Top 10 Posters

What to make for my nephew's wedding? (I'm a beginner)

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 805
jrcgj Posted: Sat, May 19 2012 3:44 PM

I do have another question. My nephew is getting married in May 2013 and since I'm a beginner I was wondering what kind of quilt to make? Any suggestions?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, May 19 2012 5:48 PM

Disappearing 9-Patch is very easy to do but looks much harder; Yellow Brick Road is a "go-to" pattern for many quilters; and  patterns from any of the Turning Twenty series would be nice (they can be made larger by using 30 fat quarters and adding borders).

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Sat, May 19 2012 9:16 PM

jrcgj,

Pat gave you some really good suggestions for quick and easy quilts and work very well for beginners. Those would of been my choices. Your nephew and wife will love any pattern you make because "Aunt" made it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,253
Points 239,992
Thea replied on Sat, May 19 2012 9:23 PM

Jrcgi, what kind of quilt would you like to make?  Do you want something that looks spectacular but is easy to make - or do you want just a simple quilt that they can use all the time... I think the neatest looking quilts are made with 1/2 square triangles in the Ohio Star - it is an awesome looking quilt and not that hard - but would love to help you decide... I would not recommend a log cabin for a beginner but I would recommend almost any star pattern except the mariner's star!

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 805
jrcgj replied on Sun, May 20 2012 7:42 AM

I'm still not sure. I don't want to make it too simple. I asked what the color of their bedroom is, and she said white. Then I had my daughter ask what their favorite colors are, and Katie said pink for her and blue for Matt. So I don't want it looking like a baby quilt. I was thinking on maybe different hues of blue and pink. Any Help would be much appreciated.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 805
jrcgj replied on Sun, May 20 2012 7:42 AM

I'm still not sure. I don't want to make it too simple. I asked what the color of their bedroom is, and she said white. Then I had my daughter ask what their favorite colors are, and Katie said pink for her and blue for Matt. So I don't want it looking like a baby quilt. I was thinking on maybe different hues of blue and pink. Any Help would be much appreciated.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 805
jrcgj replied on Sun, May 20 2012 8:13 AM

I clicked on enter twice, How do I get the second reply off.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 805
jrcgj replied on Sun, May 20 2012 8:13 AM

I clicked on enter twice, How do I get the second reply off.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, May 20 2012 9:29 AM

Sometimes the site will catch the double post and not allow it.  All you can do is edit it to delete the words and write duplicate or just ignore it.  We all understand this "feature" of the site.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, May 20 2012 9:31 AM

I would go with blues and maybe more of a maroon or burgundy for contrast to keep it looking more "adult".

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, May 20 2012 9:59 AM

I think the BQ quilts are nice for wedding quilts.  I just did one for a customer last month.  They are modern and look more complicated than they are.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,286
Points 173,448
Marie replied on Sun, May 20 2012 10:21 AM

Jeanine:
I think the BQ quilts are nice

Jeanine, I love this!  My DGS loves orange and a little teal mixed in and he wants a simple layout, nothing fancy, he's an engineer.  He's picked out batiks in those colors, no prints or flowers.  What would you do for a background color and would you choose the teal around the background squares or one of the oranges?  What is the pattern called?

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,504
Points 50,725
Ginny replied on Sun, May 20 2012 10:30 AM

Jeanine, I relly like the uilt. But what does BQ stand for?   Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, May 20 2012 1:22 PM

BQ stands for Big Quilt I think but the pattern is called BQ.

http://www.mapleislandquilts.com/images/Product/large/MIQ705.jpg

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, May 20 2012 2:08 PM

Marie:

Jeanine:
I think the BQ quilts are nice

Jeanine, I love this!  My DGS loves orange and a little teal mixed in and he wants a simple layout, nothing fancy, he's an engineer.  He's picked out batiks in those colors, no prints or flowers.  What would you do for a background color and would you choose the teal around the background squares or one of the oranges?  What is the pattern called?

This is BQ2...a little bit different.  

The background should be a lighter contrast.  A light batik that isn't too busy maybe.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use