Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 250
sandy Posted: Tue, Jun 19 2012 1:13 PM

Hi, I'm somewhat new to quilting, I really like quilting. I was thinking of buying a flynn quilt frame, I saw it demonstrated on Fons and Porter and it looks fairly easy. Has anyone tried it yet?

Sandy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,108
Points 109,585
chocake2 replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 2:10 PM

I have no personal experience with them, but one of my old quilty buddies bought one about 10 years ago. She expressed frustration in having to go out and buy components for it at the hardware store after she bought it (the rails were not included), which was an un-expected additiona expense. She found learning to use it frustrating. She most definately did not like the product. Then again... maybe she just didn't read the directions very carefully and didn't know what she was doing. I think it would probably be helpful if you had some prior experience with free motion quilting before you buy it.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 4:10 PM

Someone else asked this question in the last week or so.  Opinions weren't favorable.  I was a little surprised because I saw the same episode on F&P and also thought it looked easy.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Wed, Jun 20 2012 4:52 PM

I have actually tried his frame at the Nashville quilt show years ago. Didn't care for it at all.  I would have great difficulty recommending the frame. I also have a friend who purchased one a few years back and never got it together. She ended up giving it away. She didn't like the setup of it at all.

I'd also like to welcome you to the group.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 20,020
Carol replied on Wed, Jun 20 2012 9:58 PM

OK, now I don't feel so bad about buying the Flynn frame, then  hating it  and giving it away - just couldn't use it, but then I didn't like the idea of taking my machine out of it's cabinet and setting it on a table like the directions said.  FMQ is very hard for me, have about given up on it at this point!  I'm trying to figure out a way to do QAYG without all the hand stitching to cover the seams (ala G. Bonesteel many years ago) I have a project in the works now that seems to be OK. We'll see later!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Thu, Jun 21 2012 8:36 AM

Hi Sandy!

I asked this same question last week and got pretty much the same answers you are.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 6,980
Mz M replied on Thu, Jun 21 2012 8:48 AM

I have a Flynn quilt frame and like it for the smaller (baby or twin) quilts. I really don't have the room to comfortably utilize it for the larger quilts so I go to my friends house and use her long arm. Like anything else it takes a bit of practice and the results are like that of a long arm. If I could afford what I really want then the Flynn would go to GoodWill but as things are now I use it and like it. It's all in how you hold your hands and sit or stand to be able to move freely.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Jul 4 2012 8:47 AM

!I love Lap Quilting as learned from Georgia Bonesteel on GPBTV and her fantastic books.  Hand quilting the sections was so easy and fun, I did not mind hemming the back rows by hand.  It was an amazing sense of accomplishment when completed and looks so beautiful on my bed.

I'm hoping to start a sampler quilt before summer is gone!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use