Ideas needed for quick and inexpensive quilt

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 12 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy posted on Wed, May 23 2012 9:56 AM

My niece is very sick and will be undergoing a bone marrow transplant on June 27th. I would like to make her a quilt but don't have a lot of money to buy fabric or time to complete the quilt. I am thinking a lap quilt will be perfect as she can take it to the hospital with her. She loves the ocean and Orca's. Any ideas?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 150 Contributor
Female
642 Posts
Points 16,275
Answered (Verified) Zsofia replied on Wed, May 23 2012 4:13 PM
Verified by Joy

Joy:

My niece is very sick and will be undergoing a bone marrow transplant on June 27th. I would like to make her a quilt but don't have a lot of money to buy fabric or time to complete the quilt. I am thinking a lap quilt will be perfect as she can take it to the hospital with her. She loves the ocean and Orca's. Any ideas?

Hi Joy - I have an "offer" for you. I have two UFO's sitting around and wondered if you would like one of them. One is the "brilliant sunset" and the other one is the "MQV" you can check them out in my gallery. I made them as gift ideas(for Christmas) but didn't finish them yet... They are just quilt tops so you need batting and backing and needs to be quilted... I used batiks in the "brilliant sunset" and batiks and Kaffe Fassett in the MQV. They are not ocean themed as you see ;)...   Let me know if you are interested.

Zsofia

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,552 Posts
Points 245,982
Thea replied on Wed, May 23 2012 9:59 AM

Joy - you can get fabric at Eleanor Burns place - Quiltinaday.com and get it for fairly cheap - $3 a yard for a lot of it and her shipping is minimal - it gets to you in about 2 days... then I would say make a 9 patch - a quick and easy quilt that your niece will be able to cuddle with while she is recovering... 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, May 23 2012 10:01 AM

I will check quilt in a day. I love that store. I should also add my niece is 24.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
636 Posts
Points 9,445

This is a full sized quilt using 16 fat quarters.  It could be done with two or three fabrics as well.  You can tweek it down and square it up if necessary.  These are large pieces that come together quickly.  If you have any questions on the instruction, let me know.  This was kind of done on the fly.  Check the Media section of the fabric swap group for an example of how it turns out.

THE DOUBLE DIAMOND

Easy quilt pattern in the world.  Works well with single color pallet.

Take 16 fat quarters in varying patterns (can use duplicates). Makes Full size quilt.

Even them all to the same rectangular size.

Pick the two lightest for A and B.

The Six mid tones will be C - H

Pick the Eight darkest for I – P

Cut A diagonally, cut B Diangonally to the opposite corners from A (very important since we are working with rectangles, not squares)

Cut pairs C and D, E and F, G and H, K and L, M and N the same way as A and B.

If you have duplicate fabrics try to lay them out to get as opposite and mirrored an image as possible.

Sew your triangles together in rectangels, then into groups of two, then four, then eight and both halves.

DONE IN A DAY.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
636 Posts
Points 9,445

I would also suggest a center of white, then a black diamond, then a blue.  Whale in the water.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, May 23 2012 10:19 AM

Wow Maggie that's  a really neat idea!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,529 Posts
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Wed, May 23 2012 10:26 AM

Joy, I love Maggie's idea!  There is also the Jelly Roll quilt.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Wed, May 23 2012 10:33 AM

Marie:
There is also the Jelly Roll quilt.

The Jelly roll race/1600 quilt is very quick. It just takes 1 jellyroll for the top and you can sew it 2 hrs or less.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,529 Posts
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Wed, May 23 2012 2:14 PM

Jacy:
The Jelly roll race/1600 quilt

Jacy, thanks for the correction on the Jelly Roll quilts name.

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
642 Posts
Points 16,275
Answered (Verified) Zsofia replied on Wed, May 23 2012 4:13 PM
Verified by Joy

Joy:

Hi Joy - I have an "offer" for you. I have two UFO's sitting around and wondered if you would like one of them. One is the "brilliant sunset" and the other one is the "MQV" you can check them out in my gallery. I made them as gift ideas(for Christmas) but didn't finish them yet... They are just quilt tops so you need batting and backing and needs to be quilted... I used batiks in the "brilliant sunset" and batiks and Kaffe Fassett in the MQV. They are not ocean themed as you see ;)...   Let me know if you are interested.

Zsofia

• | Post Points: 25
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 265

MaggieNae,

Thanks for sharing this great quilt idea! 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,115 Posts
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Thu, May 24 2012 3:16 PM

Joy,

Here is another one that you could cut and use a solid alternate block to make your quilt larger or buy two panels. http://www.beverlys.com/north-american-wildlife-ocean-2.html

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use