rated by 0 users
This post has 181 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 1:46 PM

Patti

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  Humidity is the pits.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145

During this 10 days of 100 degree temps and strong storms, we were blessed with not having our electric go off.   The outages came within a mile of us.  DH and I were talking last Tuesday about how we use to handle the heat.  We did not have AC when we first married or when we first built this house.   Ladies never, never tempt the fates like that. 

Wed night about midnight our heat pump went out!!!!      So----we got to try all those old tricks again.  Problem is we are so used to AC that it didn't work as well as I remember.  It was 105 outside and our house went to 92.  The tile on the kitchen floor was hot to walk on.  It didn't cool down much at night.   I have ceiling fans and lots of ice and water and a pool.  Trouble is you do not want to get in a pool during full sun, does things to old brains.    I called service where we bought the pump early in the AM,  Oh yes, they said they would be out today and someone would call in the next hour.   Two hours later, I called again.  Oh Yes we will be there today, just a little backed up, Tech will call you an hour before he comes.   4 hours after that I called again and was told they were short of techs and owner was doing service, she would have him call me.   An hour later he calls and says he has to reshedule for next day and no he can't give me a time he would be here.  I am not sure if I was hot from anger or the temp.

Friday I called my daughter to see who she uses for the cabins she manages,  She said she would call them and see if she could get them out.  They came about Noon on Saturday and it took all of 20 min to fix the silly thing.  Then took all day for it to cool the house down to where we keep it,  Temp outside was 105 

We are cool now, but I have refused to talk about staying cool without AC ever again,  Just need to be careful what I say as usual. 

Granny M

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 6,960
Mz M replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 3:41 PM

Patti I agree with you on dryness vs. humidity!! I'm from Hemet in Southern CA and this humid MN heat is killing me! Oh how I miss a swamp cooler!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 3:51 PM

Granny M

When Lewis and I built our first house in WV we didn't have AC either.  I don't remember it being a big problem and only felt really hot a few days out of the year.   Even stood over a hot stove canning all day.   But I also don't remember it being high 90s and triple digits very often.   It was actually kind of rare for the temps to get that high.  I sure couldn't do without my AC now.  I am definitely spoiled.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 371
Points 6,710

It's been pretty hot down her in Fl as well.  The flooding has been a problem too.

Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 4:13 PM

Not been to bad in Missouri today ,89  but it is humid. so it feels warmer.  I love my AC, hate my electic bill ,it was over 300,00 this past month.. ugh.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,812
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 9:28 PM

Mz M:
Oh how I miss a swamp cooler!

That's a new one on me...  What's a swamp cooler?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 9:58 PM

Nancy I don't remember all the workings ,but Don told me it works off the humidity and somehow it makes the house cool  wish I could remember how it did it.but he said it was nice.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 10:05 PM

Nancy

If I understand correctly a swamp cooler works by blowing air over cold water or ice to make the air feel cooler.  I understand in dry climates that it works amazingly.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 10:08 PM

Nana yeah I tihink that is what he told me. he used one when he lived in Utah ,but that was before me. He like it said it kept is 5-wheel really cold . I just couldn't remember how it worked.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,959
gini replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 11:15 PM

An air conditioner works as a dehumidifier as well as cooling,  a swamp cooler works as a humidifier while cooling.   We don't get very hot, but we live on a lake, we use our air conditioner  mostly for dehumidifying.  All of you in the south would call us panty waists, because. Our humidity is nothing like yours.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 11:58 PM

Gini

I may would call you lots of things but panty waist isn't one of them...even though you don't do hot weather.  I only wish I could still do half the things you manage to get involved in.  You are my idol.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,959
gini replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 1:27 AM

Thanks nana

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Well we officially made it into the triple digits yesterday.  It was 102 and today is supposed to be 104.  I hate the dry heat and believe it or not I miss the humidity of Florida.  Spent Sunday afternoon in the pool and may very well spend some time in there today.

Margaret

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,812
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 1:55 PM

I learn so much on these QCA forums!  Probably more important than learning how to sew an accurate 1/4 inch seam, I now know what a swamp cooler is!  And because panty waist was a new term to me, too, I've looked it up and now understand that it means a sissy male, or one whose manliness is in question.  Guess that doesn't apply to you after all, Gini.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 11 of 13 (182 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use