Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089
Helen Bell Posted: Wed, Dec 30 2009 6:57 AM

Has anyone used these pens to write on fabric?? do you wash the quilt like normal?? do you have to treat the quilt at al?? Please give me any info you have...I am making a signature quilt for my SIL as she has just been diagnosed with Cancer..thanks

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 7:09 AM

I have used them before and I didn't do anything special to the fabric.  After the blocks were written on, I pressed them.  I don't know if the heat helps set the ink or if I just thought it would but I haven't had any problems with them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,639
Shelia replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 7:13 AM

Helen,

I used them to draw the faces on the snowmen in my quilt.  They worked really well.  I didn't have any running of the ink.  I don't know if anyone has washed their quilts, but the pens were listed on the supplies list that came with the pattern.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

thank you Jeanine and Sheila...I am sending her the quilt with her families words and a pen for her to get others to sign her quilt too..would hate for it to all fade away

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 7:19 AM

I used the pens on one quilt but it did wash off.  I have been using the Bic Mark It fine point permanent markers and iron the label before and after writing on it to set the ink.  I don't know if it was just me or maybe a bad pen but my pigma pen did wash out.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

OH NO!!!  #$%^...don't want that to happen...they have already signed them...no I'm scared

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 7:31 AM

Helly

Try ironing the blocks before the quilt is washed and setting the ink.  I have heard of other people using them with great success.  Maybe I has just gotten a bad pen or should of ironed and set the ink.  I will probably try them again because I like the thin line they provide.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Nana...I have heat set them..thought that that couldn't hurt anyway...thanks

Ontario, Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,824
Points 43,844
Eileen replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 8:26 AM

Helen, glad you got some advice on these pens! I'm sorry to hear about your SILs diagnosis & hope they caught it early enough to treat it successfully. I'll be thinking of her & you. Good luck with your signature quilt & I'd love to see a photo when it's done.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 240
Brandi replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 9:03 AM

Hi Helen

I have used the pens before without heat setting and haven't had a problem. I have also found pens at a local scrapbooking store that work as well. I always try to test wash first to see if there will be any issue with new pens because sometimes that bad apple makes it way in. I hope all goes well with your SIL.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 10:29 AM

You can set fabric dyes by soaking in salt water, perhaps that would do the trick.  Make up a couple strips of your own and try setting the ink the wash in a lingere bag (to prevent raveling)

Just a suggestion!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,134
Points 252,617
Thea replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 10:46 AM

Helly, the only thing I would say about the Pigma pens is to make sure you get the permanent ones - you do not have to heat set them and I have used them on quilt labels for years and you can still read the labels so I say go for it with confidence.  They do have Pigma pens that are not permanent ink though so make sure yours actually say Permanent.  they do dry out faster then other pens too. 

You can get them in all color waves.  I have seen quilts that have been colored with these when the bobbing thread has come through - amazing what some people do with them.  I would never have thought of doing this but did see it done and looked good and the lady who used them swore they did not wash away.

Me I would have been frogging and resetting my tensions.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,968
Jeanine replied on Wed, Dec 30 2009 6:56 PM

Retayne  will set the color if you wash your blocks in it.  You'd want to do some reading on it.  I used that on some hand-dyed batik flannel to set the dye.  That might work to as a safety. 

My parents anniversary quilt I made for them 2-3 years ago still looks great.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use