the white, black...oh, I like ALL the colors. Just go with what you know of your customaers. Or, ask them first.

6. I would defintely use the peel and stick, in all colors. What a great idea for scrapbooking!

7. Be sure to know how it holds up and  is it washable. Even what applications, the company has sold it to other stores for. All this info you could pass on to your customers. Oh, and make up some samples for your customers to see, add applique books and patterns, also.

Do you have an online store? It was my pleasure to answer your questions.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,717
Points 38,350
ls2116 replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 11:17 AM

I don't use felt much.  I still have treeskirt pattern to make with felt and its about 15 yrs. old.  I mostly sew quilts now but when I was a Girl Scout leader we did projects with the small rectangle pieces rather than by the yard. Hope this helps.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 7:17 AM

Hi Vickie, here are my answers.

1) Do you prefer buying 9" x12" pre-cut felt sheets or fabric by the bolt?____ Why?______

both, basic background in bolts, and pre-cut for the various colors I would use in applique.

2) Wich kind of felt do you find yourself using the most, the Rainbow classic felt Kunin or the Stiffened felt?___ Can you give me an exemple of what you like to create with it/them?______

the classic felt.  booklets, table runners,

3) Wich felt colors do you find yourself using the most?______

I love a variety of colors, those rainbow colors look very nice.  Back ground, generally something neutral.

4) Do you ever use the Glitter Felt (bolts only)?_____ For what?_____Would it be worth it for me to have it in my store all year long?_____In wich colors: white, red, fuschia, royal blue, kelly green, black?_________________

I think I would use the glitter for Christmas only. 

5) The Plush felt (bolts only) would be so perfect to create stuffed animals! Do you ever buy it?______Wich colors: White, honey, chocolate, vanilla and/or black?________

Haven't used it before, but looks like it would be fun for stuffed animals as you say.

6)There is also some Peel & Stick pieces made with Classic Felt in 9"x12" as well. Should I carry some? In which colors: White, yellow, red, tan, neon green, fuschia, copper, kelly green, brown, royal blue or black?__

I generally don't like kits.  So I may not like these.

7) Any other tips I should know before going into this?

I really haven't done much with felt.  Having samples of things made up, with patterns, and perhaps some pre-cut kits might attract a lot of people who haven't done anything with felt since grade school.  Simple cute projects might be great for kids, like decorating a can to make a pencil holder.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 11:18 AM

I don't use felt much but I have purchased it and used it for applique. Both regular and glitter. I purchased mine from Joanns and from Hobby Lobby. Only the squares, not yardage. Also, I haven't used it on anything that will be washed. Mostly appliques and hair clips.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use