hand quilting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
122 Posts
Points 2,165
Sherry posted on Sat, Jun 2 2012 8:56 AM

I want to teach myself how to hand quilt. Figured small quilts would be the easiest format and have done one. But it was poke and pull. I watched someone years ago and she put the needle thru several times before pulling it all the way thru. Any suggestions on learning this technique?

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 9:35 AM

Sheri

Go to the groups section and check out the Hand Quilting and Hand Piecing group.  You may find some good tips.   Also try youtube.  There are several videos on hand quilting.   Good luck and have fun.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,780
Lindy replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 9:52 AM

I hand quilt a lot, I found the needles that work best are BIG EYE - Quilting - JJ125
John James Size 10.  They are stronger needles and don't bend like the ones from wal-mart the sewing store I go to has them, but I have heard from other people that they have found them places like Joann's store. I have also heard good things about Roxanne needles I have never tried these but like I said other people have said really good things about these also. I would do a small quilt first that way you can practice on making your stitches smaller. I have still have a hard time with that since I have only been doing it for less then a year know. I also buy stencils now to put on my quilts or use my quilting book that has them, you can also make your own if you find a pattern you like online. I can't do this know but I have been planing on doing it if I can find a good burner. I will say the quilt pounce (http://www.fulllinestencil.com/prod01.htm) is good and washes out. I would careful when marking your quilt, I know that when I have used blue ink that it didn't all wash out. I use chalk pencils right know that seem to do better. Hope this helps.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
122 Posts
Points 2,165
Sherry replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 11:52 AM

thanks for the tips. will look for the needles. i haven't been able to figure out how to go to groups at this site, but i will try utube.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 2:26 PM

Sheri

Go here   Hand Piecing &/or Hand...     

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
371 Posts
Points 6,495

Nana;  don't you find it very hard to do sewing by hand.  I just can't get into it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,106 Posts
Points 410,839
gini replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 4:23 PM

sheri, i taught myself to quilt.  it doesn't take long to get the hang of rocking the needle to get all the stitches on the needle. make sure you have good needles and you're all set.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

I enjoy hand quilting but I do it in my lap.  I just can't get used to using a hoop.  It takes practice to get good stitches.

Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,780
Lindy replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 10:12 PM

Sometimes, I have hard time with my hands swelling up if I do it a long time but I have gotten better as the time goes on. But, I have to stop from time to time so they don't get to sore.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 10:38 PM

Arzella

When I first started quilting I didn't like doing any type of handwork.   Now I love it and have hand quilted a wallhanging and a queen size quilt.   I have also gotten into doing hand applique.  Never thought I would do either of these when I first started into the wonderful world of quilting.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Jun 2 2012 10:39 PM

Sheri A

I haven't been able to get the hang of using a hoop or a frame either.  I do my hand quilting with the quilt in my lap.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use