Top 10 Posters

Massachusetts quilter?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 50
dafoester posted on Tue, Jun 19 2012 7:00 AM

Greetings, I am not a quilter,so hopefully I do not offend anyone.

My girlfriend and I are expecting our first child in December and we have been searching high and low to find a bedding set that we both like for our baby girl's nursery.We recently found one that we liked at Pottery Barn, but it had been discontinued.So, this is what brings me to this site.If anyone in Massachusetts is interested in taking on this project I would love to talk with you a bit more.

Thanks,

Phil

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Ooo, quilt by commission.  I hope you find someone up for the task.  I can't imagine it would have to be a Massachusetts quilter as long as you have a picture of the quilt.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 10:09 AM

have you contacted the local quilt shops in your area.  they might have a lead on a quilter that would take on the project.   do you realize that the quilts at pottery barn are mass produced, most likely in china.   you are asking for a custom quilt, and bedding set,  hand-made,  and it will be considerably more expensive.  you might also check with your local tailors to see if they know of anyone who would take on the project. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 295

Ditto what they said, plus, my recommendation is to request a wool, flannel or cotton batting rather than polyester.  The poly looks cute and fluffy when new, but the others will become an heirloom treasure.  You may not understand how shops can sell these items so cheaply compared to commissioned work. Plus the ones at shops lose their appeal when held up to handmade. They rely primarily on the fabric to attract your attention but fail miserably in the detail work.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use