Top 10 Posters

Does your family think quilting is a waste of time....

Page 4 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 84 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 407
Points 28,125
Darlene replied on Sat, May 26 2012 11:19 PM

MizPat:
Check out a site called FLYLady.com.

MizPat, went to this site and it is amazing.  I have signed up for the daily e-mails and think I should go clean my sink.

Anyone interested in what this means should check it out.

Thanks for the info.  I hope this helps me to FLY!

Darlene

from Western New York

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 555
Sheila L. replied on Mon, May 28 2012 5:01 AM

Wow!  It is interesting that often our family or those closest to us don't appreciate what we do.  When my girls were growing up I had a small business and had to tell them again and again that phone messages were IMPORTANT.  Neither one was interested in sewing (back then I made clothes).  When my youngest was recovering from knee surgery , married but before- children), she asked me to show her how to quilt. She wanted to make one for a wedding gift.  We made an all-white king size quilt, hand quilted with rows of hand crochet. It was wonderful to share this time, even though she hasn't had time to do any more. She now has 2 children and 4 foster boys, so there isn't much time for such things.  As to being criticized for quilting...nonsense!! My quilting friends brag; yes, brag about having ANTIQUE DUST in their houses.  I have never been a great housekeeper, and my mother was not only a neat freak but a clean freak...I'd rather spend time with my family, friends and quilting. At my funeral, I don't want people to say "she had a tidy house" - but rather "she LOVED fabric and quilting, and danced through life"!!!!!  

Forget the dust, QUILT !

Sheila L.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,209
Points 253,384
Barbara replied on Tue, May 29 2012 8:27 AM

I just want to tell all of you that this is a fantastic thread , I've learned some really interesting things about my quilting sisters and you are all amazing. To OK MOM ,I to live in a older home (built in the 1900)  and I have no storage , My fabric is everywhere .I try to keep it organized ,but it is not always possible. If others show up at my house ,I just tell them this is my studio and where I work . My house is not spotless ,but its clean and doesn't smell .it gets cluttered as we live here ,its not a show home, Tell Em " to get over it , its not gonna change .  Its your HOME,  The nice thing about this site is we can talk to each other and know that someone here will have an opinion ,and usually one that helps all of us ..  Take Care and love what you do ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 986
Points 24,705

Remember...even dust bunnies need a place to live. When they get big enough to frighten my little dogs, I'll evict them. lol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,209
Points 253,384
Barbara replied on Tue, May 29 2012 8:53 AM

Mary , you are so funny, did you hav a good time at Diana's this weekend ? I hope you got some sewing done ..LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 407
Points 28,125

Mary:

Remember...even dust bunnies need a place to live. When they get big enough to frighten my little dogs, I'll evict them. lol

Mary, too cute. 

Since I have no animals which require feeding, I will keep my dust bunnies as long as they are willing to reside at my house.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Tue, May 29 2012 10:29 AM

No actually my by and my mother both appreciate the fact that I quilt. Also my sister in law quilts as well and my brother doesn't say anything about it to her or me. The only thing is if they know we're having financial troubles for awhile they mention not to buy fabric or other fun things at that time only.

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 555
Sheila L. replied on Tue, May 29 2012 11:30 AM

Love it Mary!!  I'm with you.

Sheila L

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 555
Sheila L. replied on Tue, May 29 2012 11:32 AM

Carey:  I have a friend who cannot quilt because of health issues and she says she is saving a lot of money not buying fabric.  I'm currently using lots of my stash.

Sheila L.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
omaew replied on Tue, May 29 2012 12:01 PM

My family (all married with kids of their own and grandkids! - how can this be when I am only 29 myself??☺ )   is very happy when I quilt.  For one reason, they know each of their children and grandchildren will have at least one of my quilts.  And another reason is when I am quilting I overcome clinical depression to a large degree for a little while.  My house is presentably clean but just in case I get caught up in quilting and I forget that I do need to clean house at least once in a while, I have a little cross stitch sign that says, "DUST TESTING IN PROGRESS.  DO NOT DISTURB SAMPLES".

But I do have a question:  can anyone tell me what a "ladder" stitch is?  I can't find it in the quilting dictionary.  Thanks a bunch.  Ola

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Tue, May 29 2012 12:04 PM

omaew

A ladder stitch is a stitch used in hand applique.  You bring your needle up from the bottom just catching the applique piece at the edge.  You go back down just beside the piece in the same place.  Then you move forward just a tiny bit and come back up.  You could probably find a demonstration on utube if you type in ladder stitch in their search engine.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 555
Sheila L. replied on Tue, May 29 2012 1:40 PM

I like your cross-stitch. I've seen one that says "The house was clean, sorry you missed it"

Sheila L.

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 555
Sheila L. replied on Tue, May 29 2012 1:44 PM

I "GOOGLE"ed   Ladder Stitch and discovered that there was a name for what I had been doing when making pillows! Sometimes I think that great ideas float around in the air and the we just catch them.  I wonder if the ladies who do wonderful applique use this stitch.

Sheila L.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,619
Points 24,750
Susie replied on Tue, May 29 2012 2:22 PM

My kids think I have a problem and jokingly have said that they are going to stage an intervention.  I explained that the only problem I have is not enough space for my stash.  Which got them laughing that because I call it a stash, it's a problem.  I simply shrugged and said that it just meant I needed a larger house.

And it's all because I got a heck of a deal on fabric at the local WM in Louisiana while I was waiting for my hotel room to be ready.  They had TONS of clearance fabric.  I got about 18 yards of material (various prints) for just over $13.  While I don't generally buy fabric without a plan, some of the prints were just too cute to pass up.  My steal of the deal is two different pieces that look like they should be used for table cloths.  I'm going to turn them into sun dresses for the grands so they have something new and pretty to wear to my brother's wedding in July.  $0.50 per yard! 

Chicagoland, Illinois

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 555
Sheila L. replied on Tue, May 29 2012 3:44 PM

Susie:  Wow!!!  That is even a better deal than I got lately.  I think that if you buy would you like, you WILL use it at some point. I got two lovely pieces in red & gold for $5.00 a meter and thought that was great because they would normally be $15.00 a meter.  I'm going to to a Hunter's Star with them. Can't wait to get started.

Is anyone else having trouble reading this size of font?  When I e-mail, I use a larger font so that I can proof read what I've written.  Guess age is sneaking up!.

Sheila L.

Page 4 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use