Top 10 Posters

Wanting to get more serious about quilting...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 285
Melissa Posted: Sun, May 20 2012 5:12 PM

Hey everyone. :-) I would really love to make a small business out of quilting, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. See, I'm a stay at home mom and I want to work from home. I'm very attracted to the design aspect of quilting. I've designed several quilts and wall hangings. I love to play with color and design. I like machine applique (I haven't tried it by hand yet) and I can free motion quilt (still pretty basic, but I only learned how to do it not that long ago). Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could start maybe a pattern business or something similar? I think that's the area that I would like to get into. If anyone has any other suggestions for a small business, I would appreciate it. A whole lot. :-) I am rather new to quilting, but I just love it. I've always been into art, I used to draw and paint before I got married and had kids. I just really prefer quilting. I'm in college, but I would really like to have my own business. Though new to quilting, I really want to get a lot more involved in it.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,842
Points 248,959
Barbara replied on Sun, May 20 2012 5:40 PM

Melissa, I know there is a web site that you can post your work and sell it ,but I cannot remember the name ,maybe some other form here can help you with that. I would suggest making things and posting them, but I really can't tell you Any more  .Let your local quilt shops know that you are available for making quilts , there are always people looking for someone to do one.  Any way I want to wish you good luck in your dream. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,030
Linda replied on Sun, May 20 2012 5:44 PM

I have heard others say that they just submiyyed their designs to quilting magazines and such. Then eventually they were asked to do books. I don't know from experience, but hopefully that will help.  Good luck.

Linda

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Mon, May 21 2012 8:00 AM

Have you checked out Etsy?  People sell their patterns on that site.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,842
Points 248,959
Barbara replied on Mon, May 21 2012 8:15 AM

Sheri thanks I knew there was a name for that site I just could't think of the name ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Mon, May 21 2012 5:30 PM

Barbara:

Sheri thanks I knew there was a name for that site I just could't think of the name ..Barbara

Happy to help, Barbara :)  Thought that might have been the site you were thinking of.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:01 PM

Original patterns can be sold on craftsy.com

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use