Top 10 Posters

Quilting Frames

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
364 Posts
Points 4,680
Kelli posted on Tue, Jun 12 2012 7:03 PM

I am considering getting a quilting frame. I am thinking about possibly getting the Flynn multi-frame or something similar. I was wondering if anyone has used one or something similar and if so what are your opinions on it. Is it worth it? Is there anything I should know before buying it? I don't know if it makes a difference but the machine I will be using with it is a Janome memory craft 5300

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
17 Posts
Points 440
Verified by Kelli

I had a Flynn and did not like it. Using it with a small, crib, quilt was fine. It did not work well with larger quilts. I found it ackward and eventually just gave it away going back to not having a frame. I do have a friend that has a Grace frame and loves it. It is more expensive but might be worth the extra cost.

• | Post Points: 70

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,385 Posts
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 11:34 PM

Hi Kelli, I can't help you much with frames, but wanted to welcome you.  I am sure you will be getting some responses.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Points 440
Verified by Kelli

I had a Flynn and did not like it. Using it with a small, crib, quilt was fine. It did not work well with larger quilts. I found it ackward and eventually just gave it away going back to not having a frame. I do have a friend that has a Grace frame and loves it. It is more expensive but might be worth the extra cost.

• | Post Points: 70
Top 200 Contributor
364 Posts
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 6:20 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I think I'm really going to enjoy this site. I have already found some really interesting things and ideas for future projects

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
364 Posts
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 6:21 PM

Thank you that was exactly what I wanted to know. I think I will hold off on getting a frame until I can try one out and see how I like it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
847 Posts
Points 15,700

I agree with redfish21.  I have a Flynn and don't like it either.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,123 Posts
Points 411,179
gini replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 10:01 PM

Kelli and redfish, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
364 Posts
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 10:16 PM

Thank you for the welcome. I have been doing some research and I think I'm going to o with the grace start right queen size. I'm going to g o the sho tomorrow and chek it out, but barring some outrageous discovery I'm getting that one probably the bundle with the machine. 

Top 200 Contributor
364 Posts
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 10:17 PM

Thank you for the welcome. I have been doing some research and I think I'm going to o with the grace start right queen size. I'm going to g o the sho tomorrow and chek it out, but barring some outrageous discovery I'm getting that one probably the bundle with the machine. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
12,940 Posts
Points 234,172
Thea replied on Thu, Jun 14 2012 10:35 PM

hello Kelli - welcome to the site - I, also, had a flynn frame and did not like it - I have a grace frame that is not up at the present time but loved it when I had it up - it has 3 rails so that you have a rail for top, bottom, and batting.  It has really good tightening loops on the sides to keep it tight when you are quilting so you don't get any pleats in the backing.  easy to put the quilt on too.  

They have collaborated with gammil now so that you can get a gammil quilting machine along with one of the grace frames... they are also made of good quality wood which is a plus from DH's point of view.

Top 200 Contributor
364 Posts
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Fri, Jun 15 2012 1:56 PM

Well, I decided to go ahead and get the Gracie King with the Juki 2000qi. I just ordered today from the local shop. They said it will be in in about 7 business days. I'm sooooo excited! I can't wait to get it together and try it out.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
12,940 Posts
Points 234,172
Thea replied on Fri, Jun 15 2012 2:21 PM

congratulations Kelli - I am sure you will be happy with the frame - I do not know anything about the machine- but had looked into buying a Juki years ago and thought they were good back then... someday!!!

Top 200 Contributor
364 Posts
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Fri, Jun 15 2012 4:17 PM

I really didn't need the machine but I found a package deal online that my local shop honored so I decided to go ahead. This way I don't have to take my other machine off and on the frame. Plus I just like having new toys. LOL :-)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,023 Posts
Points 16,150

Welcome Kelli and Congratulations. I love me some toys! LOL!!!

Judylee

Not Ranked
17 Posts
Points 440

Let me know how you like this. I have been putting off getting one and would love to hear what your experience is. I thought the package only comes with the queen size frame. Let me know more about this as I do a lot of king size quilts.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use