Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 143
Points 4,460
Joe Posted: Fri, Jun 22 2012 8:29 AM

Here is the pattern if you would like to make some of these and give where they will do the most good. My third one, much needed and just in time for surgery, is going out next week. Most of you could do this yourself, better maybe, but here's a free one to encourage your fingers. You can see, if you haven't, the already made ones in my gallery. Let me know if more explaining is needed; I have the fabric and cutting info ready to give.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 6,960
Mz M replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 9:07 AM

Thank you for sharing Joe!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,105
Points 109,540
chocake2 replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 9:29 AM

Thank you

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 11:58 AM

Thank you so much.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Joe, I have crazy pieced some fabrics into strips which I then did as a cross a for banner for our church at Easter time but I love the way you have done this.

Don't normally do much traditional quilting but am getting more comfortable with piecing all those 2.5 inch squares into something big.

Love your diagram. 

Thanks for taking the time to share

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 6:36 PM

Thanks Joe

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Hi Joe! My husband is a cancer survivor going on 3 years now. I would love to have the instructions to this quilt, as I am a beginner! Thank you for your work for those who have gone through this horrible ordeal! I'm sure that whoever receives one of your quilts will receive comfort and strength, not to mention getting a warm, snuggly quilt!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 143
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Wed, Jun 27 2012 8:27 AM

Here are the instructions I have written, up to the point of quilting. Please let me know if more clarity is needed. I'll try to get something on the quilting pattern I use, if you need it. I'm happy to hear someone will use this and make one. ----------------

Cancer Survivor's Cross Quilt

Finished size approximately 18" x 24", if you use 2" squares. You could double this and have a small lap quilt, or add a border to increase size if you want it to be a real quilt instead of a wall hanging.

Fabric requirement.

I used a Batik for the cross, a plain white linen look cotton for background 1 and a white patterned muslin for background 2.

Cross fabric - 1/8 yd. One fat quarter makes two quilts.

Background 1 - ¼ yd. If you use this for backing as I did, then 1 yd.

Background 2 - ¼ yd.

Backing, if you use a separate fabric - ¾ yd.

Batting, your choice. I used warm n' natural because I had a piece handy by.

Cutting Directions. (I always cut a few extra, in case of emergencies.)

Cross : cut 36 - 2" squares.

Background 1: cut 84 - 2" squares.

Background 2: cut 72 - 2" squares.

Notes:

The Batik fabric, because of the variation in pattern, makes very different-looking pieces when cut small like this. I sorted the squares into generally lighter and darker, then asked my wife to pick. She chose the lighter stack. That made her cross, and the darker became the first cancer survivor's cross, delivered  5 June 2012.

When picking pieces to sew in the blocks I keep the darker edges to the outside, the lightest pieces to the center of the cross. This sort of reinvents the pattern and makes interesting highlights.

I have pressed seams open, because I'm trying to learn to be cool, but you could do as you wish. I used a self border, or whatever you may call it, where you fold the backing up over, and lap the corners. You could do the border whatever way you know and like.

I have used a simple quilting pattern, which I will try to draw, but this would like great with a fancy quilting pattern. I think it would look mighty good with a fancy pieced or contrasting border as well.

You may can glance at the pattern, scan the cutting directions, and take off on your own. I will describe further how I do it. Please remember I sew all by hand, and don't know the machine talk.

I'm assuming you know how to press and cut and all that. I am a former wild man quilter, used to tearing the cloth into approximate sizes and eyeballing it from there. I have been civilized to some extent by Linda, and now use a rotary cutter, a mat, rulers, and all that.

Once you have your two-inch squares, my next step is to sew into patches of two squares, which are then combined into the blocks. Here is the patch count: (I do extras, safety first)

16 - C/C - that is cross/cross, you understand.

36 - 1/1 - that is background 1 / background 1

32 - 2/2 - that is background 2 / background 2

8 - 1/2 - that is background 1 / background 2

4 - C/1 - that is cross / background 1

I make a stack of each of these, kept in a shoe box by my chair, and pinch 'em out as needed.

You will probably have a neat sewing setup and will be much more organized.

I do all the patches, sew together to make the blocks, iron the seams open, and then assemble blocks into strips. Since this is a printable and reusable pattern you may wish to cross the blocks and rows off as you go, as I do.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Wow, so thorough! You're a great quilter and a very creative man. I'm sooo glad you found what works for you and makes you happy! Thanks for the pattern, and don't worry, if I get stuck, I'll give you a shout!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 143
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 8:17 AM

And here's what happens when the recipient opens the surprise package:

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,502
Points 50,685
Ginny replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 9:20 AM

How wonderful, Joe. It is apparent that he really likes the wallhanging.  Isn't it just a great lift to see that smile?    Ginny

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 950

Beautiful Joe and thank you for sharing the instructions!

Jeannine, Happy Anniversary and Congratulations!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,447
Points 361,732
Kris replied on Thu, Jun 28 2012 11:00 PM

Joe,

thanks for sharing that photo. It's wonderful to see how happy you made him. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use