Storing slightly used needles

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon posted on Sun, Jul 1 2012 11:27 AM

Frequently I sew small projects that does not use up a new needle. I use specific needles for different projects so many of them still have life left. I always get confused about which needle I have used since I cannot see the writing on the needles. I've have tried making notes and using blue painters tape on the needles but that did not work well for me. Does anyone have an easier way to track the type of needle used and how much it has been used? 

Toledo, OH

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Answered (Verified) Pat M. replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 11:53 AM
Verified by Sharon

I use one of those "tomato" pin cushions that Marie described.  In each section, I have marked a needle size and type (such as Topstitch 14).  I also write the numbers 1-7.  If I use that needle for only about an hour, it goes in the pin cushion where the number 1 is, 2 hours where the number 2 is, etc.  That way I know how much I have used the needle and will know when to throw it away.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,529 Posts
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 11:39 AM

Sharon, it has been suggested that you use one of those pin cushions that are separated by floss?  and mark each section with a permanent marker with whatever your needle is and store them there.  Other ideas might be to mark empty pill bottles and store them that way or Tick Tack containers, anything small.  Hope this helps.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Answered (Verified) Pat M. replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 11:53 AM
Verified by Sharon

I use one of those "tomato" pin cushions that Marie described.  In each section, I have marked a needle size and type (such as Topstitch 14).  I also write the numbers 1-7.  If I use that needle for only about an hour, it goes in the pin cushion where the number 1 is, 2 hours where the number 2 is, etc.  That way I know how much I have used the needle and will know when to throw it away.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,529 Posts
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 12:06 PM

Just sitting here thinking that a simple needle holder made of felt like the one MNancy gifted at the VB retreat would be another excellent idea.  Or the one Barbara gifted me with my birthday block.  Pics to follow.

Top ones MNancy's Bottom ones Barbara's

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 295

strong eyeglass + light with magnifier + magnifying glass. works for me.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Marie, you are so smart!  I would never have thought to do that myself.  I was only putting hand-sewing needles in my book.  It's easy enough to label the "pages" with a fine point marker indicating needle size and hours of use.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,529 Posts
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 2:25 PM

MNnancy:
Marie, you are so smart!

Well Nancy, I'm entitled to at least one day a year!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,954 Posts
Points 368,352
Kris replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 3:44 PM

MNnancy:

Marie, you are so smart!  I would never have thought to do that myself.  I was only putting hand sewing needles in my book.  It's easy enough to label the "pages" with a fine point marker.

That's what I did with mine Nancy. That little needle book is one of my favourite things. I think of you every time I use it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Kris:
I think of you every time I use it.

Thanks, that makes me smile!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940

I've tried the magnfier and light and glasses trick with no luck, these eyes of my don't cooroperate!

Thanks SvelteCelt

Toledo, OH

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940

What great ideas all of you have! I'll probably try all of them!

Toledo, OH

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use