Opinions and Input - Or Help

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580
Melissa Halpain posted on Sat, May 19 2012 9:22 PM

Hi everyone,  Hope you are all having a great weekend.

My question is this. I am finishing a quilt for my nephew's wedding gift. The quilt turned out beautiful but I was wondering about the batting. I know a lot of you use expensive batting and use only a certain kind of batting.  I am short on funds right now due to a death in the family and unplanned trips I have had to take recently. I was thinking of get some batting at JoAnn's for only $4.99 a yard. I usually get my batting at my LQS, but as I said, I am trying to save money so that I can go to the wedding in June. 

I would appreciate any input, suggestions and/or help any one can give me with batting.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,560 Posts
Points 246,112
Thea replied on Sat, May 19 2012 9:26 PM

Melissa - I can only say this - you get what you pay for - maybe someone can help you out with some batting?  I would be glad to send you a queen bat of Quilter's dream rather then have you put something that won't take the years of washing that cheap battings do - I buy mine wholesale so it isn't that much for me so email me - I think right now I have 6 batts in the storage room!  altheafoster@att.net    My bats are 100% cotton - and I use the Request - not the thinnest but next up from it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Sat, May 19 2012 9:43 PM

Do you have any coupons for Joann's? You can buy the more expensive batting at 40 or 50% off with a coupon. If you don't have coupons, sign up for their e-mails and they'll send you some, also at my Joann's they often have the flyer with coupons near the entrance of the store.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, May 19 2012 9:50 PM

Iwould definitely go the coupon at Joann's route. I too think you should use something a little better. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sat, May 19 2012 9:56 PM

Melissa

Our JoAnn's here has a batting that is prepackaged 100% cotton that is a very good inexpensive batting.  It has Rose in the name but I don't remember the whole name.  It is very soft and has a beautiful drape to it.  The queen size is around $20.  I have used it a few times and found it to do very well.   Also if you have access to Quilter's Dream brand they make one from recycled bottles that is a really soft batting and sews and washes well.  It feels the same as their 100% cotton.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, May 19 2012 10:16 PM

I have made plenty quilts with joanns batting.  It isn't what I use now it if money is an issue, I would go with what you can afford.  It may not last into the next century but it will be fine for many years to come.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Melissa,I have used the Quilter Dream made with the recycled soda bottles and I love it , it washes up well and is very nice to work with , You can't go wrong using it, Also I agree with Jacy  use your discout cupons form Joann's to get the better batting , ,good luck Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
180 Posts
Points 2,310
MizPat replied on Mon, May 21 2012 4:41 PM

Hi Melissa,

Only sugestion I'd make is to be sure that whatever batting you use has a soft drape to it.  My first quilt, I bought some batting, don't recall the brand or even if it was branded.  Basted my handpieced top with the help of my seventy-plus mother, both of us crawling around on her kitchen floor!  Picked the basted quilt up and it stood straight out from my hand!   Seems my mystery batt was an upholstery batt, not a quilt batt!  That was my introduction to not all batts are created equal! 

Beyond that, get the best batt you can afford.  Fairfield  or Mountain Mist are reasonably priced batts that have many years and millions of quilters to their credit. 

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,076 Posts
Points 66,445
Robin replied on Mon, May 21 2012 5:25 PM

Melissa,

You can also use a 40% coupon for Hobby Lobby it you have one in your area.  You can find the coupon online at their site.   They have package and bolt batting.   Polyester and cotton.

Robin

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Tue, May 22 2012 6:53 AM

Melissa,

I think as long as you use 100% cotton batting you'll be fine. (at least that's my preference). JoAnn's has a brand called 'Pell' I think and its fantastic. As always with a coupon any batting at JoAnn's is much more cost effective than LQS batting. I have stopped using LQS batting and only use batting from JoAnn's as it works great on my small budget.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, May 22 2012 8:46 AM

I just opened up a packaged batting I bought at JoAnn's it was extremely cheap but since it said 100% cotton, I figured I'd give it a try.  Not a good idea, very thin and bare in some spots.  Maybe I can use it to practice on, lesson learned only Warm & Natural for me!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825

I donated a lot of batt to Nan when I went up for Quilted Hugs. Some poly from Wlamart and some Warm and Natural from my LQS.  I know Warm and Natural is expensive, but all the work I put in a quilt deserves the best batt. So, Warm and Natural it is for me. I love the feel of a quilt with W & N batt.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,304 Posts
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Tue, May 22 2012 9:46 AM

This may not be a help since you have to spend $50 for free shipping. Currently Connecting Threads has most of their battings at 30% off. The Heirloom which is what I now faithfully use is $13.99 for a queen size. Free shipping applies only to online orders.

Just from experience on the machine quilting I absolutely stay away from 100% polyester because it is a bear to quilt compared to the 80% cotton 20% polyester mix. I also like their fabrics so I make sure I never run out of the batting plus have a good reason to add a bit of fabric for my projects.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
1,514 Posts
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Tue, May 22 2012 9:48 AM

I only use Warm and natural or Warm and White cotton batting.  I buy it by the bolt when I have a 50% coupon.  When I need a king size batting, I just wait for it to go on sale or use the 40% coupon, whichever is more of a sale.  If I'm going to do the work involved in making the top, I want the best batting I can afford,.  I know that the batting can be expensive, but it is worth it in the end product.

Diana in East Tn. 

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use