rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 1:56 PM

Sandy

Your quilt is very pretty.  I like the secondary pattern and really like the bright , cheerful colors.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 3:20 PM

Thanks Nana.  I really like these fabrics too and that's the only reason I finished this quilt.  Otherwise it would be a UFO!

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 3:21 PM

jay-marie:
I thought you said "The lively Lettuce Patter" dancing lettuce maybe LOL.

Oh no ... now I have visions of heads of lettuce dancing and singing!  LOL

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,038
Points 369,072
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 10:56 PM

Sandy,

I really like your quilt.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:20 PM

Sandy

Maybe Dancing Lettuce will be your next amazing quilt.   I can almost see it now.......

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,709
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 12:36 AM

Sandy H.:
Oh no ... now I have visions of heads of lettuce dancing and singing!  LOL

did it inspire you yet to try again?!  Love it!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 127
Points 5,312
LadyRags replied on Wed, Jan 20 2010 5:21 AM

I put this in my WASTE NOT WANT NOT category of quilting....

I like the technique but I do not do the FUN AND DONE patterns... I use this method to stitch my practice batts together when I am trialing new patterns... and I often use this technique with orphan blocks. crumb and string blocks,   blotto blocks, block exchanges, practice pieces, etc. I cut my background one inch larger, cut the back to fit the blocks,  sandwich them together and machine quilt ... (I sometime baste the edges down)   I then proceed using the FUN AND DONE techniques to put them together. 

I have a lot of SOFA THROWS and cabin quilts using this technique.  Great method for all the utility quilts,  baby quilts I give away... AND to practice my domestic machine quilting.

Fun and Done is similar to the BETTY COTTON method but easier because the blocks are more precisely fitted and you have less bulk to work with.   I also like to trial my fancy stitches on the sashing, rather then do

I would not use the technique for prize winning quilts but it has it place.

I use my zipper foot to sew the blocks together that makes the procedure easier and with better results.   I also mark my template positions on the wrong side of the fabric. So I know where to stitch where it should end up straight and square... work MOST times for me.

Long-armers poo poo this technique because it takes away business from them.   Domestic machine quilting and Fun and Done technique mean less quilting jobs for them. If you have your own long arm you would not need to do this technique but for those who do not it can be a great way to get some projects done.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Sandy--

I think your quilt looks great and I'm sure your niece will love it.  Sorry it wasn't fun for you.

Kissimmee, FL

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use