Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 555
Kathleen Johnston Posted: Sat, Jun 16 2012 11:19 AM

I am new to the message board.  I am a retired teacher,  I have just inherited a Pfaff sewing machine from my mother and would like to learn how to quilt.  I have asked at various stores about lessons but if you don;t buy the machine there-they won;t give you lessons.  I fully expected to pay for the lessons,  Does anyone have any ideas?

• | Post Points: 125
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 12:51 PM

Hi Kathleen,

Sorry i cant help with the Pfaff, i have a bernina and a husqvarna (and as long as i only have to sew a straight stitch im fine).

I did however want to welcome you to QCA, we have lots of fun and laughs and i have learnt so much by joining QCA.

Lots of love

Francesxx

England

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 12:56 PM

Hi Kathleen,

Sorry me again have you tried youtube, i just put pfaff and your sewing machine number and lots of different videos came up, it might be worth a try.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 1:37 PM

Kathleen

Welcome to the site.  I hope you enjoy your time with us.  I don't know anything about the Pfaff machines but hopefully you can find something on YouTube.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 2:25 PM

Kathleen, is it lessons you need for the machine or quilting lessons?  If it's the latter, you've come to the right place to learn.  I suggest "Quilty" and "Quilty ll on Craftsy.com.  Jenny Doan from Missouristarquiltco.com teaches these classes you purchase and her methods are very simple and easy to understand.  The classes you purchase are yours forever so you could refer back to them anytime.  BTW, welcome!  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 2:28 PM

OOPS!  the lessons should have read "Quilting Quickly" and "Quilting Quickly ll"

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 2:31 PM

Kathleen,

Welcome to the site! Post any question you might have and someone will get back to you. If you have a Joann's close by, they do have quilting classes and you don't have to buy the machine from them. Have you purchased all the necessary tools like a cutting board, rotary cutter, rullers? And, do you have a 1/4 inch foot for the machine?

Here is a site for an easy pattern to start with. http://www.friendfolks.com/store.php?cat=2  There are several variations of the Turning Twenty.  I'm sure others will provide you with their favorite patterns. I started with the log cabin pattern.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 4:38 PM

Kathleen welcome to the club, If you are wanting to learn you have come to the right place, If you are a full member there are a lot of great videos on this site to learn from, Go to Amazon and get you some books or the library for beginners. these will aa help you .mot of us here are all self taught ,and this is how a lot of us learned . We are always here to answer questions if needed. Once yo get going you're gonna love it . Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to the club Kathleen.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 8:42 PM

Kathleen,  the lessons you are talking about are how to use the features on your machine,    Quilt shops should have quilting lessons.    Are the lessons you are talking about at a quilt shop or at a machine dealer?

I don't own a pfaff, but you should be able to find a pfaff group on yahoo that can help you with your machine.  Have you gone online to find a manual on your machine, or do you have one already.    

Are you talking about the quilting itself, which is sewing the layers together, or making a quilt top, ie.  piecing or appliqué?, or both?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 8:44 PM

Geez, Kathleen, I got so busy asking you questions, I forgot to welcome you.   Hello and welcome to the group.  You will get lots of help here with quilting.   Just let us know what you need.    

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,237
Points 239,627
Thea replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 11:09 PM

Kathleen - what type of Pfaff do you have?  There are many different ones - and are you looking for lessons on the machine - or lessons on quilting.  

If you are looking for lessons on the sewing machine - you would be able to get them at a licensed dealer for that type of machine.  

If you are looking for lessons on quilting - most quilt shops have lessons for beginners - 

I can help you with some things on the pfaff if you let me know what type you have - I have 2 different pfaff machines and it is a pretty easy machine to sew on if you have done any sewing before...

How much of a beginner are you?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 555

Thanks to everyone for  their warm welcome.  It  is fantastic to find agroup so eager to help a "newbie".  Thanks again.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 555

Hi and thanks for your offer of help.  The quilting lessons I can get through some local quilt shops.  I think I can also get a lot of help here.  The problem is the Pfaff lessons.  The Pfaff dealer nearest to me will not give me lessons on the machine or allow me into any of the Pfaff clubs/-if I gain competence.  Sin to a ce I did not  purchase the machine there.

The machine is a 2144 upgraded  to a 2170.  My mother probably bought it in Springfield ,Missouri or Oklahoma.  I don/t know what year.

I've stumbled through the manual  for the basics but I do not feel competent in messing with the screen .  The embroidery unit and hoops,3D box are all a mystery.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Mon, Jun 18 2012 8:15 AM

Welcome, Kathleen.  Can't help with your machine, sorry about that. Ask around a local quilt shops, they may be able to give you the name of someone, who is a customer, and has a Pfaff. Try that. Also, check the phone book for dealers close by. Also, ask at the quilt shop if they know of a person who will teach you all the in's and out's of your machine. My sister did this, paid $30.00 an hour, and left knowing every function of that machine.

Hope yu can find help. Quilting is just so much fun. You will be amazed when you see your first quilt all finished and realize that YOU made that work of art.

Now, where are you from? Kids, grandkids? Let us know more about you. You will learn about us real quick!!

Sukochi

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use