Top 10 Posters

Does your family think quilting is a waste of time....

Page 1 of 6 (85 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 84 Replies | 21 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 1,780
Lindy Posted: Tue, May 22 2012 9:23 PM

So the other day my mother came over and of course my fabric was all over my sewing room, I was in the middle of straightening it up. She says "wow you have lots of fabric" and "you have been quilting", and of course I said yes. See the thing is I just got done ordering lots of fabric for my quilts and she doesn't understand why I love to quilt so much. She asked me why I just didn't go out and buy one for like 40 dollars I said that's not the point. She was also upset at me because I had let some stuff slide around the house that should have been done before the quilting. But, I would rather quilt of course. So the last couple of days I have been working on getting my house in order so that I can quilt or do small projects. I just wanted to know if anyone else gets flack from there family?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Tue, May 22 2012 9:30 PM

I don't have people tell me that I'm wasting my time, but I do hear that I'm wasting my money that should be spent on other things.  When I ask for clarification, I'm told various things (movies, entertainment, new clothes, etc.)  My response is that I don't spend money on jewelry or personal things, but on my quilting hobby.  At least I'm not dropping $80 on a round of golf that is over in 3 hours and nothing to show for the money I've spent.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Tue, May 22 2012 9:33 PM

oklahomamom2,

My Mother is the exact same way. She has never understood why I don't just buy a "blanket" that was made in China and throw it on the bed. Even though she has made a few simple quilts in her day and my Grandmother quilted to some extent. She thinks it's all ridiculous. I do have one daughter who also thinks quilting is a waste of time.  With three kids her time isn't her own. What she doesn't realize is that I have put in my "family" time and now that my husband and I are retired we are doing things we like to do.  My other three kids are very supportive and understanding and DH is behind me 100%. He has never complained or said a word about the amount of fabric I have or my machines. In fact, he purchased my Gammill for me when we went to the quilt show in Nashville. 

My house is neat and clean but I don't make my housework my priority like I did in my younger days. There are more things in life than cleaning house. Maybe our Mothers are  jealous of our fun time. Something they were never able to have.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,351
Points 46,480
Angele replied on Tue, May 22 2012 9:46 PM

Oklahomamom2, my Mother still quilts at 89 years old.  Of course not as much as she used to, but she still does some.  My DH supports me specially since I made him one with horses all over and then a Turning Twenty with flannels!  I guess he would like to see me get money for my work instead of me giving most of them away, but that is who I am and this is what I like to do.  He knows that Quilting makes me happy,   and it is like him with his hobby farm.  I think this is a very healthy hobby.  It keeps me sane....LOL  at least I think it does...

Angèle  from NWO

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, May 22 2012 10:01 PM

My mom started to say something years ago, but I think I put her in her place immediately and now she oohs, and ahhhs, but I don't think she means that 100%.  I think she is a wee bit jealous that the time I spend quilting, I could be spending with her.  What does set her off is when I give my quilts away, remarking that no one will ever appreciate and know the work involved, and the cost.  My response - I don't care, I give them away with love and I determine who the privileged recipients are. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,362
Points 415,009
gini replied on Tue, May 22 2012 11:10 PM

everyone in my family loves my quilts.   i could sew two rags together and my mom and dad would think it was the most wonderful thing ever.  occasionally,  sam gets a little testy about having a clean house, but that's a separate issue from the quilting.   he loves my quilts and quilting, too.   i did get some strange looks from some family members, when i made the twinchies (two inch quilts).   they were puzzled over their utility.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, May 22 2012 11:24 PM

Everyone in my family accepts and most understand my passion.  I was visiting with my 22 year old last week and telling him of all my quilting adventures.  He laughed and i told him I know I am crazy.  He said it was cool.  He wished he had something he was as passionate about.  Pretty good coming from a 22 yr old.  My DD also quilts and my sisters and mom.  We built our house to accommodate my quilting needs and my DH does most of the cooking and cleaning so I can quilt and run my business and quilt ministry ...and work full time.  I feel like there are things you shouldn't neglect but I also feel you need to decide for yourself how you want to spend your time.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 788
Points 20,025
Carol replied on Tue, May 22 2012 11:38 PM

Jeanine:
 I feel like there are things you shouldn't neglect but I also feel you need to decide for yourself how you want to spend your time.
  Jeanine, you are a woman who says the exact thing I would, seems we think alike, I always like your comments - quilting first, always!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,840
Nana replied on Tue, May 22 2012 11:43 PM

Oklahoma

I definitely get flack from my family over the amount of time I spend quilting and fabric shopping.   You would think I was taking food out of their mouths at times  or heaven forbid even worse....not bothering to fix dinner one night...ROFLOL    And they are all adults that are able to take care of themselves.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,330
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Tue, May 22 2012 11:45 PM

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about what anyone thinks because I live alone. But most of my grandchildren love their quilts and a couple of them ask for more!! One of my daughters-in-law, who I know loves my quilting, will receive all my quilts and wall hangings one day. Almost all my family and friends know that I quilt mostly for charity or for ministries that I support within my church. They think that I should be selling quilts. They don't understand that I don't make quilts for money. Each quilt has a lot of love going into it for the person who receives it. That's all the payment I need.

Hugs

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,488
Points 362,222
Kris replied on Wed, May 23 2012 12:52 AM

Oklahoma Mom,

sorry your mother doesn't get it. 

I am fortunate to have a very supportive DH. He has no problems with my quilting and encourages my quilty ventures.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, May 23 2012 4:23 AM

OKMOM ,so soory to hear your family is not supportive,  My lste hubby was to a point, but wasnot understand about the fabric purchases,but that is no longer and issue ,My son lives with me now and is very supportive of my passion ,and tells me he is so gald I'm not one of those MOM's sitting around watching soaps ,waiting for my time .. that I'm going on the retreats and meeting my quilting friends for lunch ,going on bus tours  etc, so I'd just tell her ,she doesn't know what she missing and give a big smile... Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Oklahomamom2, I come from a family, my mother's side who are quilters.  You could say that it is in my genes.  Thankfully I don't encounter that, my opwn mother began quilting a few years after she had suffered a brain anyurism.  She makes the most beautiful quilts with only the use of her left hand and foot as she is paralyized on her right side.  So sorry to hear that your mom does not understand why you like to quilt.  Some people just can't understand the joy and happiness it brings.

Margaret

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

I'm fortunate to have a very loving and understanding hubby. He has his hobbies and I have mine. My dream when he retires later this year would be to travel the world. That will not happen due to my health. It's just too unpredictable. Going to retreats and quilting as well as knitting and cooking are all great hobbies for me. Too bad cleaning house isn't one of my hobbies! lol

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,540

I haven't had that experience but I have had the "you don't look like a quilter" and that really angers me.  If you like to do something do it.

Northern VA

"Fabricologist Resource Center" ...now doesn't that sound more impressive than "fabric stash" ?

Page 1 of 6 (85 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use