Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon Posted: Sun, Jul 1 2012 11:10 AM

My house is almost 100 years old and the bathroom has the old style pipes. The hot, cold and drain pipes from the bathtub are upgly and I want to cover them with fabric, or a box covered with fabric. Whatever I do, it has to be movable incase of a leak. The bathtub is an antique with claw feet and in good condition so however the pipes are disguised, it cannot take away from the tub. Any ideas?

Toledo, OH

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 11:55 AM

Pick out a cotton fabric you like, Measure the size you need to cover the area around the sink and add 1/2 more. Use the gathering foot on your machine and using velcro, stitch it. Then use the velcro tape (is that what you call it) to put around the area to cover and velcro the gathered fabric to the sink. You can pull it off anytime you need it out of the way. Oh, also cut the fabric to the length you need.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 12:03 PM

I have seen many gals with old homes putting quilts up in the bathrooms to cover  unwanted sights, I would think any quilt would work or one with whatever theme you have for your bathroon would work. good luck on your project.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Sharon - i think a lot would depend on where the pipes actually are.  Can you post a picture to give us a better idea of what you are trying to cover? 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:06 PM

These are the pipes I want to cover up.

Toledo, OH

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:36 PM

Sharon is there not someway  you can make a skirt  like you place on a mattress, that would go up under the rim of the tub. that would hide the pipes.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 10:37 PM

we have an old claw foot tub too, but our pipes are newer and not quilt as ugly.  But they are also more fragile.  Doesn't take much to bend one.  What about getting a section of pvc pipe that is wide enough that when cut in half, circles around and covers the pipes.  then cover that with fabric.  Then you can just move it aside when needed, and it should stand up on it's own. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 6:33 AM

Sharon

You can make fabric sleeves to cover the pipes using velcro or snaps to close the sleeve after you wrap the pipe.   Sort of like some of the fabric sleeves you can get to cover lamp cords, etc.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 900
johanne replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 1:39 PM

what about a small shelf/cupboard

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 5:46 PM

Couple of good ideas here. I like the shelf idea the best. Looks like you may have a small one there now. Just slide it up to the tub and pull it away when needed to make repairs. Hopefully, that will never happen. But that would be functional in more ways than one. I can see a dim candle, warm bath, scented water and a good quilt book. You could also do a quilt on the wall behind the tub to soften the wall, if that's an option.  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 12:07 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'll post a picture when the project is finished, at least two weeks. Happy 4th of July!

Toledo, OH

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use