Hi! I'm new here.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 145
lanic Posted: Wed, Jun 27 2012 5:43 PM

Hi all, I'm new to quilting but LOVE it.  I have a question about sewing machines.  I have a pretty standard Husqvarna basic machine and am struggling a bit.  Do any of you have a suggestions about the best intermediate sewing machine for quilting?  All comments welcome and thanks.

LaniC

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Wed, Jun 27 2012 5:54 PM

Hi Lani, welcome. I have a Janome 7700, that i love but they are a bit pricey, i guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,470
safrmaz replied on Wed, Jun 27 2012 6:00 PM

Hi Lani, welcome!

I have a Janome 6600, a Janome 3160QDC which is lighter in weight for classes, retreats, etc., and a 28 yr. old Bernina 930 that I'll never part with.  I love Berninas but the models that would give me more features than my 930 were a lot more than I was willing to spend.  I'm quite happy with my Janomes so far.  I have had them less than a year.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 420
Points 28,385

Welcome Lani.  Hope you enjoy your time here.  Everyone is very friendly and helpfyl.

As far as advice on machines, I also have a Husqvarna. Mine is an Emerald 203.  I bought it on clearance and love it but I do not think it is available any longer.

What is making you struggle with your machine?

Good luck.  Sorry I wasn't much help.

Darlene

from Western New York

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 145
lanic replied on Wed, Jun 27 2012 8:14 PM

Hi Darlene,  thanks for the reply.  I have a model 116, pretty basic, and I seem to be having trouble with layers of fabric at seam areas.  The machine seems to bog down.  Probably just me, not only a quilt novice but a sewing machine novice as well.

What a great group of people you are to reply!

Lani

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 420
Points 28,385

Lani, couple suggestions. 

Press the life out of your seams to make it easier to stitch thru.

If you have a walking foot, when joining rows, I like to use mine.

If you do not have a walking foot, see about getting one.  It jumps the presser foot up and down as the needle goes up and down which allows the fabric to flow under the presser foot a little easier.

Hang in there.  Do not be afraid to post when you have a question or problem.  Some one is usually hanging around at all hours.  I have wandered into my dealer many times with questions about the features of my machine.  Because I live between two major cities [Buffalo and Rochester] I do not always go to the store I purchased my machine at.  Depends on which way I am traveling that day to shop.  But when I am having a particular problem, I stop in and ask.  Sometimes the sales clerks cringe when they see I did not purchase my machine at their particular store.  I always tell them that if they want any chance of my continued support, they will help me.  Usually works.  Not always.  That is when I go someplace else.  I have 4 options that are realitvely easy to get to between the two cities.  I no longer shop at one of them.  Their loss.

Darlene

from Western New York

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 555

Welcome.  Everyone on the board is very helpful.  You will get great advice.

kathy

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Wed, Jun 27 2012 8:51 PM

I have a janome memory craft 5200. I got it at a reduced price from my local janome dealer. I went in looking for a different machine that they didn't have and they pulled this one out and offered it at a cheaper price. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Jun 27 2012 9:51 PM

Welcome, Lani.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,966
Points 384,132
Kris replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 12:23 AM

Welcome Lani. Go to a dealer near you and try some of the machines. There are many good ones out there but you'll have to decide which one best suits you. I have two Pfaffs and a Babylock. Love them.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,167
Points 30,500
Ramona replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 5:11 PM

Lanic,

First of all Welcome to the Group.

The machine I have is a Husqvarna Sapphire 870 Quilt. Absolutely love it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,413
Points 19,295

Hi Lani,

Welcome to the group. You will love it here. I have a Bernina 140 Patchwork but the extras are expensive. This machine was left to me by my step mother. I really like it. You will get a lot of help on this site. I've been sewing since I was 8 but I still have to ask quite a few quilting questions.  Everyone here is so helpful and generous with there help.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to the club Lani.

Margaret

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 371
Points 6,725

Welcome aboard

Andrea

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use