Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 375
JSBrasher Posted: Sun, Dec 27 2009 2:41 PM

Hi everyone,

I am new to quilting (well, I grew up under my grandmother's quilting frame), and am looking for ANY tips I can find. I am working on my first quilt. A simple 9 patch, with the center patch also a 9 patch. I am making it in brown calico and ecru fabrics. My grandmother has been kind of helpful, but she usually just buys pre-printed quilt tops and quilts those. I am looking to be more hands-on with my quilts, and hope to finish one completely by hand in 2010.

Jess

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 3,475
Tink922 replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 2:44 PM

Wow, Jess, you are ambitious! I'm a quilt-newbie, too, and am having a hard enough time learning using a machine. ;-) Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

North Central Ohio

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 2:58 PM

Tink922:
and am having a hard enough time learning using a machine.

I agree, Tink!  Keeping an accurate 1/4 inch seam was the first important lesson I learned.  However does one do that when hand-sewing a quilt???

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 375
JSBrasher replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 3:05 PM

I was at Joanns yesterday, and I found the niftiest stuff!!! It is called Quilter's tape. It is exactly 1/4 inch wide, and you place it one one piece of your fabrics, and sew along the bottom edge of it. It is made by the Dritz company.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 375
JSBrasher replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 3:06 PM

One other thing -- HOW do I get the adorable font signature that you both have???

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 3,475
Tink922 replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 3:11 PM

I saw on another thread that you can make one at  www.mylivesignature.com. However, I think those who made them early on had more room to add multiple lines in the profile edits than we can now. Have fun playing with it!

North Central Ohio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 3:15 PM

Hi Jess,

welcome to QCA.  Have you checked out QNNtv yet?  If you go to that site and select videos on demand, then on the search put in "nine patch" and it will give you several videos to watch,  Fons and Porter, Eleanor ? with "nine patch party," etc. 

My first attempt at a nine patch was to cut the squares separately then sew them together.  Then I learned that is not the way to do it. 

I recently made quilts for the grandkids using a dissapearing 9 patch that I learned from other members here.  It is a nine patch block that is then cut into quarters to make 4 separate blocks.  Those blocks are turned, reorganinzed to sew together making a very nice quick and easy scrappy quilt. 

You will be sure to enjoy this site.  Many encouraging helpful people.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Hi and welcome Jess...glad to hear we have another quilter in our midst...good luck with your 9 patch...if you have any questions this is the site to ask them...we are all happy to answer and there will be many answers for the same question...so pick which one you like and try it

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,299
Points 414,044
gini replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 5:00 PM

jess, welcome.   you've found a fun quilt site, for sure.   when i first started hand piecing quilts i drew a scant 1/4 inch seam on the wrong side of the fabric to use as a guide.   they make a little 1/4 inch square by 6 or 12 inch long clear plastick stick that works great for this.   after a while, your 1/4 inch seams get accurate enough that you don't need the guide.   when starting, you dont; need to make a knot.    you take a tiny stitch or two at the beginning  and leave a i/2 inch tail,  then do a back stitch to the beginning of your stitching. as you stitch, move your  thread  back and forth under your needle with each stitch for two stitches.   this holds really well without the  bulk of a knot.    you can make a lingerie knot and the end of your stitching to eliminate a knot there too.   set a goal todo so much on your quilt each week and you will finish in plenty of time.       happy quilting   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,299
Points 414,044
gini replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 5:03 PM

one more thing.   the quarter inch tape works great for guides as you're quilting.   use it all the time.   it isn't as good for sewing 1/4 inch seams though, because it doesn't give you a scant 1/4 inch.   when  i draw the 1/4 inch line with the guide.  i sew just inside the line    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Jess--

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome to QCA.  I have such admiration for hand quilters, but alas, I'm a machine quilter all the way. I have tried doing a little hand quilting now and then, not very good at it, but will keep trying.  I think you're going to love this site and all the helpful, friendly folks you meet here.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,404
Points 361,172
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 5:23 PM

Hi Jess,

it's good to have you here with us. You've come to the right place for quilting advice/tips and lots of inspiration. Have fun with it. Be sure to let us know how you're doing and post photos when you're done.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 375
JSBrasher replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 8:32 PM

Thanks for all of y'all information!!! I am loving the website so far. I will look for that 1/4 inch measuring stick you were talking about gini.

This is the pattern that I want to do completely by hand.

http://www.rjrfabrics.com/patterns/download_pattern.cfm?psID=86

Can anyone offer any color tips? I was thinking dark blue or green and white.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Welcome to the QCA forums Jess!

Like Gini, I've used the 1/4" tape for hand quilting. Now I use it to mark the quarter inch from the end when I'm machine stitching the binding to the quilt. I've also used the quarter inch plastic piece to draw the seam line. I think Gini makes a good point that you don't want to stitch exactly 1/4" when making the seams.

The quilt you want to make is beautiful! I think with that pattern, you could use whatever colors you wanted as long as the background was all one color. It might be really pretty with a black background, too.

Gillette, WY

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 313
Points 6,970
Wynnie replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 10:03 PM

JSBrasher:

Thanks for all of y'all information!!! I am loving the website so far. I will look for that 1/4 inch measuring stick you were talking about gini.

This is the pattern that I want to do completely by hand.

http://www.rjrfabrics.com/patterns/download_pattern.cfm?psID=86

Can anyone offer any color tips? I was thinking dark blue or green and white.

Hello Jess,

Welcome to the group of QCA. It is a great group to find informations or help about your quilt.

Your pattern is very beautiful. I like your idea about blue and white.

Québec, Canada

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use