Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 2,455
nitchals Posted: Sat, Dec 26 2009 4:15 PM

So far the bindings on my projects have been non-existant.  I have sewn the right sides of th back and front fabric together, leaving an opening to turn the piece and then hand stitching the rest closed.  Since our Christmas plans with our family was postponed (too much snow and ice) we ended up heading to a friends for supper.  I was going to quickly make my friend a couple festive potholders with my leftover christmas fabrics as a thank you. 

I watched  a few video's and read my quilting 101 book on binding the project and thought I was ready.  I was wrong... I tried the metered corners and the first side looked right but when I tried to tack it to the other side it looked a bit like a three year old had put it together. 

There is another method in one of my books, but it looks like it involves more cutting, instead of the one strip of fabric.  What do you recommend for a binding method, what are the pro's and con's?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Re: Binding Strips

this is a post that has some info on binding...hope this helps

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Dec 26 2009 4:20 PM

I'm not very experienced with these things, and I know you'll get some wiser answers later, but when I've made pot-holders, I just cut the backing bigger, press a straight hem in that, roll it over to the front, and machine-stitch it.  In my kitchen, at least, pot holders get replaced every year or two, so I don't need anything labor-intensive.

For quilts, I prefer the double French binding.  I've heard it wears better than a single layer binding.  It does involve the dreaded hand-stitching of the inside edge, though.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,706
Points 419,524
gini replied on Sat, Dec 26 2009 7:12 PM

nitchals.    when you are making the mitred binding that is all in one piece,   follow the directions precisely.    the depth of the seam allowance needs to be the same size of the finished binding.   ie.,   if you have a 1/4 inch finished binding, you need o 1/4 inch seam allowance, to get the mitre to work.    gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 2,455
nitchals replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 12:08 PM

Helly,

I can't seem to get your link to work.  Suggestions?

Thanks,

Nitchals

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,479
Carol replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 12:34 PM

I do the same thing MNnancy, with a lot of smaller items. I do love the double French binding and have done it on the machine

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 2:17 PM

Carol, I would LOVE to hear more about doing a traditional binding on the machine.  Do you do that extra thin little piping-like piece?  I'm sure I saw an article on that once.  I have to get better at marking interesting articles that I might want to return to.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,833
Points 381,907
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 5:43 PM

nitchals:

Helly,

I can't seem to get your link to work.  Suggestions?

Thanks,

Nitchals

Nitchals, try this Binding Strips

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,991
Points 250,032
Thea replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 5:55 PM

Nitchals - I did a pictoral on how to do binding the way i do it - here is a link to it

https://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/forums/p/2495/29252.aspx#29252

I hope that helps you! 

The first part is how to cut bias binding - I have a nother method where you sew it like a tube - but I only use bias bindings on a curved edge quilt - for a regular quilt I cut strips - either lengthwise or crosswise...

If you are interested in the other way to cut the bias binding strips I think someone put a link to the page that has them.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 2,455
nitchals replied on Sun, Dec 27 2009 6:22 PM

Awesome, just what I needed!!  I am working on a kennel quilt today, hope to be binding it in a day or two.  Can't wait to try your tips.  I especially love that the pictures have how to roll it over and finish the back side.  So many instructions just include how to sew it on the front.  I have renewed hope.  :)

Thanks,

Nitchals

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 408
Points 6,479
Carol replied on Mon, Dec 28 2009 3:28 AM

MNnancy:

Carol, I would LOVE to hear more about doing a traditional binding on the machine.  Do you do that extra thin little piping-like piece?  I'm sure I saw an article on that once.  I have to get better at marking interesting articles that I might want to return to.

MNnancy,

Just read Thea's tutorial and I like her idea of a 3/8" seam. After my binding is stitched to quilt and folded and pressed to the back I stitch in the seam line on the front, being careful on the mitered corners. I have done the piping piece on baby quilts. I usually do the machine binding on kids quilts that are going to get washed a lot

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 118
Points 2,524
Pam Schue replied on Mon, Dec 28 2009 6:41 AM

Go to the top of the page and type in "Bindings" in the aearch box.  That wil take you to all disscusions for binding from all the girls. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Mon, Dec 28 2009 7:21 AM

I too just read Thea's tutoririal. It is the best. Have filed it under my saved files from QCA.

Excelllent tip and explanation Thea!!!!!!!!!!

Edith

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Dec 28 2009 8:28 AM

My favorite binding is making a 2 1/4 inch bias tape, folding in half, iron, being careful not to stretch when ironing/sewing it on. My corners never turn out as nice as pictures so I have started making a nice curve at corners.  Viola!  Beautiful finsh front and back.  I just use a coffee mug and mark, cut with rotary cutter.  Simple and looks great!

BTW. everything I've read about bindings points out that BIAS bindings last longer, can take more abuse and don't fray like other bindings.  I try to always make bias tape with suitable fabric to compliment my quilt.  It has become a source of (OOPS!) PRIDE.  Because of the flexibility of this Bias Tape, I'm looking forward to doing a nice scalloped binding, perhaps on the Baby Girl Disappearing Nine Patch I'm working on...There I go commiting myself again! LOL

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use