Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 175
vbellettini Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2012 9:21 AM

Hi all,

I live in No. Calif. & have been quilting, sewing & doing needlework all my life.  Going to Chicago next month for a family reunion & I'm looking for some recommendations for quilt shops to visit.  Suggestions are eagerly anticipated!

Thank you!

Virginia B.

• | Post Points: 155
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,406
Points 415,664
gini replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 9:54 AM

Hi Virginia, welcome to the group.   I was so busy seeing all the sights in Chicago, I didn't even think about quilt shops.  It is a beautiful, fun city. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,550
Points 46,960
Debbie-do replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 12:11 PM

I went to Chicago last year to visit my son and was hard pressed to find many quilt shops!  I did find Quiltology at 1221 W Diversey Street which Mary Fons has filmed some shows or show segments at.  The owner was very nice and the shop is tiny.  I brought some fat quarters home and it was a quick walk to the train.  Have a great trip!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 1:51 PM

Virginia

Welcome.  I can't help with the quilt shop info as I have never been to Chicago.   Hope you have a fun trip.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 3:01 PM

Virginia we have a couple of gals here form chicago ,hopefully they will see this thread and be able to help you out. have fun on your trip , Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,199
Points 16,075
Susan replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 3:29 PM

Welcome, Virginia ! Have you heard of the book, Quilters Travel Guide. It has quilt shops located in every state in the country and usually with a new book it will be up to date. Hope this helps! Have a safe and enjoyable trip next month.    Susan,   North, Florida

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 385

Me too!  It is an easy train ride to Chi town, but how about shops easy to get to by bus or train there?

54490-238-82709ACF8509E3BC1FOCFDB04EA66E

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,012
Points 19,515

Virginia - You say the Chicago area -- are you going to be in a suburb??  I am not familiar with the city but know of shops in the 'burbs.  Let me know and I can help you find the shops

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jun 15 2012 10:11 PM

Virginia, do you have a smart phone?  Fons & Porter have a quilt shop locator app.  You can download it to your computer, too.  I found this very helpful on my last road trip.

http://www.fonsandporter.com/quiltshopapp.html

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,407
Points 19,560

Hi Virginia,

I'm sorry I can't help with Chicago as I've never been further east than Colorado. I live in northern California also. Where to do you live in No. California. I live in Georgetown, between Auburn and Placerville. There is an app for smart phones from this site that locates quilt shops from where ever you are. Or you can look on line before you leave. Have fun on your trip and welcome to the club and this happy family of quilters.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Not Ranked
Posts 61
Points 905
rubyluise replied on Sat, Jun 16 2012 1:35 AM

Are you searching the shop at online researching??? I must say that At least you can get any particular clue for that, So might be easy for you to find the quilt shop at Chicago.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,810
Points 43,674
Eileen replied on Sun, Jun 17 2012 10:13 PM

Virginia, Quiltology (which someone already mentioned) is the only shop I know if in the city itself.  There are more in the surrounding suburbs, such as Quilter's Heaven in Northbrook (northwest of Chicago), Fabrics Etc 2 in Bensenville (mostly west but north of downtown) and Quilter's Destination  and Linda Z's in Arlington Heights.  You might also check out the link to a Northern Illinois Shop Hop which runs through August - http://www.northernillinoisquiltfest.com/quilt_shop_hops.html

Have fun & enjoy the reunion!

PS check out WGN channel 9 for weather - Tom Skilling is one of the better meteorologists in the area.  If you're driving around, CBS/WBBM 780 AM and 105.9 FM is 24/7 news radio with traffic reports every 10 minutes.  If you're not familiar with the highways, try to find a map that shows names as well as numbers as the traffic reporters refer to roads by name (i.e. 290 is the Eisenhower or Ike) & there's plenty of construction going on around here.  Do not trust the travel times on Mapquest as traffic in Chicago can be really heavy & slow, especially at rush hour & all day Friday.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 185
Points 2,800
Meggov replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 11:31 AM

Eileen is right - the only shop I know if in the city proper  is Quiltology.  There are shops in the suburbs but the only one I know of that is near a train station (NW Metra line) is all the way in Barrington called A Touch of Amish.  It's a great store, just not close to the city.  I have also been to the others Eileen mentioned - all are good though Linda Z's does not have a whole lot of fabric - mainly a machine store.  I also agree with the mention of the Northern Illinois shop hop - I know it's online - lots of stores listed there.

Happy shopping and quilting!

Margaret

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,548
Points 23,405
Susie replied on Tue, Jun 19 2012 1:02 PM

I haven't done the shop hop quite yet, so I only know about the one near me.  But I wouldn't recommend the shop by me.  I haven't been impressed at all by the service or friendliness for the several times I've been in there.

My plan is to start the hop this weekend, so I'll have more details for you early next week.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 175

Wow!  You guys are great!  Thank you Nancy, for steering me back to this site to reply to all.  I really appreciate the suggestions.  I don't know enough to know what suburbs I'll be in though we are staying in a condo right on S. Michigan Ave.  But I think my relatives live near Bucktown.  I did come across a little shop there, The Needle Shop, that looks pretty good.  We will have a car, but I have no idea how long it takes to get to Rockport, or Barrington or Batavia, etc. from the City.  I'll have my husband and 2 grown sons in tow too so it's not like a can really do a shop hop, though that was a great suggestion!  I will try to visit Quiltology and The Needle Shop and be happy with those.

Thanks so much for all the information!

And, Gini, I signed my name Virginia, but I am a Gini too!  Rarely see anyone who spells it that way!

Cheers!

Gini

PS:  How do you get those cool signatures onto your messages?

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use