Top 10 Posters

Does your family think quilting is a waste of time....

Page 5 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 84 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,620
Points 24,755
Susie replied on Tue, May 29 2012 3:59 PM

Sheila L--I will have to take a picture of three of the fabrics.  I have a plan for them, but I need to get the right shade of turquoise and red to go along with the prints.  I think it's going to be fabulous, but we'll see.  They were just calling my name crying for my attention.  (Yep...told my kids that one, too.  They just think I'm nuts.)

Funny thing is...all of them are asking me when they are going to get a quilt.  I tell them that when I have something in my stash they like, I'll make their quilt.  Apparently, the fabrics calling my name aren't calling theirs, lol!

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,725
Points 419,764
gini replied on Wed, May 30 2012 2:03 PM

the ladder stitch is also used on the binding, when you are doing the last edge by hand.   it is more invisible than the blind stitch.

my mom and i have competition cob webs.  we pick a corner to let them grow and have a running dialog on who's winning.  

i had a funnel spider here in the stairwell in the office.  it was a very cool web.   i managed to not step on it for over a year.   then the princess came for a visit, had some spare time and cleaned it off.   i noticed first thing when i went down the stairs that it was missing, and i went "Anna, where's my spider". she got a  stricken look on her face and said, 'but gramma, i thought it was dirt".  poor kid, she was very sad she had ousted my favorite spider.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,492
Points 39,285
Linda replied on Wed, May 30 2012 2:19 PM

My financial advisor recently told me I had to cut back on my spending. You should  have seen the horror on my face!!  My spending on credit cards consists of co-pays for doctors, and fabric. I'd gladly give up the co-pays, but fabric....never!!! I asked him how was I ever going to continue quilting. It's about the only activity the doctors haven't taken away from me? After meeting with Peter, I came home and stocked up on thread from Connecting Threads and ordered a ton of fabric from the sale section. Oh did Connecting Threads love me that day!!!!! Then Peter called me and clarified that I couldn't keep ordering every week like I had been. I just need to cut back. I asked his definition of cutting back and compared it to my definition...they don't agree naturally. Then he said I have to seriously cut back on my budget, I told him I've cut back every where I could, but I can't cut my fabric budget....there's never been a budget and there never will be a budget. What doesn't he understand? I understand completely...where fabric is concerned....NO BUDGET!!!!! So there. Quilting will not be taken away from me...no how, no way....just try it....you won't win this one!!

Have a very nice quilty day everyone.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 9,710
MaggieNae replied on Wed, May 30 2012 2:47 PM

And how much does your financial advisor bill you for this advice, hummm?  I know it's hard to control the amount of fabrics and sewing accessories we accumulate, but you could make a deal with yourself.  Use only half new fabric and half stash for new projects.  Or, you could sell your quilts on a site like Ebay and use only the profits from that to support your habit.  That is if you have the time to manage something like that.  Just an idea.  No one wants to see you give up your quilting.  Just the thought of it seems to have upset you greatly.  I'm going to start a petition to get fabric covered by my HMO as part of a mental health maintance program. 

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 555
Sheila L. replied on Wed, May 30 2012 3:49 PM

Linda:  I'm so sorry that your financial planner is not a quilter and doesn't understand just how important it is to our existence!  My sister puts photos of her quilts on Facebook and has sold several that way.  We also put some out on display at a Garage Sale and sold one and got orders for more. (Remember though,if you do put them out at a Garage Sale, don't  price  them at garage-sale prices) Put a price 6hat you profit from.  I like the other idea of using 1/2 from your stash for each project. also. Good luck to you,

Sheila L

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,492
Points 39,285
Linda replied on Wed, May 30 2012 3:51 PM

He doesn't charge me anything. He's actually a good friend from Thrivent (a Lutheran financial agency) and has handled my finances since my accident. He understands what my sewing means to me, but he is serious that I have to make cut backs somewhere. My settlement money isn't going to last forever. I had a huge sewer repair last fall that cost $$ and took a huge chunk unexpectantly that I could not afford. I've  had to make a lot of cut backs. But we have made some jokes back and forth about my quilting/sewing spending habits. Unfortunately, because I'm on full disability, I cannot make any extra money or my disability will be taken away from me. I make the maximum allowed by the government.  That has been made very clear to me...believe me. All my quilts are either given to family and friends or charity...none are sold.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,492
Points 39,285
Linda replied on Wed, May 30 2012 3:53 PM

PS. Thanks for the suggestions tho.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 1,455
pat replied on Fri, Jun 1 2012 3:11 AM

i am actually very surprised at my family,they have been more then supportive with me learning to quilt,in fact my DH is always looking for me material and supplies and my adult son has been more then helpful with my sewing building,of course i owe most of my thanks to my mentor and sister who really started me out getting interested in something besides my aches and pains.now i have my stereo in my building and prefer to spend all my time out there ,i'll have to reorganize my schedule to do my housework early in the mornings(not my fav thing as my sis can attest to) but other then dr.appts' and just my and DH dr.appts. and of course checking out fb once a day i have plenty of time for sewing,as my sis told me,JUST HAVE FUN WITH IT

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 186
Points 2,765

I live alone with my dog. The first thing he does when he comes in the house is run upstairs and sit by my sewing room door. He's smart , the treats are all in there. lol. For a long time I didn't let anyone come to my house because I was so busy working on quilts I didn't clean much and there is a lot of clutter [ which I hate] but never find time to deal with. But a couple of my friends said that they come to see me not my house so I let them. I am now teaching them to quilt. I love it , and  both are hooked , one severely so [ she wanted everything I had in my room] . She also purchased for both of us a block of the month quilt from Keepsake quilting  " Bella Garden" .Its applique you have to see to believe. We both fell in love when we saw it. She just doesn't know how much work is in store for her. lol. I guess I should go sweep up the dog hair or something..........And no I don't have a budget...when I run out of money I'll take my fabric  to  the street with me and sew by hand. Were there is a will there is a way.!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,725
Points 419,764
gini replied on Sat, Jun 9 2012 3:05 PM

Great philosophy Betty, I'll come sew on the street with you

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,272
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 11:34 AM

betty.tolliver@yahoo.com:
..........And no I don't have a budget...when I run out of money I'll take my fabric  to  the street with me and sew by hand. Were there is a will there is a way.!

Betty, you can come share a room at the poor house with Mars and me.   We have been on our way for the past couple of years. 

Also to add to the discussion my DH has always been supportive, as he likes to tell me I am a lucky woman. 

Granny M

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 12:03 PM

Mine to, although I am trying to figure the "lucky" part as I have worked and paid for my own shopping always and he has had boats and planes to play with.  Not exactly cheap and he didn't do it alone.  so I guess he's lucky too.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,220
kim replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 6:52 AM

I am very blessed. My family definitely suports my habit. My Dh will make sure I get one of my days off to just sew and he helps me with my house work so we both have time to do what we want. If there is a fabric purchase I want to make, I make sure it is budgeted accordingly or I pick up some extra overtime to cover it. Anything over my regular pay goes to my quilting, DS's hockey or other fun stuff like our annual visit to Cedar Point Amusment park with DS and my Mom (DH doesn't like to go).

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 925
rshatto replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 8:28 AM

My boyfriend gets upset when I want to quilt. But I dont have much time to do it, I work full time. I take my vacation days on rainy days to stay home and quilt while he is working, He has Fridays off. I hardly ever take them off, or else he would feel like I was pushing him aside to sew.  I just got my first long arm machine.. He may never see me now.. Haha... It takes me a long time to do a quilt, things are all over my dining room table until I get everything cut out.  I have been doing a chrismas applique quilt and instead of cutting everything out at once, I have been cutting as I need them... I think I will do it differently next time.. I am almost done, so I should have the dining table again soon..  Raleigh quilt show is coming in a couple weeks. I have my ticket already, hope to find some new ideas.. 

Well off to sew and maybe play with the long arm, practing on that.. What a wonderful rainy day to be at home... Love it.

Robin 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,213
Points 253,449
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 9:15 AM

Robin, I'd tell the boyfriend that quilting is part of you and if he wants to be with you he has to take that part of you as well. but do it gently .LOL  Good luck Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 5 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use