Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 69
Points 2,430
nitchals Posted: Tue, Jun 12 2012 8:48 AM

Excited to attend my first Quilt Show and Conference this week in Rochester MN.  I didn't sign up for a class but I'll get to enjoy the eye candy (quilts) which I am sure will make me itch to get home and quilt myself.

Any suggestions for me - is there something I absolutely should pack in my purse for the trip or things I should seek out?

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 9:10 AM

Have a great time at the quilt show, i can't give you any advice as I have never been to  a big show ,but I would pack up a larg bag to carry all the things you will pick up . Have fun. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,023
Points 16,150
Judy Lee replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:20 AM

Hi Nitchals,

You are going to have a blast. My only suggestion is to bring gloves, they don't like people to touch the quilts. Sometimes they have a steward that will show the backs of the quilts if you ask them to.  I learned so much by looking at the front of the show quilts and even more by looking at the backs.  It really made me feel like I was approaching and passing some of the entrants. You never really know how far you have come until you examine other quilts.  Bring a nice tote to put all your purchases in, I kept dropping all the plastic baggies.LOL!

Have a Great time!

Judylee

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:28 AM

Luckily at the MN Quilt Show you can take pictures of the quilts on exhibits (but not in the vendors' booths).  When you snap a picture of a quilt, remember to also take a picture of the name card next to it with designer, piecer, quilters' names on them.  

The vendor hall is worth a visit.  Bring along some spending money for notions, patterns, books, kits, gifts, etc.  Don't hesitate to try out any of the sewing machines being sold - big or small.  They are intended to be hands-on, and if you're in the market for a machine, you can get some very good prices during the show.

They usually have some great classes at the MN Quilt Show, but you would have had to preregister for those.  Think about attending over multiple days next year.  I think next year's show is in Duluth - a beautiful city to visit on Lake Superior.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,104
Points 110,180

nitchals:

Excited to attend my first Quilt Show and Conference this week in Rochester MN.  I didn't sign up for a class but I'll get to enjoy the eye candy (quilts) which I am sure will make me itch to get home and quilt myself.

Any suggestions for me - is there something I absolutely should pack in my purse for the trip or things I should seek out?

Bring a large tote bag. I mean LARGE.  When I went to the huge Sew Expo (in Puyallup)  I brought two of those lightweight bags that roll up into themselves. Filled both of them! Bring a camera (always ask before taking a photo) and a note pad. Also, if there are things you are looking for, make a list. If the trade floor is anything like Sew Expo you'll be so overwhelmed you'll forget everything you were wanting.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 11:13 AM

Make sure the bag is a shoulder bag.  Nothing worse than taking a bag along and having to hold it in your hand all day.  I'd say take a backpac but those crowds get annoyed when you swing aroung and take out a swath of participants!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 21,720
Susie replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 12:20 PM

Vivian :

I'd say take a backpac but those crowds get annoyed when you swing aroung and take out a swath of participants!!

ROFLOL!  That's one way to clear a path...

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 12:35 PM

Vivian :
I'd say take a backpac but those crowds get annoyed when you swing aroung and take out a swath of participants!!

Oh Vivian....I can picture you doing this....ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 12:51 PM

A lot of the big shows have a place for a minimum cost to hold your bags.  I take large bags that can be rolled up and when they get full take them to the bag check place.  That way I don't have to carry them all and pick them all up on the way out the door.  A tag like a baggage claim tag with your name and address helps too for easy identification.  Also wear the most comfy shoes you own.  Enjoy yourself.

Diana in East Tn.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,929
Points 233,847
Thea replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 1:46 PM

nitchals:
is there something I absolutely should pack in my purse for the trip or things I should seek out?
you need to pack a camera so you can share the eye candy with us!!!  Really - though just have fun!  REST up before you go cuz it will be a long day!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 1:48 PM

Looks like they said it all, specially about the big bags, and make it shoulder bags, gloves and camera, with extra batteries and memory card.  Be prepared to be amazed and astonished at all the perfection you will see.  The quilt tops themselves are extraordinary, but then there is the quilting.  WOW!  Have a lot of fun. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 4:17 PM

Nana:

Oh Vivian....I can picture you doing this....ROFLOL

MEE!!! why me??  I would NEVER do that, more than once.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 21,720
Susie replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 4:26 PM

I have only been to one quilt show, and I'm not so sure about going again...I want to, but I had several distracted moms run into me with their strollers because they couldn't leave their little ones at home.  I don't mean infants, I mean toddlers and pre-schoolers!  And the temper tantrums from those that wanted out.

UGH!  Maybe my first clue should have been that it was at an elementary school?  Narrow halls, ECHOS abound, floors just made for running...you know the drill.  Maybe I will bring a backpack when I go next time, if for no other reason that to "accidentally" drop it on a stroller.

I had my granddaughter that weekend.  She wanted to go along, but being that she was only 2 years old, and I didn't think it was the place for her, I got a sitter for the afternoon.  I don't understand the mentality of parents that think that if they can go, so can the kids.  I would gladly take her now, at almost 5, but she works at the sewing machine with me, and helps me press my fabric, pin/unpin, and helps with the rotary cutter.  It's the out of control kids that drive me nuts!

(Sorry...just a pet peeve---racing kids belong on a playground, not at a crowded show...)

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 5:39 PM

Susie

The out of control kids drive me nuts too.   I do not understand why society in general believes it is ok for kids to run all over the place screaming and yelling when they are in public.  My kids weren't allowed to act like that in public.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 6:57 PM

Oh Nana if we acting like that is public ,dad would have the belt going when we got home. So it didn't happen often. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use