Paducah here we come!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
22 Posts
Points 530
BenAdmin posted on Tue, May 22 2012 10:50 PM

My good friend and I have decided that next year is the year we're heading for Paducah.  We are the sort that plan way ahead (obviously), and wondered if those of you who have attended the show offer anything in terms of suggestions for best places to stay ? Would it be necessary at all to rent a car ?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be welcome too!

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Caro sound like a fun time, never been myself,so can't give you any tips other then bring lots of extra bags to put you goodies in . look up hotels on the web that are close and book ahead of time as rooms fill up fast ,and unless you are driving in, Yes I'd rent a car. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, May 23 2012 7:57 AM

CaroQuilts:

My good friend and I have decided that next year is the year we're heading for Paducah.  We are the sort that plan way ahead (obviously), and wondered if those of you who have attended the show offer anything in terms of suggestions for best places to stay ? Would it be necessary at all to rent a car ?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be welcome too!

Caro there is so much to see and do in Paducah you will want to rent a car as everything is pretty spread out. I would stay in Metropolis, IL which is only 15 minutes from Paducah and so much cheaper. At least that was the case when my DH and I went.

They have some of the most breathtaking murals downtown Paducah! A must see! And don't forget to visit Quilt in a Day, also in Pudacah. I was very pleased with the low prices and friendly people!

Hancock's of Paducah is also a neat store. It huge! But as a bargain shopper, I didn't too many great deals.

This is a great trip! Enjoy!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
22 Posts
Points 530

Thank you both for the input.  Its good to know from someone who's been there!

Anyone else who'd like to add?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Make sure you allow yourselves enough time to visit the museum in addition to the show!  I talked to a friend who went recently, and she said the museum was incredible!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,473 Posts
Points 24,140

I've never been to the Quilt Show, but I have been to Paducah. The museum is awesome, as Nancy says. And the murals on the wall by the river is a sight to behold. they are way beautiful. The river park is the nicest I have seen in any town. So peaceful to walk by.

Not Ranked
Female
21 Posts
Points 420

CaroQuilts

I went to Paducah the year the the river flooded - my comment to them was that they may have been better off to cancel it, everything was in makeshift space because the Convention center was on the other side of the flood walls.  HOWEVER, I had always wanted to go  - the classes were good and they did have great instructors, the display or Expo area was full of interesting exhibits and demonstrations.  Quilt of the Day has a shop downtown as well as a big sale tent north of town,  

I stayed at the KOA just outside of town, and having tornadoes in the area made it quite exciting, but I LOVE it, stayed in a dry cabin.  The low price gave me more change to spend on fabric - I did have a car and can't imagine being in Paducah without one.  As others have said, everything is pretty spread out - even when they do use the Convention center (everything was REALLY spread out when I was there).  

It was fun - but now that I have done it, not sure I would go back.  

Have a great time!!

Sewonforever

• Filed under:
Not Ranked
Female
45 Posts
Points 765
Pat replied on Thu, May 24 2012 1:34 PM

My husband and I went last year - just in time for the flood, but it didn't stop me from spending way to much.  Eleanor Burns puts on a wonderful show and her tent sales are fabulous..  I would highly recommend having a car as everything is spread out throughtout the town.  Even with the flood, I would like to give credit to the volunteers who put everything together in less than a day.  They arranged buses to get you from one place to another.  The classes were wonderful and we also went to the Ricky Timms show. 

Have fun, take extra bags for carrying all of your goodies, and a couple of credit cards!

Pat

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use