rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,400
Renee posted on Sat, Jun 2 2012 3:42 PM

Hello everyone,

I have an idea for a quilt. It is based on the T-shirt quilt idea but, instead of T-shirts I was thinking about using those Printable Fabric sheets.

If you have used them, please let me know your opinions? What brand? what fabric content? Any special computer ink needed? Any special sewing techniques to join? Any special treaments needed to keep photos from fading due to washing?

Thanking you in advance for your responses.

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

Read the package is the best advice I can give.  You want the ones that are actual fabric, not iron on.  Also, there are dry clean only ones or machine washable.  Follow the instructions listed because each one is a little different.  Even though they are washable, don't use detergent when you wash and don't wash often or they will eventually fade.  But with proper care, photographs on quilts are a great way to personalize them. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,388 Posts
Points 37,625
Linda replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 10:21 PM

I have purchased the chemicals and make my own. The ones I have bought in the store have always faded. Whereas the ones I make with the chemicals last longer and the colors come out better. I use old sheets that I pick up at the Goodwill. It takes time and the chemicals are expensive, but they last forever. I can't begin to tell you how many labels I've made from my initial purchase several years ago. It isn't hard to make the fabric, just a little time consuming. I think they print far better than the store bought ones. Everytime I'm in a hurry and buy the ones from the store, I regret it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,400
Renee replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 6:26 AM

Linda,

Would you be willing to walk me through the process?

I am quite sure the only thing I have is the sheet and the printer at the moment, so a supplies list would be great.

Have you thought about making a You Tube tutorial of this process, I think some of the quilters guilds and other quilt organizations would be interested.

Thanks,

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,449 Posts
Points 47,720

I was not aware that ot could be done at home. Yes I would like to know what is needed and how to proceed.  I always wanted to do one for my parents, but the transfer fabrics I have bought did not leave me happy with the results.  So if there is a better way, I would be grateful to have the opportunity to learn.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,388 Posts
Points 37,625
Linda replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 7:23 AM

Renee:

Linda,

Would you be willing to walk me through the process?

I am quite sure the only thing I have is the sheet and the printer at the moment, so a supplies list would be great.

Have you thought about making a You Tube tutorial of this process, I think some of the quilters guilds and other quilt organizations would be interested.

Thanks,

Renee,

I'm not a You Tube kind of gal. Since my accident I loose my train of thought easily. But  all you need are the 2 bottles of chemicals and they come with instructions that are so ridiculously easy. Here's the website.... www.cjenkinscompany.com  You need the Bubble Jet Set & Rinse. Buy them together and you will receive (50) freezer paper sheets with it. Seems to me I paid something like $50 or $60. But they have lasted maybe 4 or 5 years so far. I still have almost a full bottle of the rinse and 1/4 bottle of the set. So it does go a long, long way. I will be willing to give you my phone number in a private message in case you run into a problem. Then I can talk you through any problems. But if I can do it, I'm sure you can too. I make labels for my quilt guild and all of my labels. In one morning I can make probably 50 sheets. Like I said before I go to Goodwill and get white or light cream sheets on their sale days for maybe 50 cents to $1. Just make sure they don't have any stains and that they are not polyester. I wash them real good in hot water before I start.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

Here is a link that may help.   Just Google bubble jet set and find other sites.

http://www.bryerpatch.com/faq/bjs_q&a_page.htm

It really isn't hard.  I've used this method, too.  Just follow the directions.

It  looks like Walmart sells it now!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bubble-Jet-Set-2000-Fabric-Printing-Solution-32-oz/17337937

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,388 Posts
Points 37,625
Linda replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 6:44 PM

Seriously Walmart sells it now too?

Top 200 Contributor
Female
348 Posts
Points 27,220

Renee, I have used the purchased sheets and had success.

I will agree with what Jeanine said about reading the labels and following the instructions.

I have pondered using the chemicals and now that I see Walmart sells, I may pursue this.  I really think about it before I use them because of the cost.  The ones I purchased came from JoAnn's and were in a pink package.  I purchased with my 50% off coupon so it wasn't as bad but still treating your own fabric would be a better option.

Good luck with  your project.  Hope you will post pictures when it is done.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 100 Contributor
Female
936 Posts
Points 15,850

I guess I need to try the chemicals again - I did about 7-8 years ago and was not happy with the finished project.  Therefore, I started using the Printed Treasures sheets(I think that is the right name, I am not home to check that) and have made lots of labels and 4 photo quilts and was happy with them. I did try another brand also and was not happy with them.

The 5th one is quilted and off the machine but I have tons of threads to bury.  There are 77 photos and 2 different stories on this one so there were lots of stop and starts in doing the SID.

As soon as I get home, this takes priority as it has to be done by Saturday, the 16rh.

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 15

My  favorite brand is EQ Printables  (Electric Quilt) Cotton Lawn fabric

Mary Beth

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 15

My  favorite brand is EQ Printables  (Electric Quilt) Cotton Lawn fabric

Mary Beth

Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 5,400
Renee replied on Sun, Jun 10 2012 8:57 AM

Ladies,

Thank you for all your wonderful information.  I did find the bubble set jet at walmart, you have to order it online and have it sent to your local store for pick up.

Also found numerous blogs and tutorial that will help you get the best results from the products. I have to find it again, but one person did numerous test using different printers and she also emailed the company for help with the products.

The cost is not bad, for both products at Wal-Mart  $24.00.

This project is on my ever growing list.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,951 Posts
Points 368,307
Kris replied on Sun, Jun 10 2012 5:37 PM

Renee,

I used the Bubblejet Set products to make an anniversary quilt for my DH's grandparents a few years back. It worked really well. I used Kona cotton white to print my photos. The quilt has been washed numerous times and the photos have not faded.

C Jenkins has a lot of great tips on her site. I think she's the one you're talking about.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,388 Posts
Points 37,625
Linda replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 12:32 PM

Kris:

Renee,

I used the Bubblejet Set products to make an anniversary quilt for my DH's grandparents a few years back. It worked really well. I used Kona cotton white to print my photos. The quilt has been washed numerous times and the photos have not faded.

C Jenkins has a lot of great tips on her site. I think she's the one you're talking about.

Sorry I haven't kept up with this subject. C. Jenkins is the site I used and the site I originally purchased from. Good luck with you project.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use