Top 10 Posters

I botched up my embroidery applique....not sure how I did this but any suggestions on how to hide it???

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
Denise (denilyn) posted on Sun, May 27 2012 8:56 PM
I practiced several times on scrap and it looked great...then I did it on the quilt top and noticed afterwards on both that they appear to have a stretched look of the background material in a few spots...geesh. I will upload pictures...hopefully it will show up. I was wondering too how I should quilt this...maybe echo quilting around the appliqued areas??? Thanks so much for input on this....very upset over this but I refuse to tear it out...would probably destroy the fabric trying to.
  • | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
Well I thought I was going to upload pictures but seem to be having problems with that...will figure it out and get it up as soon as possible.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
I give...I made several attempts to upload the photos to this and I cannot get it to go. I did get them in the gallery though if anyone would care to look and give an opinion on how I might be able to hide those marks...thinking echo quilting might hide it???
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, May 27 2012 9:52 PM

Denise

Echo quilting should help.  I don't think they are as noticable as I feel sure that you do.   In the future use a heavy stabilizer on the back and a thinner one on the top.  I usually use a heavy tear away on the back and a wash away on the top.  It helps keep the foundation fabric from stretching.   Your appliques are beautiful.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
Thanks...my first try on a quilt...I have done towels before and you know I didn't think about using a wash away on top, I bet that would have helped. I was disappointed when I saw that. This is for my granddaughter whose theme for her bedroom is garden. I let her pick out fabrics and she wanted bright and cheerful. Again, thanks so much. I thought maybe echo quilting would hide it. My husband said it is not as bad as I think it is. :-)
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,062 Posts
Points 29,135
Ramona replied on Sun, May 27 2012 10:01 PM

Denise,

Your quilt is beautiful!! Such bright colors would cheer up any room. Great job on this.  I also don't feel it's going to be that noticable once the top is quilted.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,416 Posts
Points 47,255
Angele replied on Mon, May 28 2012 7:19 AM

Denise your quilt is beautiful and your granddaughter will have wonderful dreams with that on her bed.  A friend of mine says that you should look at it from at least six feet away.  From there you will look at the overall beauty and not the niggling details. I also think that once it is quilted you and your granddaughter will hardly notice it.  Of course you will always know where they are because you made it, but I don't think anyone else will see what you see.  After all it is beautiful.  I hope we will see some pictures when you have it all quilted.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

I love your quilt. It's beautiful. Your grand daughter will love it too. I'm sure she will never see it the way you do. I agree with everyone's input. If you're looking at it from a galloping horse, you cannot see it. I've heard the 6 feet away idea also. I hope to see it again once you have it quilted and finished.  Great Job!!!

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,212 Posts
Points 24,505

Do not worry about the background, when you quilt it you can ease in all the fullness.  And after washing it will not show at all.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Denise your quilt is beautiful , Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,422 Posts
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Mon, May 28 2012 6:46 PM

Stunning, I love the colors!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use