Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 649
Points 12,665
msplantladi Posted: Wed, Dec 23 2009 7:46 AM

I found this interesting, has anyone else tried it?

https://www.baysidequilting.com/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=284

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Wed, Dec 23 2009 8:25 AM

Dee, I like the woven wonder pattern. I did a strip quilt similar to this years ago, only I put sashing down all the rows. You might also be interested in the cotton theory quilting. I saw a video of hers (Betty Cotton) on sewing with Nancy, I think on QNNTV? . She does beautiful quilts ising this method. She also has books out called Cotton Theory Quilting. My only holdup is the fold and iron thing to get all the fold over seams even.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,826
Points 43,869
Eileen replied on Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:20 AM

Thanks for sharing, Dee. I'd heard of "quilt as you go" but this looks like fun and a good way to finish a quilt quickly.  It does limit the quilting style but also eliminates the bulk if quilting by machine without a frame.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,754
gini replied on Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:44 AM

dee thanks for the link to bayside quilting.    that's is a lot easier than the quilt as you go technique that i learned.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 649
Points 12,665

Stephanie i do have the cotton theory bookmarked to read later...I will have to go back i think I saw the same video.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,600
Points 48,465

Dee - that is interesting. I had hear of similar ways to make a quilt, but this produces a neater, more finished look. Might have to ad this to my list of future projects. LOL, just what I need.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,593
Points 392,267
Kris replied on Wed, Dec 23 2009 6:44 PM

The LQS featured this earlier this year. They had a dispaly set up and offered classes during the summer. I first saw it on QNNtv but haven't tried it yet.

It does look like a better way to quilt-as-you-go.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Wed, Dec 23 2009 6:47 PM

Dee

Neat technique...I may have to try this...much simpler than the previous quilt as you go that I have done.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,556

Using the Lively Lattice pattern, I took a class on this technique last September.  It is NOT done yet and I have not found it to be fun. 

Making the blocks is simple enough ... basically you sew the pieces to a backing and batting square like foundation or paper piecing.  The "not fun" part starts when you sew the blocks together.   You have to stitch the blocks together back to back by sewing along the edge of the top/batting.  Of course you can't see the edge on the back block.  Once you sew them all together in rows you then take the seam allowances (about 1"), fold them under and stitch down to make the sashing between the blocks.  You then sew all the rows together, fold the seam allowances and stitch.  You have to make sure that all of your seam allowances are stitched to the same size or your "sashing" will not be straight.

What you end up with is a quilt that is pretty much "stitch in the ditch" which, for me, could be a lot more easily achieved by just making the top and quilting it.  I have all my blocks sewn into rows and 3 rows combined.  I have 3  more rows and the binding (which is also folded under and stitched).  If I didn't like the fabric so much, this is one that would probably end up in the UFO pile.  But, I am determined to finish it and I will post a pic when done.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583

Sandy H.:
The "not fun" part starts when you sew the blocks together.   You have to stitch the blocks together back to back by sewing along the edge of the top/batting.  Of course you can't see the edge on the back block.  Once you sew them all together in rows you then take the seam allowances (about 1"), fold them under and stitch down to make the sashing between the blocks.  You then sew all the rows together, fold the seam allowances and stitch.  You have to make sure that all of your seam allowances are stitched to the same size or your "sashing" will not be straight.

Sandy, This is what backed me off doing this. When I did something similar to this years ago on my own, I zig zagged my blocks together and sewed sashing strips down and across all of the seams and it was a pain in the rear too, because I had to do the front and back at the same time. The front looked ok but the back, where I tried to match the sashing up to front and back at the same time looked wonky. I admire people like Betty Cotton that can make this work, but I think I'd rather stick to tradition in this area. Maybe smaller items like table runners, but quilts, no thanks......

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,593
Points 392,267
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:34 PM

Thanks for the review Sandy. Guess I definitely pass on this technique.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,556
Sandy H. replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 10:47 AM

Ok, it is finally done.  This is one technique I will not try again.  At the quilt show I went to a couple of weeks ago, many of the vendors were offering these patterns and some had sample quilts.  All of them looked very similar even if the patterns were different.  I may give this one to my 13 yr old niece as she likes the bright, funky colors.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,338
Points 249,992
Thea replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:38 AM

Sandy, It looks good - and I do agree with you - no fun to put this kind together - I like the Seams So Easy that I made last year withthe  Fons and Porter pattern much better.  I have always felt these were way harder then putting them together and stitching in the ditch afterwards - but she was trying to make it easier for those who don't want o sew a whole quilt under there sewing machine... I find that easier!!! 

Your quilt looks fantastic though and whomever you give it to will love it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,914
Points 420,754
gini replied on Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:31 PM

sandy congrats on finishing it, even if you didn't like the techinique. it's a really fun quilt, a 13 year old girl will love it.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720

Sandy

I bet your niece will love this. In your last post I thought you said "The lively Lettuce Patter" dancing lettuce maybe LOL.

Hampshire, England

• | Post Points: 20
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.