rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 350
Rachell Posted: Sat, May 26 2012 10:53 PM

hi everyone,

I'm relatively new. I'm looking to find new friends that share my love of quilting!  I live in a smaller, suburban -growing- from-farming- community at the south end of a busy valley. I live practically at the mouth of a small canyon myself! I love my little Bernina. I really want a longarm !

I just finished a quilt....my first one that I got up the nerve to free-motion quilt!

I'm curious....after participating in the Quiltmaker 100 Blocks Blog Tour for the second time a few weeks ago, I really want to start my own quilting blog. I already have a private blog for family stuff.  I don't know if I'll someday want to have my own business or not, or if I'll be good enough at freemotion quilting or designing to want to start my own business (and that would probably mean I'll have to own a longarm machine). Mostly I'm at the point right now, that I'm not super fast, but I do complete projects and I'm proud of them, and I want to journal/diary what I do.

I just am trying to think of good ideas for my blog name. Do you think I ought to worry about a "business name" when I think one up?  And I have no idea how to go about setting one up....with all the design bells and whistles, like menus, inserting links, those fun quilt symbols when people post comments, all sorts of stuff.  Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Rachell

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,041
Points 369,102
Kris replied on Sun, May 27 2012 9:17 AM

Welcome to the group Rachell.

I can't help you get a blog started but I think you should get a "business name" since you're headed in that direction. Might make it easier if your blog and business had the same name. 

Depending on where you start your blog (Blogher seems to be quite popular) there should be instructions on how to get the bells and whistles in your blog. 

Good luck on your journey.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sun, May 27 2012 11:28 AM

Rachel

Welcome to the site.  I hope you enjoy your time with us.  We love chatting and all things quilting.

I don't know anything about blogs so I really can't help you with that problem but I wish you luck in all you do.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to the group Rachell.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Welcome to the site Rachel.  A lot of the gals here have blogs (not me) so I think you will probably be getting some help soon from them.  Kris is pretty knowledgeable on the "techy" sort of questions that come up so I would venture to guess that the advice she posted is pretty good! 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,025
Points 16,160
Judy Lee replied on Sun, May 27 2012 5:42 PM

Welcome Rachell!

Judylee

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 1,245
DebBee replied on Wed, May 30 2012 6:32 PM

Welcome Rachell!  I too am a new comer to this site and am sure we will learn many things.  I am currently teaching myself about how to Blog.  I am using the Wordpress.com site, so maybe that is one place you could check out.

DebBee

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 350
Rachell replied on Sun, Jun 3 2012 12:18 AM

hi Everyone!

DebBee, I already have a private Blogger (Google) blog for my family, and it looks like I can have more than one blog with different privacy settings for each, on the Blogger, so I'll probably be using that.

The hardest part for me in my quest for a quilting blog, I think, is coming up with a name that represents me. I'm a mom, a firefighter's wife (and I also work in the Emergency Room doing registration). I graduated in Home Economics and Spanish Education, so I love to teach, and enjoy all the areas of my education. Some of the designs I love?  Celtic designs and knots, stars of all types, sampler quilts.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Rachell

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Jun 6 2012 9:21 AM

Welcome Rachell.  This is a great site.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,117
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Wed, Jun 6 2012 3:57 PM

Rachell,

Welcome aboard! Glad you decided to join us. As for a blog, never done one so I can't offer any assistance there.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 350
Rachell replied on Sat, Jul 21 2012 11:45 AM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for a warm welcome.

I'm still working on my blog and designing and getting it set up, but here it is: claddaghsquiltsandstars.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Rachell, Utah

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 371
Points 6,725

Welcome Rachell

Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,842
Points 248,959
Barbara replied on Sat, Jul 21 2012 6:42 PM

Welcome Rachell. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 755

Welcome Rachell

Sheryl

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 1:58 AM

hi rachel welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use